Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mazda 787b 1-hour Daily series (Starting November 16th 2020)
Here's me and how I messed up my race today by being lost in thoughts trying to figure out Donny's strategy, how little fuel I could put into the tank and whether it might be a good idea to switch to soft tires: https://streamable.com/s6mdet
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
(12-20-2020, 12:09 AM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  Here's me and how I messed up my race today by being lost in thoughts trying to figure out Donny's strategy, how little fuel I could put into the tank and whether it might be a good idea to switch to soft tires: https://streamable.com/s6mdet
I used the "flood them with too much information and strategies in the forums so that they have too much to think about in the race which distracts them into making a crash" tactic, it was super effective. Love the gifs in the video.
Thanks everyone for your setup suggestions, my lap times improved a lot!
Sadly, I didn't have enough time to practice and I don't feel ready to race in a hour-long event (mistakes are still too frequent), but I learned a lot lapping Spa with a tricky car like this.
(12-20-2020, 01:15 AM)Donnchadh MacGarry Wrote:  
(12-20-2020, 12:09 AM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  Here's me and how I messed up my race today by being lost in thoughts trying to figure out Donny's strategy, how little fuel I could put into the tank and whether it might be a good idea to switch to soft tires: https://streamable.com/s6mdet
I used the "flood them with too much information and strategies in the forums so that they have too much to think about in the race which distracts them into making a crash" tactic, it was super effective. Love the gifs in the video.

Big Grin   LOL!  Big Grin  One of the great productions this year!
(12-20-2020, 12:09 AM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  Here's me and how I messed up my race today by being lost in thoughts trying to figure out Donny's strategy, how little fuel I could put into the tank and whether it might be a good idea to switch to soft tires: https://streamable.com/s6mdet

Hahaha, lol man, great vid...
So I just did the race at MoSport today and unfortunately had a few incidents so it didn't go too well for me unfortunately. It was my first time racing at this track, so while the race didn't go too well for me I still enjoyed it quite a bit as the track is a real fun challenge in these cars. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to race again this week, hopefully I can as i'd like to finish the series with a good race.

Fuel on the setup I used is about 1.9L per lap, the race is 49 laps so that's 94L, pretty much the same as tracks like Spa and Imola. One thing to note is that Austin and Simon were about 9 seconds off from causing the race to be an extra lap, so maybe its better to use fuel for a 50 lap race just in case. The two of them were flying it and I'm not sure if they or anyone could have gone any quicker, so I think its very unlikely that a 50 lap race is possible, but it only requires 2L of extra fuel to be safe which shouldn't slow the car by a noticeable amount.

I feel tyre wear is the highest its ever been in this series at this track, due to the medium/high speed corners being very tough on them. I switched to softs at the 45:00 mark as I needed to repair damage so it was worth changing tyres. They went to the yellow medium grip zone after 5 laps, which is roughly 2 to 2.5 minutes earlier than at Imola (they went yellow after 5 laps at Imola too but that track takes nearly 30 seconds longer to complete a lap than at MoSport). By the end of the race after 15 minutes driving on them, they were nearly in the red low grip zone and my times really began to fall off, this was much sooner than my experience at Imola for example. 
I feel that not changing tyres and just adding 1L of fuel is by far the best strategy at this track and is more powerful then it was at tracks like Spa or Imola because it is really hard to overtake here. 
If you are really not comfortable at making hards last the full hour, then I'd recommend putting on fresh hards after the 30:00 mark as you'll have good grip throughout the race. 
Perhaps putting on softs might be better than fresh hards, I'm not sure and I don't have time nor want to test it out, but if you put on softs then don't do it any sooner then the 45:00 mark. The last few laps on softs will be a bit lower on grip so really if you are considering this strategy option, I think you'd be far better off not changing tyres at all as I said before.
thanks Donny!

I hope I can manage to get in a race this week, I really like this track.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Thanks guys for all the nice races we had this season in both the asia and europe championships!

