Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMW M3 E30 "Track guide" - Brands Hatch @ SRR/SRS
I recorded this a few minutes ago while trying out the car for tonight's race at Road America, so really basic but should give at least some references for the braking and to avoid the most obvious mistakes. It's always a good way to improve to put into thoughts what you should do or have done looking back at your laps which is something even real driving schools will suggest you to make, so it's a good way to train for me as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs0Am1Wi5ME

Quick rundown

Turn 1: Brake before the "2" mark, the sign is difficult to see, try to find your own landmark. Squeeze it as much as possible (so unlike my lap..) the car tends to run wide on the exit

Turn 2: Important one, brake at "2", get on the gas in 3rd as early as possible since there s a long straight ahead

Turn 5: "4" mark for the brakes, give it everything you got for about half of the braking zone, preferably in line, then start to easy it up, down to 3, keep the 3rd for a little while and some stream of brakes up until you are really close to the apex, only then go to 2nd at this point, so you don't upset the balance too much.
In general with this car, releasing some of the brake halfway will give you better braking, i mean more than with any other car, this is simply due to high ABS intervention set at 1 (that's max in AC) that you cannot change in the setup, so you want to try to just get away of the ABS treshold as quickly as possible, braking is more effective and you get more directionnal control of the car.

Turn 6: "1" mark under the bridge, probably not recommended to floor it right away, easy and progressive on the power and steering

Turn 7: Should be able to take this one flatout, turn early and smoothly. In the case you feel you are going to overshoot it, just do a little lift, but no brakes or you might loose it and spin. Turning early should prevent all that.

Turn 8: Exactly as turn 5, except mark "2", just before isn't bad to be safe, make sure to not have too much steering as well when getting on the throttle, especially if you are heading a bit wide on the pavement.

Carousel: Tricky as usual, there are several ways to do it, i find that holding it on the right quickly is probably safer with this car, as soon as you start to feel understeer, easy some throttle, depending how you are at that point you can make a little lift (not too abrupt or you rear is gonna get loose, but also can help you a little to turn), then while looking far head at the exit, you should be able to get on the gas as soon as you can see the grey pavement on the right.

Kink: Flatout like turn 7, turn in early and steady, it's easy to misjudge how well it's gonna track out in the end (just like i did heh), so remember to keep steering a little until you are completely out of this corner and don't go run in the grass.

Canada corner: Brake well before "3", no downshift in 2nd until close to the apex, easy on the power, might have to countersteer a bit otherwise.

Bill Mitchell Bend: No particular difficulty there, i keep the 3rd for a long time since if you get into 4th you are actually going to decelerate while turning and going up hill at the same time which is too much for this car in 4th, that is really too long and the powerband is very linear (more rev more power, and little torque)

Turn 14: Brake just before the grey pavement on the left, then quickly move your eyesight onto the apex and exit to judge when you can go full throttle, also very important due to the long finish line straight, as any difference is gonna stack up in the end. I would say getting close to 150 Km/h (sorry no mph) under the bridge, means you should have done it right.

Fuel: At least 26l (always depend on your pace or if you heel&toe, faster means you are usually more often on the throttle = more fuel)

I really don't know what's a good lap there with this car since there are no serious times on RSR leaderboard. I guess around 2.40 is decent but feel free to post your times.

edit: im not sure why youtube videos don't show on the forum lately (or it's just me)

Messages In This Thread
RE: BMW M3 E30 "Track guide" - Brands Hatch @ SRR/SRS - by James Blint - 06-09-2018, 01:05 PM