Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MK-MotorsportDTM90
Personally I usually practice 30min before race, or try to. Another form of practice would be driving various cars, mixed cars and following people on Nordschleife, helps to practice safe distances and predict what other drivers may do, so that if they brake late and die you brake sooner and don't die, when they brake soon you don't rear end them and so on.

Locking brakes on Alfa is often caused by not so well made setup, especially springs, dampers and brake balance. Or outright not giving throttle when downshifting, that's a driver error and almost nothing will help with that setup wise as what you're doing as a driver is trying to drift and lock up rear tyres by downshifting before corner.
Seems qualification blocking is becoming the norm now. Use common sense please, don't rejoin from pits in front of someone else's hotlap. There is realtime default app to show you the distances as well as a map. The tracks are not so small and car count so high that we can't all fit on tracks well spaced and race fair.

---

The Alfa can definitely get a parity on Spa, tried it it's not bad at all and steers the same if not better than my E30, softer springs yay if only E30 could have that. Slow corners a bit of a drift fest but then that was the same with E30 at beginning, it goes away with learning the combo. The Alfa can do 2:32-2:33 same as E30. 2:31 probably even 2:30 possible with DTMs but I haven't seen any aliens or proper WRs with these combos.
I started off using the E30 for a good while in past DTM series. I've since switched to the 190E.

I refuse to use AWD where RWD is an option, so i'll just stick to being a mid-pack runner in the 190E.

As for qualifying, I don't even bother anymore. I hope to grid somewhere around 18-24. I'll usually make up the time and find myself in P10-P15 after the first lap of crashing, and usually finish top 10, or close to it.
14 laps on Laguna in 20min should be doable but very difficult. Would need an Alfa and/or an alien. Time loss in first lap is brutal to make up in remaining 12 laps, tyres don't last long enough to keep pushing consistently. Plus blue flaggers can get in the way too, making it a lottery even.

Also, please do not fly out of pits over sand onto track, it's a pit exit, go safe and reasonable speed so that you can make the tight narrow exit from pits cleanly. There is no rush exiting pits, plus you can see cars beside you entering T1 clearly or even in front of you in T1 as you drive from pits, go slow and safely, avoid disrupting and rejoining in front of a car on track.
Yes I do fly out of the pits relatively fast if you watch me, but I've done the exit out of pits on Laguna with E30 many many times to know when to brake to make the tight narrow exit corner and not fly into sand or even over sand onto track. Go safely and slower, don't try to replicate me Wink It all comes with practice, have patience and practice.
[Image: b8Q0Nio.png]
(07-10-2018, 02:21 AM)Albert Castro Wrote:  I started off using the E30 for a good while in past DTM series. I've since switched to the 190E.

I only use the Merc because I like the way it drives. I can usually get into the top 3 with it. Alfa is faster but it seems people have a hard time racing with them.
People have hard times with an Alfa because many of them would die if they took an RWD instead, need more practice and setup each car well for their driving preferences. Even on Mugello Alfa can keep up quite fine and that was probably the only track where the cars were closest to each other time wise. Once a track has slower or slow corners, Alfa wins, no question about it, AWD with too much power and no BoP power restriction.

Sure driving an Alfa very fast takes some skill but driving it fast is fairly easy compared to the RWDs. Switching from RWD to AWD always feels like cheating even with the Alfas pretty rudimentary and weak AWD system.
The Alfa can be set to steer well, to oversteer on power and all that to make it corner as well if not better than RWDs.
(07-18-2018, 01:02 PM)Jaroslav Černý Wrote:  The Alfa can be set to steer well, to oversteer on power and all that to make it corner as well if not better than RWDs.

Yeah, I like the Alfa. But I like the 190E better. More fun. But if I keep getting killed by Alfas both in laptimes and brakezones I might just up and switch.

I found an easy 1 sec advantage at spa with the Alfa over the Merc.
Lost my replay with 1.31.5 laptime, so maybe this 1.31.7 lap still can be useful for Alfa drivers.
https://youtu.be/fxjp7V02ca4
I switch too normally when it's a non BoPed multi car class and they get annoying with jumping starts, then blocking and blocking using their wider car that has better corner exits making it near impossible to overtake especially if they lag badly.
It's more challenging and more fun to drive an E30 DTM or the Merc so I simply try to avoid lagging Alfas by choosing sessions more carefully as I've had enough of their ramming and lagging on SRS. There are some very good Alfa drivers but very very few unfortunately, giving the car a bad reputation overall as a wrecker's car.

The worst with Alfa is it's AWD start where they gain 1 position for nothing and then often try and push you off or sandwich you in first corners. For 30min+ races I don't mind taking on the Alfas with all their advantages, it's fun but for <30min there often isn't enough time and opportunities to overtake when both drivers are about equal. For sprint races Alfa is super annoying to deal with and many will switch to it because of it. A 5% power BoP and 1 standing start position penalty for Alfa would go a long way to balance out the class, it would have the most powerful engine anyway as it's advantage power wise right now is around 9% over E30 and 8% over 190E, with 5% BoP bringing it down to 2-4% advantage only.

Any DTM series would then stop being so infested with Alfas and make for a more equal and challenging competition between the cars.

I've tried the Alfa on Spa and it was very steerable to my surprise, I've expected it to understeer but it can really be set not to even on tracks such as Spa where you have these slow and fast downhill corners and Eau Rouge.
Laguna... it's not even a question if Alfa is faster, the E30 struggles for traction all the time.
I've yet to drive a track beside probably pure oval where Alfa actually loses to an E30 or 190E.

That's a nice lap Oleksandr.