Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Shaker review
Just wanted to share a quick review/feedback on a bass shaker setup that I recently installed. Really quite amazed on how well these perform, wasn't really sure what to expect. These shakers really add a lot of immersion to racing, it's quite astounding what you get for the $ spent. Even if you have to buy the whole package (bass shakers, wiring, amp, software), it's going to be less than $200. And if you already have some of the hardware (I had an old amp that I was able to use for this, just make sure it can handle 4 ohms impedence, and is at least 2x50 watts), it's going to be even cheaper. That, combined with VR, is probably the next best thing to a full motion rig, for a fraction of the cost. Being able to feel the bumps in the road, and the rpms of the engine adds so much, it actually feels weird turning the shakers off.
Here's what I installed for my setup. 4 Dayton TT25 (16ohm) Mini bass shakers, 1 Dayton BST-1 shaker (the big one). I put 2 of the minis under my pedal foot plate, 2 towards the front of the rig, and the big one in the back, under the seat. I wired the minis in parallel to one channel on my amp (4x16ohm = 4ohm impedence), and the big shaker (4 ohms) to the other channel. Simhub (the software for this), will allow you to set up different channels with different effects, so that you don't have everything coming from all shakers. Generally, using less effects is better, otherwise you're going to get a weird mix that's not very distinct. But setting up a few important effects per channel works great, like ABS effect for the front. Simhub is free, but the free version only runs at 10hz, which introduces a bit of lag/delay. The full version runs at 60hz, and it's really cheap, under $10.

So in summary, do I think it's worth it? For me, yes! It will take a bit of time to adjust and fine tune all the settings (and every rig is different, so the effects will also need to be adjusted to suit every individual rig), but the added immersion, all for under $200, is really quite amazing. I wish I had done this a lot sooner. There are a lot of youtube tutorials to help with getting things set up.
Just wanted to share some thoughts, in case anyone has considered getting these, but isn't sure if it's worth it. When I turned on the ignition on an old Camaro Stock car in Iracing today, and then pushed the starter, I could "feel" the engine come to life, I could feel the rpms of the engine. Moments like those just add so much to sim racing.

Anyways, see you guys on track!

cheers, Alex

PS: I attached some pics to show what shakers I bought, and where I installed them.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wow great! Could they bother the neighbors or those in another room?
I have my rig on the ground floor, but if it's upstairs, it could vibrate the floor. I put some foam padding underneath my rig to make sure most of the vibration stays on the rig. I looked at a lot of youtube videos before buying, but thought it's mostly just adding some vibration to the game. But it feels so much more immersive, for me it's one of the best investments I've made. But if you have neighbors living underneath, it might bother them...especially if you crank up the feedback at night...lol
(04-01-2023, 06:47 PM)Alexander Persil Wrote:  Ho il mio rig al piano terra, ma se è al piano di sopra, potrebbe far vibrare il pavimento. Ho messo dell'imbottitura in schiuma sotto il mio rig per assicurarmi che la maggior parte delle vibrazioni rimanga sul rig. Ho guardato molti video di YouTube prima dell'acquisto, ma ho pensato che per lo più aggiungesse solo vibrazioni al gioco. Ma sembra molto più coinvolgente, per me è uno dei migliori investimenti che ho fatto. Ma se hai dei vicini che vivono sotto, potrebbe infastidirli... specialmente se aumenti il feedback di notte... lol
But then they create vibrations and not noise? Do i need a workstation to be able to mount them right?
Yes, they create low frequency vibrations, that's why they're also called tactile transducers. Simhub (the software), converts game telemetry into low Hz sound frequencies. So when you shift gears, you are able to feel the kick of the shift. You can mount them on a chair, but they probably work better on a solid cockpit.
cant imagine how feel good driving with that setup
when i first time hard mount my pedal to the rig i can feel the vibration from the wheel to the pedal, that already something for me.
The great thing about these shakers is that they are quite inexpensive. Even buying just one bass shaker will give you the effect. Mount a big one under your seat, hook it up to a cheap ebay amp, total cost maybe $80-$100.