Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test before joining SRS
An example to try and explain what I feel is the difference in Sim racers which I feel gives this 'taken too seriously' feeling on the sim racing forums and post race chat.

https://youtu.be/J4bOQsdH4Ic?t=59s

Take that move for example. Kristiensen pulls a great move on Spengler. Celebrated move, no issue from stewards. If that move was in a Sim race, post race you'd hear about it. 'That it was a foul move', 'no room', 'you pushed me off' etc.

There are rules here in SRS. I interpret their rather slim nature to emphasise that at the end of the day this is supposed to be fun and not require a 33 page PDF with a plethora of sub context rules and regulations.

Again, those that blatantly abuse the rules and are disrespectful should be highlighted and sifted out. But a novice driver that gets a bit flustered when he's being lapped under blue flags and so inevitably does what in reality he's trying to avoid in blocking you. He should not be berated and encouraged to 'learn offline'. Because this is an open platform for all. So long as there was no intention, there should be more patience.

Another classic example is the thread about weekend racers. That's the mentality I'm pointing out. So, less experienced players should not be allowed to join? because they make more frequent mistakes due to lack of experience?

Common sense works both ways. As much as it sucks being hit, forced off line, blocked by a back marker. Ask yourself if it was intentional or an accident that can be forgiven.

Don't get me wrong. I also get pissed myself sometimes. But I'd rather see this forum full of replays with contact like the vid above, than listening to some of the regulars boast about how many reports they file or the constant moaning about less regular players.

I love the current Primera championship that I'm participating in here because of the close door to door racing and with some true BTCC style bumps and taps. But I know some of the people I'm racing in there don't find it as enjoyable for the very same reason.
Interesting video. Let's pretend your youtube example of professional drivers was a replay from a race in AC. The example you posted wouldn't be protested because the guy at fault (Driver A, on the outside) was successfully overtaken by Driver B. Driver B isn't going to report the other dude for preventing the pass because he succeeded. However... had Driver B NOT succeeded in passing Driver A who did not leave space and pushed him off track resulting in a spin/wreck/whatever... you bet it would be a protest-able event. So while I enjoyed the video, I don't think it makes any arguments for you.

Maybe you aren't responding to me directly (although the mention of "boasting about how many reports they file" seems directed at me since I think I might be the only one that has mentioned quantity of protests filed on these forums in the time that I've been here), but if so, let me reitertate what I've been arguing and what I have not been arguing:

I'm not at all arguing that less experienced players should be disallowed from joining. I'm arguing that players should be educated before joining. Experience and knowledge ARE linked, to be fair, but someone who knows how they should be behaving on track yet is not yet skilled to safely behave correctly is certainly better than someone who does not know how to behave. Or worse... specifically does not care to behave in the first place.

As you say: intention is important. If someone is trying to be safe and fails, that's way better than someone that either isn't trying to be safe, or specifically doesn't know/care that they SHOULD be safe. You know who gets a pass from me making a video protest filed against them? Someone who apologizes either in chat or via PM. It's just that easy. Everyone here can fuck up, even if they know exactly what is and isn't considered good behavior. But if you 1) don't know you fucked up or 2) don't care you fucked up, then how would getting warned/suspended/banned be something anyone could argue against?

Your points about the style of racing based on the car are well taken as well. However, since this is the Internet where not everyone has been racing since they were doing karts at 7 years old, and not an actual race track in reality with nothing but professional drivers all around you, it could certainly be argued that "close door to door racing with bumps and taps" should be explicitly in the rules as stuff you shouldn't be doing OR stuff that is permitted within reason. Due to the structure of SRS championship points being penalized by merely coming into contact with another car it could be argued that there are mixed messages there. Are we supposed to avoid contact completely (point deduction) or is it okay (the Regulation page qualifying "abusive contact" being against the rules, rather than just "contact".).

Better rules (not 33 pages... but more than a half of one), and some way to force existing and especially new SRS members to at least glance over them before they register for their next race. That's literally all I'm arguing for.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(08-17-2018, 11:17 PM)John Gordon wrote : Wrote:  There are rules here in SRS. I interpret their rather slim nature to emphasise that at the end of the day this is supposed to be fun and not require a 33 page PDF with a plethora of sub context rules and regulations.

Again, those that blatantly abuse the rules and are disrespectful should be highlighted and sifted out. But a novice driver that gets a bit flustered when he's being lapped under blue flags and so inevitably does what in reality he's trying to avoid in blocking you. He should not be berated and encouraged to 'learn offline'. Because this is an open platform for all. So long as there was no intention, there should be more patience.
I disagree. In my opinion the SRS platform is not open to all. It is open to those who follow the rules or ,when failing to do so, are willing to apologise by yielding or sending a PM or learaning from their mistakes. Hence it is not open to those who keep breaking the rules. Fun is the whole point but one should always be mindful of making other`s race fun, not only your own.

Again, I`m trying to emphasise that none of us really has the authority to say what SRS is, although the admin actions make it clear that general racing rules are to be enforced.