Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Suggestions on improving SRS
(03-17-2021, 10:25 PM)Colin Chilibeck Wrote:  
(03-17-2021, 01:18 PM)Dario Bucalo Wrote:  
(03-16-2021, 09:10 PM)Maurice Klerken Wrote:  I agree with your last statement. The biggest subject is the 3 points getting subtracted from your score. If this could go, it would make the racing better and more fair for the people going for the championship. Then a good battle for the podium will be rewarded with the points you deserve. And if one of the drivers is misbehaving, protest him. Simple and effective and not much different from now. I also would prefer, that if someone is found guilty for a race incident, and he has scored points, he should have points reduced from the championship. But that would be complicated to implement I guess.

I remember having a race and a hard and fair battle for position for 15 minutes. It was so rewarding, but we did touch a few times. No noteworthy collisions, but still lost points for these incidents. Not really rewarding I would say.

Another thing about the incident points. Your as good as your last race they say. When I started racing, I had more incidents then I have now. Because I gained more experience and racecraft, the incidents are getting less and less. But my old incidents still cuont for a significant amount. So having the incident rating of your last 20, 30, 50 or whatever amount of races, will be a better average of how often your involved in incidents. See it as the penalty system of Formula 1. These points get dropped after a year. Which is a nice and fair solution.

What do you think about this whole discussion, @simracingsystem
I think all of that makes sense. I have to say that it is Extremely frustrating when you are doing everything you can to lower your IP and then get punted from behind on Multiple occasions causing a bunch of IP.
During the race I spend too much time watching my mirrors trying Not to get hit by others. It also makes me brake earlier then usual to avoid those in front of me which I am sure causes people behind me to get their braking points wrong etc.

I also really like the below idea that was said.

Maybe possible idea: let's help with more Protest stewards

Removing the IP-penalty can only work if human-inquired protests become the common way to punish bad behaviour. However, generating more protests is not sustainable if protests have to be processed by a single person. Maybe Henrique could accept some help, and invite people to judge on the protests he receives. This would give a quicker turnover and enable SRS to process a larger volume of protests.
Do you think there will be a larger volume of incidents reported when these rules would change? I guess it will be the same or even less even. The big incidents get reported as usual. But those little incidents don't matter that much anymore, because nobody lost points. Which leads to less frustration in general. So we keep good races, even with the occasional little touches. Everybody is happy Smile
I just watched a stream from last night (GT86 23:00 GMT) and I feel like disrespecting so much blue flags is one more thing a post-race steward could enforce.
I have a suggestion - I think the championship scoring would benefit from having the worst result dropped for the following reasons:

1) We are mostly adults here with various responsibilities in life and cannot always attend every race.
2) It's too easy to have a bad result from either being punted or having a technical problem (disconnect or game crash)
3) I think would generally put more emphasis on wins

There are probably some downsides, such as making the math a bit complicated.  There's a Chain Bear video on this.

Also I agree with removing the 3pt deduction for incidents.  There needs to be a deterrent for having incidents, and I'm not sure what that would look like exactly.  But incidents shouldn't end up being a deciding factor in a championship.  The people who have a lot of incidents generally don't care about the points anyway.

An example of both of the above points played out in the PSR Porsche championship:

James and I went into the last round with him 1 point ahead.  In the race, we had two minor contacts, both of which were my fault.  My game didn't register any incidents, whereas his registered two.  I crossed the finish line behind him expecting that he won the championship, only to find out later that I had won because I outscored him despite finishing behind... because of a glitch really.  That doesn't seem right.

Also, I was put at a disadvantage from a disconnect in round 2 which cost me 2 laps and led to a poor result.  If I was able to drop my worst result it wouldn't have been as damaging.

That series was fantastic racing and a ton of fun, but the championship scoring didn't feel quite right.

Another example I have is that I won a championship in the last round just because the championship leader didn't show up (it was Christmas Eve and he probably had some family event or something).  Again that didn't seem fair - he would have won if he could have dropped the last round.
That's a whole other discussion. Dropping a score isn't needed. If someone doesn't attend a real race, maybe because he was sick or something, he doesn't get to drop his worst score either.

