Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cupra TCR @ Imola
Goodday racers!
How's it going?
In the last couple of days I'm practicing Cupra TCR, because Imola is a track I like and I know pretty decently, so I'm going to try and join a race in the next day (in the weekend, I guess).
Standard setup is crappy and instable, so I began to edit some of the options: first, I moved brake balance a little to the front, as I was losing the back too much on hard breaking, somehow. This helped a lot, but the car is still unstable. After that, I tried to lower a bit the spoiler in the back and moving a bit bump and wheel toe to have a bit more grip on turning (countering the lower spoiler), but I'm still quite slow (but that's ok for now) and I feel the car is not stable enough to be as safe as I wish. Can you suggest some little correction? I'm aiming at a car with not too much oversteer (because I'm definitely losing it, sooner than later), with some space of improvement for a noob like me (Lap time's around the 1:52, aiming to put it down ~2 seconds).
Thanks everyone and have a nice day!
Hi Andrea, i suggest you to search the Internet for setups for the Cupra TCR.

As you said, the standard setup is horrible. I'm totally noob on setup, but my opinion is that working on the base setup is a waste of time as you can find "general" setup that are more balanced and you can start your work from them.

Another thing that I found very useful to go faster was to focus on best RPM values for gear change because in my little experience I found them a lot different from other cars I used.

These two things helped a lot a noob like me to make some decent laps both in the first week at Paul Ricard and in a couple of race at Imola.
(02-17-2021, 09:21 AM)Andrea Piovanelli Wrote:  Goodday racers!
How's it going?
In the last couple of days I'm practicing Cupra TCR, because Imola is a track I like and I know pretty decently, so I'm going to try and join a race in the next day (in the weekend, I guess).
Standard setup is crappy and instable, so I began to edit some of the options: first, I moved brake balance a little to the front, as I was losing the back too much on hard breaking, somehow. This helped a lot, but the car is still unstable. After that, I tried to lower a bit the spoiler in the back and moving a bit bump and wheel toe to have a bit more grip on turning (countering the lower spoiler), but I'm still quite slow (but that's ok for now) and I feel the car is not stable enough to be as safe as I wish. Can you suggest some little correction? I'm aiming at a car with not too much oversteer (because I'm definitely losing it, sooner than later), with some space of improvement for a noob like me (Lap time's around the 1:52, aiming to put it down ~2 seconds).
Thanks everyone and have a nice day!
Hi Andrea, the default BB value is way too low, you have to increase it at least to 68-69% (if you want to gain some speed by trailbraking by reducing understeer) or even more (for a slower but more stable car). I also stiffened the front anti-roll bar - try to work around it according to your driving feelings.
I survived lap 1. Now I can deal with anything in life.
The best RPM to change gear would be around 6000 RPM. Wing should be 0. Brake balance is good to have it between 70 and 75%. Some go lower then 70%, but that's a bit tricky. And you need to adjust the tyre pressure a bit. Use Pro tyres app for this, or sidekick. 1.47 or 1.48 is possible with that.

If you're doing 1.52, I would say you need to work on your driving technique too. Slow in, fast out. Look for replays of the fast guys, and see what lines they are driving. Look for how to trail brake.

Good luck.
Tyre pressure is ok, I found a fair setup on that. Brake balance: I only increased it a little, perhaps around 62-63%, and in fact the car is still a bit "unpolite".
I did quite a few laps for now with Cupra, so there's still a couple turns I need to find the optimal breaking point (in Variante Alta I'm far from consistent for now).
After work and training, I'm doing some laps with that and GT86 (and possibly GT4 on Competizione) to practice for this week's races, thanks for the suggestions, I will keep you updated Wink
Update after half an hour practice.

Your suggestions made my day, guys, thank you!
In the end, I set BB to 72% (70 was still a little low and gave me some instability at Acque Minerali and Variante Alta), zeroed the wing and stiffened by one point the front arb.
Changing gears at 6000 RPM has been a game changer, now I'm just a little bit under 1:50 (realistically, my safe driving in a race is going to give me a 1:50.5xx race pace, if I'd race now).
Thanks a lot!
Glad it helped.
Hi guys, if you find it useful, in the old Pasha Paterson thread on the Cupra there are some suggestions and setups made by the genius Omer Kinay, maybe you can try some and find it useful Wink

https://www.simracingsystem.com/showthre...?tid=10153
www.4funsimracing.com