Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyre pressures: Better to be lower or higher?
I'm starting slowly work with setups, and downloaded ProTyres not long ago, the app tells you if you should add or remove PSI to the tires.  I have had a few situations where I am +0.7, in which I would remove 1 PSI and it would leave me with -0.3, which I find would be better than +0.7 since it is close to the ideal PSI.  But where I am curious if my psi is either 0.5 above or 0.5 below ideal pressure, would it be better to run at +0.5 or -0.5.  Thanks for any replies!
If this is a race setup, then it's better to work based on the pressures that you have after at least 3-4 aggressive laps in.

Having them set -0.5psi will probably make them run at higher temps in the long run which would increase the pressures. So they are more likely to get balanced at the optimal pressure and offer better handling.

Having them set +0.5psi can potentially cause you to slide more (less grip) as they wear, which will increase the temps, and pressures, even more. So you can end up further away from the ideal pressures with a bad handling car in the long run.
I was just wondering about this today, as I too use proTyres to dial in PSI. So if I read what you have above there, Omer... you are arguing it is better to be lower than higher since it'll likely equalize somewhere in the sweet spot?
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
That's exactly what I meant, but “all generalizations are false, including this one.” Each car/track/tyre combo is different, managing softer compounds over long durations is always a hustle. Some harder compounds respond better to less than ideal tyre pressures for better grip. All in all, understanding race tyres is essentially very challenging and trial-error is not a very bad approach if you have enough time. All we can do is try having an head-start by making some educated guesses. If you are a lazy but curious person like me, you can also enable AC auto-pilot (if I'm not mistaken ctrl+c or alt+c is doing that) to see how the AI pace as well as tyre temps/pressures are changing each lap to understand the relationship better.