Dropping the incident points reduction is the way to go in my opinion.
Every daily race and most longer european time slot races are punt fests already, dropping how many points you lose for an incident will just make it worse. Davids suggestion helps with the unfairness of someone being penalized for being punted into a pileup that gives them 8 incidents by dropping that one shocker of a result, and is one of the only suggestions in this thread that is realistic within the confines of SRS' limitations, how it's structured and it's position in sim racing.
Maybe something like everyone’s worst non-zero race counts for 50 points.? That should ensure full participation while allowing the one time technical glitch or incident-riddled race to have less impact on the outcome.
(03-19-2021, 06:54 PM)Luke Bouwmeester Wrote:  Every daily race and most longer european time slot races are punt fests already, dropping how many points you lose for an incident will just make it worse. Davids suggestion helps with the unfairness of someone being penalized for being punted into a pileup that gives them 8 incidents by dropping that one shocker of a result, and is one of the only suggestions in this thread that is realistic within the confines of SRS' limitations, how it's structured and it's position in sim racing.

I don't agree. If your in a pile up now, you get double punishment. You dropped a lot of places and you get multiple incident points, so a lot -3 points. So by dropping that point penalty, it would make that situation better. And by punishing the people that cause these pile-ups in the first place, would be a btter solution. You can use the protest form for that.

And for these 1 hour races, you could use the incident average and/or the rating of the driver to include or exclude these people.

(03-19-2021, 08:14 PM)Martin Smith Wrote:  Maybe something like everyone’s worst non-zero race counts for 50 points.? That should ensure full participation while allowing the one time technical glitch or incident-riddled race to have less impact on the outcome.

Real cars have issues too, so I wouldn't do that.
I would suggest:

- use ballast proportional to the average number of incidents of the pilot. ballast = round(incident avg) * 50 or something like that. (This is easy to implement)
- Team of volunteer stewards with more than x of rating and less than y of incident average. (difficult to do, but not impossible)
- Different distribution of the number of pilots among the splits. Example: if the circuit have 24 slots, and there is 30 pilots, 2 splits with 15 pilots. Not, as now, 1 split with 24 and another with 6. (This is easy to implement)
(03-21-2021, 09:52 AM)Yago Jimenez Wrote:  I would suggest:

- use ballast proportional to the average number of incidents of the pilot. ballast = round(incident avg) * 50 or something like that. (This is easy to implement)
- Team of volunteer stewards with more than x of rating and less than y of incident average. (difficult to do, but not impossible)
- Different distribution of the number of pilots among the splits. Example: if the circuit have 24 slots, and there is 30 pilots, 2 splits with 15 pilots. Not, as now, 1 split with 24 and another with 6. (This is easy to implement)
- Ballast wont prevent people from crashing.
- Volunteer stewards would be nice. But this is basically for the protest form if SRS wants to enlighten the workload.
- That wouldn't solve anything. It would be better to maybe split according to rating and incident points.
(03-20-2021, 06:27 AM)Maurice Klerken Wrote:  
(03-19-2021, 06:54 PM)Luke Bouwmeester Wrote:  Every daily race and most longer european time slot races are punt fests already, dropping how many points you lose for an incident will just make it worse. Davids suggestion helps with the unfairness of someone being penalized for being punted into a pileup that gives them 8 incidents by dropping that one shocker of a result, and is one of the only suggestions in this thread that is realistic within the confines of SRS' limitations, how it's structured and it's position in sim racing.

I don't agree. If your in a pile up now, you get double punishment. You dropped a lot of places and you get multiple incident points, so a lot -3 points. So by dropping that point penalty, it would make that situation better. And by punishing the people that cause these pile-ups in the first place, would be a btter solution. You can use the protest form for that.

And for these 1 hour races, you could use the incident average and/or the rating of the driver to include or exclude these people.

(03-19-2021, 08:14 PM)Martin Smith Wrote:  Maybe something like everyone’s worst non-zero race counts for 50 points.? That should ensure full participation while allowing the one time technical glitch or incident-riddled race to have less impact on the outcome.

Real cars have issues too, so I wouldn't do that.
For punishing people to do anything to help with championships being ruined by incidents it would hinge on stewarding in a timely manner so a result can be corrected before the next round, which would require a staff of stewards to deal with the volume of reports that would come in. This is a free, automated service, just think about that for a second. Some leagues manage this by using members of the community as stewards but those leagues don't run anywhere near the volume of races that SRS does and they still always struggle to have enough staff for stewarding. The only realistic suggestions are to drop the points for an incident and hope it doesn't increase the punt frequency or drop each drivers worst race from a series. Using incident avg for splits could be an option but it would need to be reworked to be a moving mean instead of every race ever. Changing anything would be a large undertaking which would be hard without a financial incentive, is anyone willing to put their money where their mouth is and donate to the cause?