Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is the GT3 Cup 1 hour long races?
Just curious why this race is so long? I wanted to do this race but honestly sitting in a rig for one hour straight gets pretty hot here in Texas haha. I was also curious why all these races are timed and not lap races? I am new to the SRS system so just curious.

Thanks
Hi Chad,

Not sure why none of the races are laps rather than time, though I think I remember there being one series that did.

The long race is to add a bit of variety.  Almost all the other races are so short that the tyres hardly have time to warm up Wink

Myself I like the longer races as you have time to try and recover form any incident you have, also it ends up rewarding the consistent drivers.  I often place top 10 even though my lap times are only average.

I would love to see the occasional even longer race so that pit stop tactics become a much more important thing.  I realise that to set aside a block of time to race can be a problem but in my opinion when you have been racing hard to defend your place for 5 laps and then realise you have only done a fraction of the race the whole fatigue really kicks in.
I think 30+ mins races or equivalent in laps is a good idea. The 20 minutes races on the other hand is too short IMO. But I am new here too so IDK what gives and why. And the races have pre defined time of day, not one series that runs hourly or every 2 hours. I think it's more like prepare long and race long to maximize the effort? Maybe, but like I said, IDK. But I do agree that hour long races are to long for a stint when summer. 35 to 45 minutes is the goldilocks for me.
I dont race GT3 because is to long. I think 40 minutes is perfect. Not is to much short or long race.
I absolutely love the 1hour race format (unfortunately with the Cup Porsche the 1h format does not open reasonable choices regarding tires, as the hard Cup tires easily last for the full hour).

If there would be another even longer race format - say 1h 30m or even 2h an in between format as 45min would be a sweet spot for most people I believe.

The 20min races really are not very rewarding and often chaos breaks out as of the very high attendance and people trying to win their race from the end of the pack in lap one.
I now completely try to avoid the 20min races whenever I can for that very reason and truly enjoy the 2hour GT3 and Porsche GT3 Cup events.

Regarding spending 1 hour in a sim race becoming to difficult to bear should not be a deciding factor on changing the race format but upgrading the sim rig (air conditioner / cooling) or improving fitness to easier cope with the races.
Don't take this as criticism - I am in Asia and during the summer months we barely have a day below 30ºC, often enough above 40ºC and almost never ever a single summer day below 75% humidity - I am practically living inside the refrigerator during the summer months.

I also try to deal with the sim racing as real racers do - my sim racing training does not only consist of sitting in a chair and turning laps but actual workouts - there is no other way one could aim for the longer races otherwise - you have to be fit (do regular cardio training, eat/drink as healthy as you can bear, get enough sleep, …).