Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWBIE PLZ HELP Pro sim Racing Porsche Battle
Ok I seem to have gotten in WAY over my head. I've been wanting to get into some online racing finally, and this was my plunge into it after a redditor recommended SRS to me. but MAAAAN am I ever slow. I feel like I am a semi competent driver, i do amature racing in real life, but maybe i am just not well practiced enough in racing sims yet. I saw on a pinned thread that all Assetto Corsa servers have locked setups, but that  announcement is from 2018, is that still the case? or the case in this racing series. My best lap time was 11 seconds slower than the leader, and about 7 or 8 seconds slower than the car in front of me. I'm not an expert at car setups, but i can manage to squeeze decent time out of my cars with setups (I'm not expecting to be on pace with a setup, but I'm sure it'd bring me closer) But if everyone is on baseline setups, honestly i feel quite discouraged. I've thought about getting some beginner racing sim coaching, hard to justify the price at the moment, but I've considered it before even.
I got kinda lazy in the last 15 mins of the last race and had too many incidents (forgot about the account suspension thing) so i have some time to work on my driving before the next time I can race. Some pointers and constructive criticism would be much appreciated

Cheers
Emerson
Hey, Emerson. Don't feel bad. You picked a deadly combo that most experienced racers would consider very challenging to complete without incident and with pace. This particular series is OPEN which means you can adjust all the setup options. If the series says it is FIXED (look for it in the title line of the series where you register for the race), it only allows certain elements of the setup to be adjusted. Those elements are in this thread: https://www.simracingsystem.com/announcements.php?aid=4

Quick advice is to do a lot of practice before entering any races. Get an idea of what competitive times would be. The SRS site has loads of results from years of past races and you can usually find combos that would give you a good idea of what laptimes would be experienced. Also, RSR Live Timing will show hotlap times for a lot of the cars and tracks. If you join a race, keep your expectations low initially and just work at being safe, no incidents and take your time getting used to this environment and the racecraft associated with it. All of us started with race #1 here and, even though most have been active in sim racing, there is a learning curve and it is a good environment if you like to get into quite competitive sim racing. Good luck mate, don't despair, practice, practice, practice and work your way into it.
Ah I saw that thread, but I misunderstood what it was saying. I read it as ALL AC servers are fixed setup, not the fixed setups are this way. Knowing that I can set up the car definitely makes me feel a bit better. The two races I did I only adjusted tire pressure and brake balance thinking I could deal with gearing and suspension etc. That'll definitely get me closer, and hopefully practice can take me the rest of the way there.

I really appreciate you're response, your suggestions come across as genuinely wanting to help and that's a sign this is a good community of racers.

Thanks again
NP, Emerson. Also, consider joining SRS Discord - lots of good information in the text chat and a place where you can get answers to questions. It's a good environment. See you on track.
I can do a open online server race and get 1st place no problem. I then jump in a SRS race and can usually get a top 10 result. The racers on here are WAY faster than open servers.
Even if you do a "fixed" set up series, your mind will be blown by how fast the top people are.

I would recommend doing a lot of practice before doing a race and as stated above, focus on NO incidents then getting a higher result.
The guys with the highest ratings have super low incident averages which majorly helps with them with their high ranking.

Also pick a series with a car that is easy to drive/forgiving such as the Cupra series that is going on right now. The faster cars are more difficult to drive cleanly and quickly.

Lastly, look for car setups online that you can use right away. Check out forums or look up fast laps on youtube. Sometimes they share their setup and you can watch what lines they take etc.
The more time you can spend learning a track and shaving down those times the better.