I really like the fair fights in the races, also when I lap cars its predictable and safe. The most thing I liked was Nordschleife (even when I nealy fucked up my championship there) and of course Le Mans because you did not need to be the fastest there to win but put together all your race smarts and race craft on those kind of unusual tracks (of course setup is key as well lol)
Since those special track and car combinations are really what differentiates AC from ACC I would like to see some more road race mods like Feldbergring, Südschleife, Fonteny, or old Brno for more "old" cars like this. (Basically I was watching this https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrxKo0A...pMiXRNvMSA yt channel and find its videos awsome, I dont mean we have to do the tracks in F1 cars lol)
Since its soon christmas my present to you all guys is my MoSport setup Wink Tongue Austin's setup seems to be a bit faster and Hugos race pace is up pair, just give it a try (cough, cough, Donnchadh aka "Donny" MacGarry)

See you next week with hopefully equally cool cars and tracks!

Attached Files
.zip   race.zip (Size: 583 bytes / Downloads: 7)
Big thanks from me too, i really enjoyed this season (well, except for Le Mans, the white house chicane can go to hell).
787B is a really hard car to drive, but it is really rewarding and satisfying when you get it right. I spent a lot of time practicing and making setups, and i learned a lot from it (special thanks to Simon Speth for sharing his setups, also, thanks to Donny for all the writing he did). I experienced some great and close, but clean battles.
I'm not sure yet if i'll be participating in the next season due to irl commitments, though i'll definitely be there in case we'll get a gt2/gte season.
Congrats to all on a great season; this is a monster of a car and everyone who stuck with the full six race schedule deserves to be commended.

I got to rediscover AC all over again this season thanks to my good high school buddy finally getting into sim racing, and me having to slowly walk him through the basics. Stuff we take for granted and do instinctively like how to download mods, how to build a setup, and how to race in a pack, had to teach him completely from the ground up. Didn't do too bad considering this is the most difficult car in the game and he even won a race in the North American timeslot but it's really cool to hear his feedback as an "outsider". AC's little quirks (and sim racing as a whole) still has a long way to go if we want our hobby to be approachable to the masses.

Obviously participation was a problem in the N/A races as many discovered the car to be well beyond their skill level and there was a drastic drop in car count even by the midway point of the season. It's definitely frustrating as a long-time sim-racer because we keep begging devs to put cars like the 787B in each sim, yet they are only driven once or twice for a giggle before being permanently parked. I think if you start seeing devs cut back their car roster to just the "heavy hitters" in the future (ACC being GT3 only, for example), this is why. It's a lot of resources to divert to something used by just a handful of people. Thankfully I was on vacation practically the whole month of December and able to drop into the EU events, run the car a bit more, & meet some of you guys.

Alright so the major setup thing Tyler and I found was related to differential. The 787B has ungodly levels of torque and requires laser precise throttle control but there's a way to counteract that and make it so you don't die on exit which is probably the issue a lot of you have when really pushing for good laptimes. What a lot of the IndyCar guys are doing IRL is running super low power (like 10-15%) and then super high coast (45% and above) so you can stomp on the throttle like a retard on exit. I just applied that here since prototypes are basically 2-seater open wheel cars. If you want more rotation through the corner or need to dial out excess oversteer, just mess with the sway bars to your liking.

The Kunos default setup is laughably bad and pretty much sets people up for failure. It's honestly too much to list but the two things that came to mind for me were how bad the default differential and camber values were. The car was over-cambered by over double the amount which made it stupidly erratic and had too much diff power + preload.

Le Mans was just a matter of NASCAR-style Daytona setups. You want the rear wing out of the air because you really don't need it here so raise the nose as high as possible, put it on max packers and min travel so it doesn't move, then lower the rear and do the same (max packers, min. travel). Think I topped out at 358km/h by myself.

The killer strat, as it has been on SRS for several years now, is just running hards and taking 1L of fuel at the pit stop. It's kind of not fun but until they change fuel/tire rate this will continue to be an easy way to pull 18+ seconds on your competitors.