Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can i be faster..
Guys, just a question...

My gear consists out of a Logitech G29 wheel and pedals. Seated at a desk and chair with 1 big screen.

Problem is this...whatever i try in setups or laps on different circuits somehow i am 3 to 4 seconds slower then the really fast racers. 

Last 2 days i participated in 2 audi tt cup races on spa. Registered a while ago but hesitated to race because i thought i was too slow. Both races top 10 so not too shabby but still seconds slower then up front.

Is it my gear or seating position or maybe lack of talent?  Big Grin
(03-25-2018, 06:43 PM)Marc Neutelings Wrote:  Guys, just a question...

My gear consists out of a Logitech G29 wheel and pedals. Seated at a desk and chair with 1 big screen.

Problem is this...whatever i try in setups or laps on different circuits somehow i am 3 to 4 seconds slower then the really fast racers. 

Last 2 days i participated in 2 audi tt cup races on spa. Registered a while ago but hesitated to race because i thought i was too slow. Both races top 10 so not too shabby but still seconds slower then up front.

hard to say, i am in simracing since 2001 now with G29 instead of aged RED MOMO (only 270 degree rortation) after switcgh to G29 little faster in some cars but still 4secs slower then top 10 drivers , i mean it is lack of talent , bad coordination between legs and hands, maybe i am too ol too (45)
(03-25-2018, 06:43 PM)Marc Neutelings Wrote:  Guys, just a question...

I was 3 to 4 secs slower than the fastest guys when i first started SRS 1 year ago also....I could not figure out why, everything felt good as far as my wheel and pedals on single screen. I just kept racing, getting experience, watching my incident rating go up and up, no matter how clean i tried to race and knew nothing special about setups in AC, I still don't but for some reason, I can drive some cars faster than others in comparison to other driver's lap times. Some cars i will be at the rear, some at the front, I don't understand it either, but i know practice has made me better....trying different wheel settings with a T150 was my concern, but i ended up just leaving it @ 900 degrees default in profile and 900 in the game...I bought the T3PA Pro pedals but didn't get any faster, seems like braking is more important than throttle most of the time....these guys with load cell brakes seem to do better. As far as setups go, i try the setup market app and get setups from there, but you have to spend hours trying to experiment and end up changing it to your liking anyway......so i don't know the correct answer to why others are so fast except keep practicing and experimenting trying not to develop bad habits. Practice and race so much until it becomes second nature, don't worry about being slow on the track, just glide and be smooth and race as many as you want to.....in the end the stats will come to a standstill and settle in...i see some guys get up to 600/700 in under 100 races, it took me 400 starts to get to 600 .
Yeah, 3 to 4 seconds slower isn't all that big a deal. Just keep practicing, race clean (i.e. don't be a jerk) and you'll find folks to race with during just about any SRS event. Don't worry about getting podium times.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Gear is overrated. Any half-decent wheel will do. All you need is practice and practice and pratice and experience.

Empty Box is racing on a damned office chair from 1992 and a crappy single screen and he's a pretty decent sim racer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzYkpvaRM1c

Oh, speaking of empty box, the right field of view helps a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbbxkX7kS_M
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Gear has absolutely nothing to do with laptimes.
I personally know a lot of people who are much faster than me with pretty "bad" equipment. And i consider myself as a decent driver.
Even a load cell brake doesn't make you faster at all. Just more consistent after getting used to it.
You can push a plastic pedal with no resistence faster then a LC brake which exhausts you while racing.

The only thing which makes you faster is practice.
But in my opinion better equipment helps neverthless. Just in another way.

Better equipment = more realistic
More realistic = more fun
More fun = more seattime
More seattime = more practise
More practise= faster laptimes

It's all about getting used to what you have.
Mark. I did a post about this, check it: http://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=2734
(03-26-2018, 02:58 AM)Matthias Rudolph Wrote:  Better equipment = more realistic
More realistic = more fun
More fun = more seattime
More seattime = more practise
More practise= faster laptimes

well said :-)
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
even if my sim racing esperience is very limited (august 2017 - march 2018..) i say yes, you can improve with a better hardware, but only if you have this situations:

1) if you start from something very bad - a Gamepad, Keyboard, a non FFB Whell and you switch to any FFB whell with 900/1080 degrees the improvements are HUGE, i did that switch (Thrustmaster Red Legend 180 no ffb, to Logitech Driving Force Pro), and in cars that needs a precise drive (like the F3) i improved the times by like 2 second/track.

but itsn't your case.

2) driving style, and feel, if you have a very smooth driving style, you want the best FFB possible, my experience: in one of the car that have the best FFB with my crappy hardware, is the Porsche 911 RSR 2017, i could feel in every turn what the car was doing (especially the front grip) and it was very nice to drive knowing the limits of the car and i was fast too.
but i don't know if it's an hardware problem or a software problem, because in other cars i don't have a good tyre ffb.

so if your driving style is direct of what che car is doing, AND the G29 doesn't offer a good FFB ( i don't think..) you can improve your times.

Load Cell can help with cars without ABS / TC, and very powerful.

at the end, you can improve a little by hardware, because you already have a mid-high hardware, but the biggest improvement are from practice and setups.

see you on track
Big Grin 
If you´re 3-4 seconds offpace in a car with fixed gears and only a few setup options, you´re having other problems then just the wrong setup.
But if someone has a setup which get´s you 4 seconds compared to stock, me and a lot of simracers would pay good money for that.

my suggestion is: Watch the faster guys replay, pedal imputs, line etc.
Don´t be afraid to ask them for help. Practise together on one of the Public Servers with the actual combo.
I bet most of the "faster" guys would love to help others improve.