Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie Series
Tongue 
I can read it clearly everyday I visit this forums. Race Incidents Discussion is forbidden!

You know there's a place for that as they say, well if you always crash I mean... Go away! Well that's rude but that's how it is as it stands. I was in a race yesterday in GT3 America when some dudes attempted to boot one driver for too much crashing. I don't wanna take sides. I don't like drivers that crash... But being a noob as we were all once was, I know the feeling of rejection too. I'm glad my rookie days in SIM racing was in iRacing where there is room for these mistakes. You know what I mean... The rookie series of Mazda MX-5 and that headlight-less car that I don't know the name in Ovals.  I finished that GT3 race second to Austin Ogonoski, and we had a blast to the very last corner. He was very clean and I give him credit for the treatment I got and  I tried to be the same to him. Sometimes you just wish everyone race that way, but sadly that is not the case.

I'll cut the chase. I just want to suggest starting a new series for rookies.. Give a reasonable number, like 3 or maybe up to 5 consecutive races with zero incidents will make you graduate from it and begin your career with something like 150 up to 200 rating. Make it open to non rookie too so if somehow someone invited a friend here, they can join them in those races as guides or maybe even a partner in crime if their naughty.  Tongue JK! I'm sure everyone who will read this gets the picture.

It's never gonna be easy. I hate to compare this great idea(SRS) with iRacing but sometimes you just can't express what you like to say without going that path. As the current structure stands. A new driver here is almost forced to race a lone race or maybe with 2 or 3 other (new)drivers if they are lucky. I hope I don't annoy anyone for this post, I don't need everyone to agree with me, but opening the topic makes other think too for other possible solutions for the new drivers. I mean, let's at least try not to gang up on someone if we already know they are struggling.
The advantage that iRacing has over SRS and any other multiplayer sim racing is population. It is actually the same with ever multiplayer game with a rating system: if you don't have enough players on at the same time, your rating system is going to fail in one way or another. For every stage of rank, there will be fewer people they are allowed to play against. And if you can't even fill a single server up with players, your multiplayer game dies.

We already have a huge number of Rookie Series going on right now: it's any race that doesn't have a rating requirement. So that's what, 18 out of the 19 racing series are custom made just for Rookies! Yes, I'm being silly here... I'd personally be fine with requiring new members of SRS to have a few less options to race in, but my guess is that that would be a great way to see the influx of players to SRS dwindle. Hell, I'm having a hard time recruiting people I KNOW would love SRS because they are so strapped for free time. Not to mention the "hosted" racing series seem specifically targeting players new to sim racing, so I think those are going to be 0 requirements for the foreseeable future.

At the root of the problem is that there is a particular type of individual who will join a sim racing server that simply does not have the mind set that they are actually in "racing simulation" but instead just think of it as another multiplayer video game on the Internet full of anonymous faces doing random BS for entertainment. I'm not really sure how to reach these people. They certainly aren't reading this post as they don't look at these forums. And these are the very people you have to be wary of going into Turn 1 of any race on SRS (or anywhere). I'm actually surprised that these people even found SRS in the first place and bothered to sign up. Maybe forcing them to "graduate" in a very limited number of races here is the answer? Hard to know without trying. I just don't think we have the numbers to do that at this point.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
True, as I suggested in other topic, the daily races (this season it is Abarth 500, Tatuus and Ginetta) should be only to gain rating and incident average, and they shouldn´t be championships. They would be open for everyone and you could test your skills there, get some experience when driving against others, respect others, practice attacking and defending, braking early etc., you don´t need to fight for the championship in these series.

Then as Russell said, all the series maybe shouldn´t be opened for everyone, for rookies etc., and it should be from some rating. The rookies could gain the rating in those series I mentioned above and then when they are experienced, they can join the other series. Maybe, besides the minimum rating required for the series, a maximum incident average amount could be applied, too. For example maximum incident average allowed to race in some series would be 3. A person who has bigger average wouldn´t be allowed to join the series before he gets his incident average down. Not a bad idea, or?
NEVER GIVE UP!
Well, I do agree with both of you. The main point of me opening the topic is to discuss how to eliminate the issues of people not knowing how to behave, or have no idea how. A strict number seems to be plausible like Marek suggested. Limit them to 2 to 3 series where they can crash and burn, or if they are serious, then graduate from it. And all the rest should have a mandatory of 200 or maybe even raise it to 300 rating minimum and a reasonable safety rating average.
(12-06-2017, 07:58 AM)Marek Vons Wrote:  True, as I suggested in other topic, the daily races (this season it is Abarth 500, Tatuus and Ginetta) should be only to gain rating and incident average, and they shouldn´t be championships. They would be open for everyone and you could test your skills there, get some experience when driving against others, respect others, practice attacking and defending, braking early etc., you don´t need to fight for the championship in these series.

Then as Russell said, all the series maybe shouldn´t be opened for everyone, for rookies etc., and it should be from some rating. The rookies could gain the rating in those series I mentioned above and then when they are experienced, they can join the other series. Maybe, besides the minimum rating required for the series, a maximum incident average amount could be applied, too. For example maximum incident average allowed to race in some series would be 3. A person who has bigger average wouldn´t be allowed to join the series before he gets his incident average down. Not a bad idea, or?

As someone with a current incident average of 3.45, I think this is a horrible idea. Big Grin

Seriously though, I get into scrapes mostly due to other drivers (the ones that Neil is talking about in the first place). If I suddenly couldn't compete in "non-rookie" races because I had one T1 clusterfuck too many I would be very disappointed. I'd also probably just avoid racing in any of the open races for fear of raising my incident average. Seems like it would be a downward spiral. I think going off of driver rating alone should be fine. It doesn't take long to get above 400 if you have a little patience and actually practice car/track combos before races on the regular.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
incident and ranking are a good idea

for the incident: they need to remove (or count different) the wall incidents, half of my incidents are wall incidents, i don't want to be penalized if i touch a wall, i'm already penalized in race, because that's mean i lost the car, so lost seconds and destroyed the car too..
I don't think there's a way for there to tell any difference from what the game reports. Incidents = collision with other objects. This means cars, walls, and in some cases, traffic cones and the like. The overall deal here is that the score represents your ability to control your vehicle, not just avoid other cars. So if you are plowing into walls a whole lot during SRS events, you should probably get that all out of your system offline.
Well to gain 200, 300 or 400 rating is not that hard, its less than 10 races I think and that´s not really too long practice for people in traffic. Then, maybe also minimum number of raced events could be applied
NEVER GIVE UP!
offline there aren't people that kills you on T1 of lap 1 so you have to regain what you lost by driving over the limits Smile
Waiting for SRS to have a say for their own. My aim in this topic is to have fair grounds for new drivers and old timers to be on the same page. Like I said, I don't like people getting booted for too much crashing if they are already struggling. I also don't like them to mix with dead serious racers that will boot them if they annoy them. I think the most doable of them all is the rating category and fixed number of races to do and graduate from if you are new. The Rfactor2 system is also nice to implement here where AI will take over to fill up the field if it is not full. So new drivers won't have to do lone races.