Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on SRS 1-hour races and pitstops
Question 
Hello drivers. I have completed 130 races on SRS, although all of them have been 20-minute races and I still consider myself a novice. I'm looking to get into the hour-long Audi TT RS races in the new 6-week series starting next week. I understand that these races have a mandatory pitstop and they have accelerated fuel usage (170%). May I ask you all some questions so I don't embarrass myself my first time out? Apologies if the answers seem completely obvious to you.
  1. Does the Audi TT RS have the push-to-pass feature that I need to map to a wheel button, or is that just in the TT Cup?
  2. Do you replace your tires during the pitstop?
  3. When do the majority of drivers take their pitstop (on average)? 20 minutes into the race? 30? 40? 50?
  4. Does anybody do a pitstop more than once (besides if they're severely wrecked or they made a miscalculation on fuel)? Is a 1-stop strategy the most ideal?
  5. What determines how long you have to stay in the pit? How much fuel/repairs/tires? How do I know when the pit services are completed and I can exit my pit stop?
  6. Is there anything you were unaware of before your first hour-long race that you wish you had been told?
Thank you to my fellow SRS drivers for offering your advice.

[Image: vpxgQrb.jpg]
1) Don't know need to test
2)See below
3)most people go 50:50 depending on tires/fuel. You can sometimes gain by off setting your stop to run in clear traffic.
4)Depends on car. Least number of stops you can get away with is best.
5)See below. You cannot exit once pit has started. Best thing to do is a practice session and see what happens.
6)Have a drink handy and go to the loo before you start.

I'll go into more detail after some testing but my general approach is.

Do some practice laps to get yourself a rough race pace. You can then work out how many laps the race will be. 3600/(your lap time in seconds)= laps. I always round up and +1

Use side kick to find your fuel usage. https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads...ick.11007/ .Don't use the default calculations as it's not always accurate. To adjust for 170 fuel usage just practice at 100 fuel usage and x1.7 Again round up a little to be safe.

You can then work out how much fuel you need for the whole race. Laps x fuel

Next step is to see how long a set of tires last. That you will have to do a long run and see as loads of variables setup, compound etc.

*this bit is important!
Then see how long it takes to fuel/change tires.
Ideal world you put in the same time of fuel in as it takes to change tires.
If you have a car that is slow to fill i will always start with a full tank and top up. Nothing worse than waiting on fuel if you could have started with more.
If tires are slow it doesn't really matter as you can fill up no problem.

Some cars take a very long time to fill up!

You can then work out your strategy.
How much fuel can the car carry/how far will that get you. Do you need to add more
How long did the tires last. Can you do an hour/30min/20min. This dictates number of stops.

Pre set a few different strategies in the steup. You can access during the race using d pad or arrows on keyboard.

This isn't car specific just how i approach longer races.
I could go on a lot more but thats the basics. Once i've done some tesing with the car i'll post up more info unless someone else beats me to it.
Shaun Clarke Racing (Previously TPCSimRacing) driver and painter.
https://www.facebook.com/PlankLiveries
Great response, Michael! That really helps!

Thanks for taking the time to type it out for me and I hope somebody else as clueless as me can gain some insight from it.
In CM you can simulate 170 fuel rate, also higher tyre rate if any (not here).

To calculate fuel effectively, there a couple of  apps like "ACRLfuel" or "fuel usage", they are both accurate, the default one not so much.

Some might pit early because they ve put less fuel, which makes you a little faster at the beginning of the race when it's easier to gain positions or make gaps, with most cars, the difference between let's say 20l and 100l load is about 0.5s a lap. I would say it's more interesting to put more fuel at the start if you are mid pack on the grid for example as the first laps are gonna be slow anyway and you won't really be able to exploit the lower weight, or you are confident enough you will still have the pace even loaded. It can as well be linked just to how long the tyres will last so your refueling time is equal to swapping tyres.

Probably the biggest advantage you can get to pit at a particular point in the race is if you don't get as much traffic out of the pit, but that's usually pitting later. Crewchief does simulate where you will come back on the track, you can even map that function on your wheel. I would advise having something mapped so you are able to tune how much fuel you will add while racing, and adjust your strategy on the fly.
And here's a helpful video I just watched on AC pit stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRfYLAo...PRfYLAoN3w
(09-08-2018, 02:55 PM)David Weber Wrote:  Hello drivers. I have completed 130 races on SRS, although all of them have been 20-minute races and I still consider myself a novice. I'm looking to get into the hour-long Audi TT RS races in the new 6-week series starting next week. I understand that these races have a mandatory pitstop and they have accelerated fuel usage (170%). May I ask you all some questions so I don't embarrass myself my first time out? Apologies if the answers seem completely obvious to you.
  1. Does the Audi TT RS have the push-to-pass feature that I need to map to a wheel button, or is that just in the TT Cup?
  2. Do you replace your tires during the pitstop?
  3. When do the majority of drivers take their pitstop (on average)? 20 minutes into the race? 30? 40? 50?
  4. Does anybody do a pitstop more than once (besides if they're severely wrecked or they made a miscalculation on fuel)? Is a 1-stop strategy the most ideal?
  5. What determines how long you have to stay in the pit? How much fuel/repairs/tires? How do I know when the pit services are completed and I can exit my pit stop?
  6. Is there anything you were unaware of before your first hour-long race that you wish you had been told?
Thank you to my fellow SRS drivers for offering your advice.

[Image: vpxgQrb.jpg]
Be prepared for many drop outs as people get ‘tired’?
Also mandatory pit stop means change tires or add at least 1 unit of fuel. If you have a car that can do a race on tires and fuel just stop for 1litre of fuel ?. Some long races that works.

Great tips James. I really need to download crew chief.
Ok test done on Silverstone Gp. Medium tires,50L fuel
I'm geared to 162mph. Tires 17psi front/19psi rear

My race pace will be around 2:07. Round this down to 2.05 to be safe. 3600/125 = 28.8laps round up to 29L (3600 in an hour in seconds btw. 60x60)

Fuel usage was 2.6L a lap. x 1.7 for fuel useage= 4.42 per Lap (4.5 to be safe) Would be interesting to see how this compares to those using CM.

Fuel for race (29x4.5) 130.5 Liters for race distance.

Audi TT VLN holds 110 Litres so we will need to stop for 21L. Usefull to know that if we start on a full tank our first stop must be after Lap 5 (21/4.5 =4.6) to get to the end.

Tires i feel will need to be changed. Softs will overheat, Mediums will happily go 30-40 mins. Don't think they will go a full distance but will decide during the race. You could make up a lot of time by not changing tires.

Tires take about the same time to change as a full tank of fuel.

Fuel usage will be doubled checked in Quali

For me it will be either

Full tank and start on mediums. See how far i can go. Pit late as possible and only change tires if needed. Risky but has paid off in the past and gives you most options.

Do a simple 50:50. Start with 70L stop at 30mins add 65L and change tires. Safe and what most people go for.

And one just to throw out there.
Start on softs with 30L fuel make use of the extra grip light car. Stop on lap 6 add 100L and change to mediums to the end. This is risky as you could get caught up in t1 accident and your screwed. And it's puts you on a set strategy with little wiggle room.

The above only takes account of my pace. I could be well off the pace but we won't know until race day. If you want more options wait until after race one and check the results for more accurate lap times/race distance.

My brain now hurts so off for a nice whisky. Hope that offers so help to a few people.

*I would always double check numbers, I'm not responsible if you run out of fuel during the race if you just copy the above and i've got it horribly wrong.
Awesome analysis, Michael Martin! This was for the Audi TT RS, correct?
correct