Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPA racing
(07-12-2018, 08:47 PM)Erik Hanoy Wrote:  Got a name I didnt knoe on 4th, right behind me. He bumped into me 6 times during lap 1, I finally got far enough ahead, but then on the last lap, he smashed me in the bus stop, and then hit me again after the race. It gave me 13 inc. Tried to send him a message, but he had blocked his message box (I wonder why....)

If you start races on the middle, that happens almost all the time ...
2 or 3 dirty racers is enougth to make a nightmare of first turn for many people, domino effect

Most drivers are fair, but if they are not, the rating is not doing it's work.
We need much more severe penalties, and the protest form should be in case you get banned and it's not your fault only.
Indeed there does not seem to be any real penalties on SRS that would downgrade and potentially remove wreckers. With KMR server app it's not overly successful either but that's because of how it is setup for losing and gaining "safety" rating. The loss of points from contacts pretty much does not seem to matter to 50% of starting field and they do what ever they want and do not try to avoid contacts.

You can often see that there are people finishing say 5th that get more championship points than a person finishing 2nd, all due to contacts.

The protest form is time consuming with results taking a lot of time if they give any penalty from it at all. And it's no wonder if it's a one poor person processing all these protests in their free time.
That's why a sophisticated automated system is a better solution to dealing with wreckers, bumpers, etc. The rules to make it work are fairly simple.

The SRS rating also does not seem to be a safety rating, more of an overall performance rating, making it kind of useless to try and limit series by this rating to make it safer.

On Spa with DTM there can also be the problem of some people doing 180km/h in Eau Rouge instead of 200km/h, not sure it happens on SRS but it does on public KMR servers. Sometime people go stupidly slow, sometimes stupidly fast and fly out in corners.
My last two Spa races have been pretty bad. People are way too aggressive even when I leave room to go two wide.

More emphasis on safety needed. I have < 1.4 average incident rating. It's more important for me to race cleanly than it is to win; however, I think my mentality is in the minority.

I like the 1hr races. People tend to race much cleaner in those races. It's about consistency and longevity. It's more satisfying to ride someone lap after lap and watch them spin out or miss a braking point, which you then use to make a clean pass.
(07-13-2018, 12:17 PM)Jaroslav Černý Wrote:  Indeed there does not seem to be any real penalties on SRS that would downgrade and potentially remove wreckers. With KMR server app it's not overly successful either but that's because of how it is setup for losing and gaining "safety" rating. The loss of points from contacts pretty much does not seem to matter to 50% of starting field and they do what ever they want and do not try to avoid contacts.

You can often see that there are people finishing say 5th that get more championship points than a person finishing 2nd, all due to contacts.

The protest form is time consuming with results taking a lot of time if they give any penalty from it at all. And it's no wonder if it's a one poor person processing all these protests in their free time.
That's why a sophisticated automated system is a better solution to dealing with wreckers, bumpers, etc. The rules to make it work are fairly simple.

The SRS rating also does not seem to be a safety rating, more of an overall performance rating, making it kind of useless to try and limit series by this rating to make it safer.

On Spa with DTM there can also be the problem of some people doing 180km/h in Eau Rouge instead of 200km/h, not sure it happens on SRS but it does on public KMR servers. Sometime people go stupidly slow, sometimes stupidly fast and fly out in corners.

Confused Your critique needs to be more constructive. There are many things not working within SRS but for many people that joined this is the cleanest racing one can get online.

You want an automated system then present how you want it to work, with details. From my perspective automated systems hurt fair racers just as much. Sometimes I get 4 inc points because someone punted me in T1 and made a domino - still no fault = 4 inc. points. At the end of one race some guy thought it would be ok to hit me to show me his manliness. I ended that race with 8 inc points. Rolleyes

I agree that there seems to be a problem with "hard racers" joining vs severity of punishment. Every single protest I made came back with penalty result for the crasher, yet I still see the same people do the same stuff they were reported for. I wasn`t penalised (yet) though I`d think a week off from racing wouldn`t hurt me very much, now about a 1 month or permanent suspension I`d think differently.

I also want to say that SRS should not be for people still learning standard stuff. No, you should not take part in SRS races if you are still learning. If you`re off 5secs from leader that is ok as long as you don`t punt other people, make a safe T1 and generally race fairly. Now if you can`t do standard stuff, you either learn it offline or you get penalised heavily for ruining other people`s race.

Lastly, I see people with names like MCGyver, pretty obvious not their real names, so the protest system or automated system has no point to it anyway.

Some people just do not learn, simple as that. Should not be allowed to join an SRS race ever again.
The rules for detecting collisions and faults are fairly simple, problem is to get accurate data from the game and make the app.
Desired speed for a corner is known, going off track is known, if someone hit with their front to someone else's rear well who's at fault... often the one with front contact being behind unless the car in front has recently braked at a no brake zone or is doing other shenanigans such as weaving left and right or going too slow while being in race line. All the cases can be captured in software but most of the automated systems do not do this and apply more general blanket rules that often suck and penalize both drivers or even do not penalize the offender but penalize the victim such as can be the case with SRS :/ For example someone bombs into T1 and bumps your front with their rear, SRS will penalize the victim as far as I've seen because there is no speed check nor line check.

