Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Variable Incident Penalties (i.e. "rubbing is racing")
No, this will not be just another thread in which I complain about incident penalties in general.  Big Grin
We have all had the experience of entering a race, getting hit by another driver, and losing positions in the overall championship because of that incident penalty. That is, to put it mildly, frustrating. But AC's server output related to incidents and contact is fairly rudimentary, and SRS's system for adjudicating those incidents in an automated fashion (without requiring the efforts of human race controllers) makes sense given what is possible with the limited data set offered by the server.
However we do host certain series --- TT Cup, Leon TCR, Primera, for example --- where the racing is expected to be close, and minor car contact is practically unavoidable. This is what is meant by the adage "rubbing is racing". Big Grin In these series, I would contend that it doesn't make as much sense to deduct three championship points from each of these drivers' scores, just because they happened to rub fenders in a corner. In most cases that is more than the difference between two positions gained on track! And when we watch these races in the real world, they are often marked by door-to-door battles where paint is liberally traded.
I know that we can't have a system as sophisticated as the one in iRacing, where a minor contact is noted as "0x" whereas major damage-causing contact can be up to "4x"... yet. (I'm hoping to do some research on this using AC server telemetry, and perhaps find a better solution.) But we might be able to make a change that accounts for the differences in contact in general.
What if the multiplier for incident points -> penalty points were adjustable in SRS's scoring algorithm? For a normal race, leave it at 3x (where it is now); for a touring car race, adjust it downward to 1x; for a "masters" race or any other series where you really, really want to penalize contact severely, raise it to 5x. Such a variable penalty multiplier would allow drivers to have closer, more exciting battles on track without having to worry about being knocked completely out of a championship because of unavoidable contact, while still discouraging everyone from overdoing it. Angel  I think a ceiling of 20 incidents is still high enough that people who are simply engaged in close racing still won't be in danger of going over, and anyone who does go over 20 incidents in a race still needs to go cool off for a while. Big Grin 
Nothing can replace the judgment of human marshals, but I think this change might release some of the tension, and avoid some of the frustration, that comes with entering the series where the action on track gets a bit more intense.
⌈ zerøbandwidth autosports ⌋
https://twitch.tv/zer0bandwidth
https://youtube.com/c/zerobandwidth

Messages In This Thread
Variable Incident Penalties (i.e. "rubbing is racing") - by Pasha Paterson - 02-14-2020, 01:50 PM