Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I give back positions when the incident is netcode?
I just participated in a race where I gained the lead and I must have had contact with the other driver, as once the race was done, I watched the replay and their car acts as if I drove into them.  While I was making the overtake, I did notice that their car acted strangely when I was alongside them but wasn't 100% sure if they possibly just lost the rear end, and had to let off of the gas and straighten out.  In this situation, where I thought it could have possibly been netcode, should I give the position back?  Or carry on as there isn't a sure way to know if their car became unstable because of how they were driving or because of a netcode collision.  Thanks!
It can be argued whether you should give the position back when you gain it unfairly: some say you should (it's surely good manners to do so), some say you shouldn't. If you did nothing wrong and the other car apparently exploded, it's unfortunate but not your fault: I would not give the position back.
Wheter or not you should give position back is very situational and can even be hard to figure out after the race watching the replay when the situation was avery unclear one.

Generally speaking, if you follow the gentleman's agreement (I highly encourage anyone to do so) you should give back position (if possible) whenever the overtake has not been 100% clean (unless it's clearly the other driver's fault eg: changing line under braking, trying to force you off etc. - but if that's the case, you will not have to ask yourself that question).

In a battle for the lead, the whole thing usually is more heated and considerably harder to judge. I'd say you can keep the position if:
- you outpaced the other guy (at least a few laps in a row)
- you're under 50% at fault
- you didn't force the other guy to avoid collision

But these are just guidelines I apply to my own driving, so I don't really want to give a verdict based on the few lines you wrote since it's impossible to tell if you did the right thing or not from the information you posted.

One last remark: in such situations always apologise to the other person and see what their view on the incident is (via in game chat or PM) so you can improve your decision making in future races based on how both of you saw the incident.