Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Points Calculation
I think that the points calculation for championships is harming participation. Currently you can race up to five times in a week and your best point score will be counted as your entry for that week, but if you race more than five it will be calculated as an average of all your results.
iRacing does a far better job of this, where your entry is calculated as the average of the best quarter of your results. If you race 1-4 times it counts your best one, if you race 5-8 times it's your best two averaged and so on.
In terms of championship points it is detrimental at the moment to race more than five races and the system is easily gamed. If you are a driver that generally ends up in split 2 or 3 you can jump into a race at a low-participation time that only runs on one server and toddle around at the back for a huge points boost over what you'd receive racing at busier times in split 2 or 3. As long as you don't exceed five races this "artificial" result will then be taken as your entry for the week.
My suggestion then, is to move to a system like iRacing but using the average of the best half of your results. SRS runs less races daily than iRacing so it makes sense to scale the number down. With this you can run one race and then a second one to attempt to improve your result for "free". Most racers will want to run more than two races a week, so they certainly will run a third and then after that there will always be a running incentive to race more to bring up the average.
Personally i really like the single event championships, it adds that uniqueness to a race on a particular track, more pressure and even sometimes a step further in the tactical element depending where you sit on the standing. On the other hand it's very nice to have the possibility to race any day of the week so everyone can find his time to participate in the championship, for some also having "redemption" races. In the Euro GT3 participation is high every day i think, i ve never seen anything below 60-70 drivers. The America GT3 is more of a struggle to find the required number of drivers to make a decent split (shame cause the track selection this month is awesome) but you are probably referring to some other series.
I suggested some time ago a system based on strength of field. Here it is.

Web page
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e...vP/pubhtml
XMLS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e...utput=xlsx
The idea was the higher the sof of the race the higher the scores. And it would be universal you wouldn't have to have different scoring systems. Its based on the difficulty of the race so it doesn't matter if you have 1, 4 or 10 servers.

But there doesn't seem to be any interest in changing. Also the points are a bit of a dick measuring contest anyway.
The current system also has no incentive to complete a race when you're at the back of the pack as you can only lose points (incidents penalties) by continuing. I remember a 1 hour race in the Porsche 911 GT1, we were only 6, 2 DNF at the beginning, I was 4th and didn't have the pace of the top 3 so there was no point for me to race...
Totally agree that the system needs a change for a fair competition.

I'm far from being at the top of the leaderboard but i see people in the TCR series in the top ten that mostly participates in the 06:00 GMT races where not even the first server is full. The winner still gets 102 points!!

That seems a little unfair.
(05-24-2018, 12:48 PM)Juan Alvarez Wrote:  Totally agree that the system needs a change for a fair competition.

I'm far from being at the top of the leaderboard but i see people in the TCR series in the top ten that mostly participates in the 06:00 GMT races where not even the first server is full. The winner still gets 102 points!!

It would also be a little unfair to not reward the winner or anyone else in that situation full points as it's not their fault that less people participated. If you start reducing the available points when there are less drivers in a server then that is yet more incentive taken away for people to race.
I think the current system works.
Some people like some wont. It's the same as preferring PlayStation or xbox.
If you don't like one use the other.
Shaun Clarke Racing (Previously TPCSimRacing) driver and painter.
https://www.facebook.com/PlankLiveries
(05-22-2018, 10:27 AM)Almor R Sousa Wrote:  I suggested some time ago a system based on strength of field. Here it is.

Web page
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e...vP/pubhtml
XMLS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e...utput=xlsx
The idea was the higher the sof of the race the higher the scores. And it would be universal you wouldn't have to have different scoring systems. Its based on the difficulty of the race so it doesn't matter if you have 1, 4 or 10 servers.

But there doesn't seem to be any interest in changing. Also the points are a bit of a dick measuring contest anyway.

Yes, that's a good system that resolves the problem of running races at low-participation times purely to game the points.
It can  be a dick-measuring contest, sure. It's also an incentive to keep racing or to race on the tracks you're not particularly keen on. We're all here because we want something with more structure than random public servers, so don't sell short one of the most important aspects of it.

(05-22-2018, 04:12 PM)Tanguy Queguineur Wrote:  The current system also has no incentive to complete a race when you're at the back of the pack as you can only lose points (incidents penalties) by continuing. I remember a 1 hour race in the Porsche 911 GT1, we were only 6, 2 DNF at the beginning, I was 4th and didn't have the pace of the top 3 so there was no point for me to race...

I think this one is hard to address. iRacing manages it somewhat by allowing you to build Safety Rating by turning clean laps even if in a competitive sense they're pointless, but I'm not sure how that could be achieved without a complete overhaul of the way incidents are dealt with.
That's not to say I like the way incidents are dealt with. Currently they cause a situation where close racing = less points. You'll often be better off in points if you concede five positions and finish the race with nobody around you than if you fight hard but remain ahead and take some bumps.
I'm finding that SRS is giving me the best racing experience I've had in terms of racing closely with other players. It's always fun and some jostling isn't taking away from that, nobody is wrecking people to get ahead. My points are taking an absolute tanking from getting involved in the scrapping and although I'm having far more fun this way, it seems a little perverse to know that I'd be rewarded more for not chasing the car in front and conceding to every car behind me.

(05-24-2018, 05:29 PM)Will Dawson Wrote:  
(05-24-2018, 12:48 PM)Juan Alvarez Wrote:  Totally agree that the system needs a change for a fair competition.

It would also be a little unfair to not reward the winner or anyone else in that situation full points as it's not their fault that less people participated. If you start reducing the available points when there are less drivers in a server then that is yet more incentive taken away for people to race.

That's why a SOF system would be an improvement, you're rewarded according to the quality of the drivers you compete against, how many there are makes no difference. Currently the less drivers there are the more points you get. You'll get more points for running (invented values) 1:30:00 laps where the optimum is 1:00:00 at the back on a one server race of ten drivers than you would running 1:01:00 at first place in server two.
With this Sof system the luckiest fast driver would be the champion ... Smile  it's not fair at all .. If i can't participate on the highest Sof race on the week I would get less points and No chance for maximum points If you are not lucky enough ... And no clue which race would be THE RACE with more points because of highest sof.

The current system is quite good and If you want to be champion you have to win about 20 race from 30...yes, there are easy wins with lower Sof and harder wins in peak hour.... And very Hard races with lower sof because another fast driver in the server.
(05-24-2018, 10:50 PM)Ross Dowson Wrote:  That's why a SOF system would be an improvement, you're rewarded according to the quality of the drivers you compete against, how many there are makes no difference. Currently the less drivers there are the more points you get. You'll get more points for running (invented values) 1:30:00 laps where the optimum is 1:00:00 at the back on a one server race of ten drivers than you would running 1:01:00 at first place in server two.

Totally agree. If there was a vote, mine would be on this side. I'm aware that you still would have to compete at peak SoF hours and that may not be the best time for everyone but, if you want to be the first at the end of a series you should beat the best.