Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DTM balancing
The DTM series is nice to have but there is one big glaring problem. There seems to be no league balancing restrictions to make Alfa Romeo 155 TI V6 (333whp), BMW M3 E30 Gr.A 92 (306whp) and Mercedes-Benz 190E EVO II (310whp) equal in performance. The biggest imbalance comes from Alfa's AWD coupled with the highest power of all 3 cars making it a rocket in all situations. Second imbalance is in fuel tanks but that luckily is not really relevant for 20min races but very important for endurance racing.

The Alfa 155 needs to have a locked/limited maximum of rev limiter or a power restriction. Otherwise it's not really DTM racing but an Alfa 155 racing in it's own class and then E30+190E in another class. Alfa 155 is undoubtedly the fastest car of the 3 by quite a bit and it's wide usage only confirms it.
E30 and 190E are not that far apart in performance, fairly similar with one having advantage somewhere and the other elsewhere, putting down relatively equal times.

It's a shame organizers didn't realize this and balance out the class for fair racing.

Is there a reason organizers can give why the cars have not been balanced out? And will it change in future?

Right now almost everyone is driving Alfa 155 Ti as it's the easiest and fastest car in class when no balancing is done.
Nah, man. I`m sure that anyone who raced AC in many DTM races knows Alfetta gains a lot in specific section of tracks, including starts. It`s just that they way things are made right now,  you have a choice what you want to drive. If you think Alfetta is the best, drive it. I`m not a fan of it, don`t like the way how it drives. So what if 70% of the lineup is Alfettas?

And maybe for people who want balance, I`d suggest making new DTM series that is fixed for setups. Fixed setups, especially with BOP applied make it a whole different ball game.

Or maybe make it spec series made only of BMW.
Fully or mainly fixed setups are a plague to be avoided, takes half the skill away and often forces everyone to drive a default garbage setup.

There sure are many ways to do the balancing and promote more fair racing be it 2 classes AWD and RWD or balancing out cars via ingame server side restrictor.
it is waste of time now when only one wek left , took alfa and live with it, it is option of all , in many sims and leagues are cars different in one race, here you can chose car which you want like in GT3 where are differencies too , and nobody cry for it,
Totally ruined the series. I was in a race the other night where I was one of only three non-Alphas. I struggled to finish 9th and the other two finished in the bottom 3 places.

I don't think I'll even bother with mixed-field series from now on.
(06-09-2018, 04:39 PM)Michal Janak Wrote:  it is waste of time now when only one wek left , took alfa and live with it, it is option of all , in many sims and leagues are cars different in one race, here you can chose car which you want like in GT3 where are differencies too ,  and nobody cry for it,

No one cries in serious GT3 leagues because they use restrictions to balance out the field. If not, well it must be SRS again. GT3 in AC is not balanced either, newly added cars are always overpowered and often get nerfed within a week or month.

I don't have a problem driving Alfa, but the imbalance really ruins DTM series and it's something that could have been avoided by setting restrictions to balance out the class.
I have only raced twice so far in this series and both times the Alfa's have been in the bottom half of the finishers.
I am only a new guy to this so my experience is limited.
I agree with Jaroslav, Alfa is OP. I don't think Kunos put the same effort on DTM as on GT3 cars. I've raced in ACRL many seasons and all best drivers agreed that GT3 cars are balanced (except the first release of the McLaren Mp4). Dunno if can be added some ballast to the Alfa. Btw the championship is already started so I doubt something will be changed so take the Alfa as almost any other will do :-(
Ballast is not the best way probably to restrict Alfa but drop it's power with a restrictor a little. Sure for sprint races you will still gain +1 position on start and AC can't automatically deal with that.
In LFS a GT1/GT2/GT3 class had Porsche like RWD, normal RWD and an AWD car, all balanced to be equal for endurance racing. The AWD was the slowest on straights to compensate for it's advantages everywhere else and it worked, but all the restrictions had to be done by users (server admins) to create these balanced classes and were universally agreed upon with minor differences in some leagues.
The E30 is fast but in it's stock form as made by Kunos it is "restricted" in it's allowed suspension settings to be able to get to a decent grip. Even lowest springs are still stiff as hell, dampers are adjustable but the adjustment steps are huge. The softest springs on E30 are formula like stiff :/ Where as with Alfa and Mercedes you can set nice soft springs that grip well and in endurance racing they have much bigger fuel tank and can drive for longer.
The whole class needs an overhaul to be honest but at least as it is now and will probably forever remain in stock form as made by devs a simple power restrictor would make for more fun races with varying field that doesn't consist of 90% Alfa 155.

Sure there are certain tracks where E30/Merc. can keep up with the Alfa but on most the Alfa easily gains even 2% of time advantage.

Just tested Mugello with Alfa, putting out almost equal times to my E30, sure the E30 would be faster a little if it had proper springs and dampers settings allowed but as is made by developers it does not have. Even on a track that favors well balanced cars the allowed setup settings disadvantage of E30 makes it slower and Alfa catches up to parity anyway. In worst cases Alfa matches E30, in best it literally flies away.
The Alfa was built for FIA Class 1 rules whereas the BMW and MBz are both Group A cars with some modifications. BMW had quit DTM by the time the Alfa came around, after getting beaten soundly by MBz. And the MBz got beaten so badly by the Alfa that they switched to an entirely new car (C-Class) for 1994. So in AC, the BMW is way too fast, the MBz is slightly too fast, and the Alfa should probably be faster!

In AC the Alfa does have a slight advantage, and the BMW and MBz are quite close to each other. Unlike real life! So it's obvious to me that the AC devs intentionally made the cars closer in performance than they really were, in order to promote good racing.

Still, It seems like SRS could fine tune the server ballast and restrictor settings to make the cars even closer, and create fields with more variety.