Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mechanical damages to 100%
Sim racing has a number of things working against it from being a realistic racing experience. It'd be silly to list them all out, but the most obvious one is that no one is putting anyone's health at stake (unless you have a $2000 DD wheel and like sticking your arm through it for kicks). Does that mean in order to make up for that, the damage to cars should be as close to real life as possible? I would argue the opposite. Here's why:

Real life racing is populated by people competent enough to be comfy risking their lives doing it. In sim racing you are surrounded by people who by definition are most likely not even close to that competent. So what you want to do to help "simulate" a real life race situation is offsetting the amount of damage to your car done to make up for the fact that it is more likely to have damage done to it by incompetence. Either someone else's or even your own! So basically I'd say the amount of damage to your pretend car should be inversely proportional to the average expertise of those driving them. That means 60% might actually be too much damage for some of this crowd. Big Grin

In conclusion, 60% is fine (possible to really ruin your car by doing something ultra-risky/dangerous/stupid, but not so much as to make it impossible to survive a few taps in turn 1). 100% would annoy me because probably half of my races I at least get touched by someone doing something sub-optimal... and if I bothered to practice for a race and carve out 30-60 minutes for an actual race to have it all go down the drain at Turn 1, I'd find a new hobby.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz

Messages In This Thread
Mechanical damages to 100% - by Dario Bucalo - 01-08-2021, 03:05 PM
RE: Mechanical damages to 100% - by Simon Speth - 01-08-2021, 04:22 PM
RE: Mechanical damages to 100% - by Dario Bucalo - 01-08-2021, 05:42 PM
RE: Mechanical damages to 100% - by Omer Kinay - 01-08-2021, 07:20 PM
RE: Mechanical damages to 100% - by Russell Sobie - 01-09-2021, 02:22 AM
RE: Mechanical damages to 100% - by Michal Ringes - 01-09-2021, 07:09 PM