Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Suggestions on improving SRS
i suggest to separate collisions with cars from collisions with the track. That should be possible with AC. Then, only "car with car" collisions get in the incidents count and the point cut. In this way the incident average could be a little better indicator, moreover if someone crashes by himself the race is compromised, there is no need to charge him with a -3 and in case of of incident with other cars there are no multiple penalizations. I am totally contrary on removing the point cut for incidents by cars, with no limitation we can get to far west very easily. Our aim should be no contacts at all, the contacts physic is bad and a small touch can destroy a race.
I just had 5 incidents in my last race. Way more then normal. 3 were from other people touching and crashing in front of me or at my back. 1 was from someone pushing me off the track. And 1 was a very minor touch from me to someone in front. Nothing happened. But still, -15 points. I'm all for reducing incidents. But reducing points is just rediculous. I had less points then the guy finishing behind me. Without being at fault. for the first 4 contacts. This way, championship points don't mean a thing anymore. Even incident points don't mean a thing. What consequence does it have, when your average is 1 or 5?

And what bothers me, is that we are having a nice discussion, and SRS doesn't give a response. A short statement would be fine.

Maybe it could be an idea to test the theory of not having points reduced in one of the upcoming series. See if it makes difference.
It's hard to balance. There has to be a deterrent for incidents.
On one point of view, how incident points work is somewhat "beginner friendly", meaning it isn't really punishing (losing points you don't need, because you're not trying to win), but very punishing for mid-top level racers, who know how to be safe and can ruin their championship position in a single unlucky turn or because little racing contacts (which are mostly strong but fair racing, not dangerous behaviour).
On another point of view, if you take away incident points and raise damage, the system becomes more punishing for beginners, who are potentially ending the race after a single spin. It's realistic, but I don't think it's a way SRS wants to go (one of its stronger points is accessibility to all players). This solution may cancel trolls from the races (the first incident they try to provoke may be fatal - for the victim, too, though).

Anyway: what if there's a limit of incidents in a race you don't lose points for? It can work somehow like: if your incident average is < 1.5, the first 2 incidents in a race don't burn your championship points (but count for your incident average).
In the "study case" of yours, Maurice, you'd have lost 6 points instead of 15, which is an exceptional race (in a negative way) for a driver of your level (some deterrent for dangerous situations must be kept, and mind that it's impossible for the ai to know who's at fault), but not as punishing as losing 9 points more.
That would be kinda unfair with current system because it is almost impossible to improve your incident average if you have done many races, even if you do 10 clean races in the row the impact on overall average if you have for example 200 races is almost nothing. This would be just frustrating for most people, seeing the few drivers who have long term very low incident average not getting punished, and those in the middle and on the lower end getting punished more harshly even if they are performing very good lately without much of a chance for them to change this. Thing like this take away the motivation to even try to improve.
You're right, that needs to be combined with "incident average in the last x races".
I'm aware of the threads being made here, it is a suggestion box, people can suggest their ideas.

All the suggestions made in this thread were already done previously, it is just a matter of searching.

The system works as it works for a reason, not because I woke up one day and decided it was a good idea.

There are some changes planned for Assetto Corsa but still under testing. I can tell that none related to what is discussed here. They might popup in a couple of seasons.
Thanks for the reply.

I fully understand the reasoning behind the SRS rules. And it's well thought out. And it already works like this for a long time.

Of course I've seen many threads over time about this issue. So there are more people out there, thinking it could be improved. Change can be a good thing. But it may be hard to do, if it already worked well for a long time. And any change has pro's and cons of course.

Maybe one day.... Wink
Yes, I won a race! But I didn't get full (internet)points, because someone in front spun and crashed into me. It was unavoidable. So do you think it was really fair, that I got -3 points? Or should we just report all these incidents? That could mean more work for you.
Or, if I would get full points, I would not need to report anyone. Hmmm, this is a dilemma....

(03-26-2021, 09:31 AM)simracingsystem Wrote:  I'm aware of the threads being made here, it is a suggestion box, people can suggest their ideas.

All the suggestions made in this thread were already done previously, it is just a matter of searching.

The system works as it works for a reason, not because I woke up one day and decided it was a good idea.

There are some changes planned for Assetto Corsa but still under testing. I can tell that none related to what is discussed here. They might popup in a couple of seasons.
Anyway, reporting does not bring back your lost points. That could be a good point. Recover unfairly lost points after a report.
(03-26-2021, 10:49 PM)Juan Alberdi Wrote:  Anyway, reporting does not bring back your lost points. That could be a good point. Recover unfairly lost points after a report.

Recovering points would imply more checks every race so that won't work. Without points taken away from incidents, everything should be fine. People will complain less. If someone overtook someone else with a touch (illegal move), then a report would handle the situation.
Now, you could complain for every touch that is being made, because you will lose points. Gives a lot more work.

Is there any car championship in the world, where you would get points taken away from you, when you touch someone?