Leagues usually don't bother automating this as they used to have several spectators watching the field and specific corners to issue live penalties DT, SG, BF as needed live while the race is going. Of course in AC there being no spectating, no driver swapping and as a result almost no leagues beside amateur open to general public which are often no better than racing on a public server.

It can be made, the rules are clear and implementable in software to be automatically enforced.
SRS already has some implemented but with issues and doesn't truly penalize offenders, it doesn't give DT, SG or BF live in the race, neither does it give time penalties to results only point reductions which work in similar way but these penalties are irrelevant for most of the wreckers, they need DTs, SGs and BFs to feel the pain.
I think a general blank rule of 10 incidents per race resulting in a temp ban with extra (2.5-3x) incidents being placed on someone who rear ends a racer.

It seems like a fairly "simple" system to have an AI system detect front/rear collisions.

Current rules are a ban for 20x incidents per race. That's way too high, and needs to be lowered to 10x or less. I don't see why someone can't run a race with less than 5x incidents. I've been running real life track days for the last 8 years and have zero incidents - with walls or other cars... Why? Because it's real life and I can't afford to crash my own car... The consequences for screwing up need to be higher in order to push cleaner racing. SRS needs to recognize and award cleaner racing in order for it to become a goal to strive for. If higher finishing placement is awarded above clean racing, then people will race dirty to finish higher since it comes with better rewards over clean racing. In order for the system and mentality of people as a whole to change, clean racing needs to be advocated above everything else, with an incident free racing awarding a significant amount of points over someone finishing top-5 but with 1-2 incidents.
(07-16-2018, 05:57 AM)Albert Castro Wrote:  I think a general blank rule of 10 incidents per race resulting in a temp ban with extra (2.5-3x) incidents being placed on someone who rear ends a racer.

It seems like a fairly "simple" system to have an AI system detect front/rear collisions.

Current rules are a ban for 20x incidents per race. That's way too high, and needs to be lowered to 10x or less. I don't see why someone can't run a race with less than 5x incidents. I've been running real life track days for the last 8 years and have zero incidents - with walls or other cars... Why? Because it's real life and I can't afford to crash my own car... The consequences for screwing up need to be higher in order to push cleaner racing. SRS needs to recognize and award cleaner racing in order for it to become a goal to strive for. If higher finishing placement is awarded above clean racing, then people will race dirty to finish higher since it comes with better rewards over clean racing. In order for the system and mentality of people as a whole to change, clean racing needs to be advocated above everything else, with an incident free racing awarding a significant amount of points over someone finishing top-5 but with 1-2 incidents.

Totally agree ... except that 10 incidents is still too much for 20 min races.
Maybe if car/car counted as 2 incidents, and car/wall as 1, it would be ok.

And for 1h races, we can maybe allow some more indicents. What do you think ?

Edit: They closed a similar thread in sugestions ... instead of discussing how to improve with the comunity, they told us what we already know, and what we know it's not working ... Sad
Wreckers usually do not care about lost points or even final position in race, they want their "boost" "revenge" and this affects everyone sim racers, real racers, clean drivers overall that may get bumped and go on a revenge, it happens to everyone sometimes. But sometimes is OK, you know, once a month, or once in a long long while, still it can affect even real racers career that one adrenaline rush to get "justice".

A rules based race/track official watching system is possible IMHO but it needs to track things, make comparisons, know what car is too slow or too fast in that section etc.

An AI is a whole different animal and that could do it too for sure, where it would literally learn the rules but still need similar wide inputs to be worthwhile.

Right now there are people connecting to servers with 200ms+ latencies, because they can... but they can't on decent public KMR servers
maybe some are continuously causing incidents, again, because they "can"... but they can't on decent public KMR servers as they would run out of "money" and get kicked/banned (eventually)

I've seen races where people are joining with negative SRS rating literally. It would be better if there was say 100 starter rating and anyone below 0 would get suspended etc. for some time and later "resurrected" say with a 50 rating to try again.
Also make some series that is for new people to raise their rating while keeping most other series locked with a minimum rating requirement that can range from 200-800.
http://www.simracingsystem.com/showthrea...644&page=1

Good discussion with SRS going on here.
Quote:Also make some series that is for new people to raise their rating while keeping most other series locked with a minimum rating requirement that can range from 200-800.

I`d welcome this. Open wheel series have 500 rating required, that is pretty high and even if I qualify, I don`t race openwheel because of having bad reaction time. Tatuus races in pubs are some of the worst I`ve ever seen in online racing.
If we could maybe create junior series (like Formula raceroom JR or Seat TCR or Abarth SS) with no rating requirements and go up from there, say
170 for GT4
200 for GT3
250 for GT2
250 for fast street racing (eg. Ferrari F40, Cobra)
300 for DTM (90`s and 2016)
500 for LMP 2/1
600 for multiclass.

That said, current person I protested against has rating over 600 so go figure. Wink