Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do i decrease Skins size with Photoshop?
So apparently my skin is kinda too big (10.6mb) and i need to decrease it further before tonight GT3 race.
How can i decrease the quality of the skin so that it gets smaller?
I don't know what you're using for saving your skinfiles, but if it's Photoshop with the Nvidia-texturing plugin (or whatever it's called) you can select different ways of saving it.
For a carskin that doesn't need an alpha layer or any other fancy stuff, you can use the first option (can't check exactly what it is, I'm not at my "paintingcomputer"). That should result in the smallest file size for that resolution. If the file is still on the large size, you could try and halve the resolution. It'll be less sharp on the car, but it might still be acceptable. It's your call.

I tend to go with default resolution skins (the size of the templates) so I can get custom suit, gloves and helmet in as well. Sometimes I can even fit the graphics for the pitcrew within the 10MB limit.

I kinda figured all this out through experimentation. But the settings in the Nvidia-plugin are crucial for filesizes.

Good luck!
"It goes quicker when it's on it's wheels mate!" - CrewChief

"This car is so grippy it's like driving on four Pritt-sticks!" - GamerMuscle
This was very helpful.
Thank you man! By messing around with the skin res, i was able to fit it all together
My steps to ensure getting under 10MB are similar to Robin's suggestions. Unfortunately the version of Photoshop I have doesn't play nice with nVidia's plugin, so I'm using the one from Intel Graphics... and there are fewer options on that plugin.

Nuking the alpha layer on your main body skin is certainly a way to save some space. You don't even need to set your nVidia/Intel graphics plugin to ignore Alpha channels if one isn't there (just go into Channels and send that thing to the trashcan).

I typically work in 4096x4096 resolution when creating the skin, but I downscale it in Photoshop to 2048x with a custom Action. You'd be hard pressed to see the difference in game unless you are in a showroom zooming in on a bumper or something. Similar with doing custom tires or rims... you can usually get away with VERY small texture sizes on those and no one will notice.

If that doesn't get the whole thing under 10MB, I start cutting additional stuff. Does it really need custom tires or rims? How about that replacement banner on the windshield? Are you okay with it saying "Porsche" in red on black, or do you HAVE to have your name up there?

And if all of that fails and you are still struggling to get your stuff under 10MB, I will gladly take what you have and tweak it to get there. Just attach the files to a post in the Paint Shop subforum and I'll have a look.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
No worries Sobie, I was able to get it as low as 8mb so I'm set Smile
Either way, very useful tips right there hehe.
I'll keep those in mind for the next time!
Thumbs Up 
(04-01-2018, 04:53 PM)Giuseppe Gnazzo Wrote:  No worries Sobie, I was able to get it as low as 8mb so I'm set Smile
Either way, very useful tips right there hehe.
I'll keep those in mind for the next time!

Super!
Make sure you show off your skins in the Paint-forum!
"It goes quicker when it's on it's wheels mate!" - CrewChief

"This car is so grippy it's like driving on four Pritt-sticks!" - GamerMuscle