Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a thought about faster drivers...
There might be a lot of drivers who disagree with me, but I actually sometimes think its for the best to let faster drivers pass me.
Today I did race on Spa (DTM) and got P2 after qualification. Ethan Dean was in pole. I did get a fantastic start, and got into the lead, but half way trough the first lap I did let Ethan pass me. Why did I do that?
Well, I knew that that he were faster than me (qual time) so its my view that its no point in fighting back and risking an incident. Better to let the faster guy pass, so we wount slow each other down. This way I got 98 points, which Im quite happy with. If this was later in the race, I would of course fight harder.
I think more drivers should think like this, trying to fight a clearly faster driver is pointless, you only risk incidents.

Erik
+1
It is normal and common sense to know your limits, especially when you make a perfect qualy but you know that it is not your race time.
This philosophy is not forever! The practice will reduce the GAP of times and therefore the fights, little by little will become more habitual.
And as you say, it depends on the race moment.
Depends, I'd say.

In your scenario I wouldn't have let him pass and I would have been disappointed if I was him and you'd just let me by.

But if I'm in 8th position and one of the fast guys ends up behind me (for whatever reason) I usually let them pass, because there's really no point in putting up a fight for a position like that with a guy who's way faster than me.

Generally speaking, I always try to keep an eye on how much the guys behind me are gaining on me. If somebody gains more than two seconds a lap, I just let them pass.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
I agree with Simon on this one.

I spent most of the ginetta championship battling with Ethan, and the only reason I stayed up till 2am for a race start was that we were both so close on pace that it made the battles worth it.

It sounds to me like a lack of confidence more than anything on your behalf, so I'd suggest that perhaps you should battle next time. I learnt a hell of a lot of racecraft from racing Ethan/Marek/Afonso etc., and I'm sure it will be the same with other fast drivers
I think the most important thing is enjoy the experience of race as if it were real life.
There are many people who give more importance to earn points than to have fun and have a good race experience. 
In my opinion a race without fighting a position does not make sense, I prefer to make a great race fighting the position with my rival (legally) and for bad luck have incident points, than have a boring race, racing alone and earn more points just for the £~¢&¥π¶ rating.
---

Automobilista Porsche Cup Champion (x2) Cool  

Automobilista Lancer RS Cup Champion Sleepy

Automobilista Mini Challenge Champion
I agree from about 0.5s faster a lap, i don't think there s any point trying to hold off, you are just slowing down the guy behind and yourself, plus risking a wreck for nothing when you could get some slipstream and keep the same pace just behind at least for a while.

Sometimes it can even be tactical to let a faster driver pass, knowing he could challenge someone ahead. Now of course if there s 2 laps left and you are fighting for a championship...  do what you have to do  Smile
If I don't think I can keep someone behind me till the end then it makes more sense to let them through early so that we can both go faster, than to defend the position and slow us both down. I've even occasionally backed off a little to let someone in front of me concentrate on going fast rather than defending so that we both break away from whoever is behind us.
(05-09-2018, 12:17 PM)James Bli nt Wrote:  Sometimes it can even be tactical to let a faster driver pass, knowing he could challenge someone ahead. Now of course if there s 2 laps left and you are fighting for a championship...  do what you have to do  Smile

Very important, yes. Often it's better to just let somebody pass and try to catch up with the cars in front "together" so you can fight for an actual good position instead of wasting time fighting for a not so good one.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
(05-09-2018, 01:40 PM)Iain Mcfadzen Wrote:  If I don't think I can keep someone behind me till the end then it makes more sense to let them through early so that we can both go faster, than to defend the position and slow us both down. I've even occasionally backed off a little to let someone in front of me concentrate on going fast rather than defending so that we both break away from whoever is behind us.

Yes. It is a great strategy not to bother to escape from the persecuting group.
If someone is a second or two a lap faster than me I will let them go without a fight. Just less than 1s faster and I will take the defensive lines but not be too aggressive, leaving them plenty of space to overtake if they get a good run on me. Less than 0.5s faster than me and I will go balls to the wall defensive, taking defensive lines and squeezing them to 1 car width to get them to slow down more through the corners. Of course if it's the last lap then it's battle mode no matter the pace.