Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DTM 90s
Yup. Great series.

Those cars are the perfect compromise between drivability and being fun to drive.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
I also enjoy trying out the different cars.
Did my 2nd race in this series last night.
1st race I used the BMW, and found it a little tail-happy. Challenging to control but rewarding.
2nd race I used the Alfa Romeo and found it easier to drive.
Going to try the Mercedes next Big Grin
I have run the BMW all season but am doing the Alfa this week and will do the Benz next week.
Alfa is definitely the easiest to drive. 4WD traction and lots of downforce. It seems to be the easiest to brake also. A bit understeery.
BMW is more balanced and fastest on long straights. Tricky on braking.
Mercedes feels a lot like a RWD Alfa to me. But not as easy to brake.
I like the BMW the most, just because of the balanced handling and top speed.
I think with a good driver and setup, there is may be 1s between the cars on most tracks.
Alfa 155 Ti does not seem to be restricted or anyhow balanced in the DTM series, making it by far the fastest of the 3 available vehicles. Alfa 155 needs to be restricted, it has AWD coupled with the highest power by almost +9% compared to other 2 cars. It is easily 1-2% faster per lap and much easier to drive.
I don't have any experience with the ballast and restrictor system in AC. Are there any obstacles to SRS using that system for the DTM cars? It would be nice to see a little more diversity in the field.
Well, did the 3rd race in the Merc and have to say it's easier to drive than the other two - still easy to oversteer out of corners but I think the Merc is my favourite of the 3 Big Grin
Mike: you can set it in server settings for each car:

BALLAST=0
RESTRICTOR=0

Also individual per GUID settings are possible for some things.
And of course limiting only certain settings in setups works too. Such as rev limiter lock out for Alfa is one option.

Steve: Alfa is about 2 seconds faster per 2 minute lap. And especially on less than ideal grip such as <98% track grip or worn tyres the Alfa has a big advantage as it can always go flat out where as with RWD cars you have to manage throttle to not spin tyres on corner exits. The Alfa literally does not care one bit, red tyres low grip, no problem AWD out of corner full throttle. It's also stable and easy to drive with shortest braking distance by a lot compared to E30, not sure 190E.
190E is OK but I don't like it's balance personally, still I can do about equal times in both given equal effort.
The Alfa? LOL, minimum effort and beating my E30 times in a few laps, it's that big of a difference at times.

So if I'm doing 1:57.500-1:58.000 on Barcelona GP with E30 the Alfa should be doing 1:56 maximum, medium tyres for both.
Alfa has so much power that even E30 on low wings can't overtake it on straights. Then the Alfa can brake later, is more stable through a corner and can accelerate sooner and harder out of corner. There is a reason AWDs are banned in racing, I don't mind them, but come on at least balance it out a little organizers.

Another thing that should be fixed on servers is track cutting, right now most people go 4 tyres behind white lines such as 2 tyres off track and 2 tyres on curbs = off track = penalty but not in AC with it's default settings that are pretty much some of the most awful in a sim when it comes to penalties giving and handling, instead of giving drive through, stop and go or time penalty it forces you to slowdown to almost a stop often on track with cars behind you... and only if you go 1m+ whole car off track whether it was your fault or someone shoots you off. Tons of track cutting as defined by real racing rules going on in SRS.
Switched to Alfa for some comparison, well not even a competition for the RWDs, no chance. Beat my E30 DTM time in first 5 laps with a set for Alfa from another track that is far from tuned well while my E30 has years and thousands of kilometers and races in it's tuning and it's a car I drive most while I avoid the Alfa except when the Alfas get annoying with their imbalance in more serious racing. 20C air 28C tarmac did 1-57-230 on mediums fastest so far and with similar set then in race 1-57-510, holding pretty much low 58s with two mid 57s at the end going up to high 58s as the steering starts to give up. Alfa is a total newbie car very easy to drive unlike the E30 as always. On top of that it goes 1s faster on Barcelona with almost no effort and training, 2s is more realistic advantage of it there. Mostly it's because of AWD corner exits with the highest power by 9% of all 3 DTM cars.

01:57.51 00:34.165 00:44.946 00:38.399 21:44.964 (11 laps race starting 2nd)
http://www.simracingsystem.com/raceresul...Seo6LUkrqI

And I'm no Alfa 155 expert, barely drive it, there are people who drive it mostly out of the 3 DTM cars and they will go much faster than that.

At least this race wasn't plagued with 200ms+ people at top of the field this time and I could race with my friend Luigi without worrying about people warping around.

For comparison so far my fastest E30 DTM race but that could also because of drafting behind an Alfa as much as I could.

01:58.021 00:34.123 00:45.14 00:38.758 21:49.87
http://www.simracingsystem.com/raceresul...Seo6LUkrqI

5s slower with E30 and that's with drafting most likely and pushing a lot on a car I know well and have driven hundreds if not thousands of races for years now.
The Alfa is overpowered without any balancing, a lot.

2nd race with Alfa 155:
01:57.48 00:34.076 00:44.789 00:38.615 21:41.961

There is no way for E30 to push such low total times.
I dont get that in the DTM 92 series is no Nürburgring Nordschleife included,
only GP and other non historic DTM tracks.

Kinda lacks immersion and takes away from the fun IMO.

I wanna wrestle the car with close bumper to bumper racing
on the Nordschleife with 20+ opponents who are on a similar level.