Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing
(07-22-2019, 05:10 PM)Luiz Lotito Wrote:  First, we need to difine dive bombing. As there seems to be no official definition, in my opinion it is: 
1-your car is behind the other car at the braking point  
2-you take the inside line and brake later than your normal braking point  
3-you are unable to hold the inside line throughout the corner 
4-you crash onto the other car on the outside line

So, we checked 1, 2 and 3, but cleared 4. However, the only reason there was no crash was because the other driver did brake more and earlier, giving away his position. That is why it is so important to make the rules clear: if the other driver was not expecting a dive bomb, he would go for the apex and you would crash onto him. 

That doens't mean I would protest on this one though, because there was no crash, it seemed to be a lot of fun and things can get rough towards the end of the race  Big Grin  .  I still think dive bombing, as a rule, should not be allowed.

Thank you for this insight!

In my defense, I would also like to point out that

1. yes, but I never lost overlap (though of course it was FAR from "half a car"). Also, as you noticed, the guy in the green car chose an unusually early braking point.

2. and it was on purpose. I noticed before that he was a good and presumably experienced racer. My intention was to make him think that I will do a full divebomb and overshoot the corner, and I wanted him to plan to take advantage of that, and to switch to the inside line.  Which he did as evidenced by his early braking.  A (planned) surprise for him was the drift which allowed me to stay close enough to the inside so that he could not go there immediately. Note how he taps the brakes mid-corner.

3. yes, but I was still closer to the inside than to the outside throughout the corner, and I left him much space on the outside (and on the inside as well!).  He could have dropped his plan of switching to the inside and move to the outside instead, but he would have to make this decision mid-corner, when he was already committed to the switch and probably did not think or did not have time to think of making that change. If he did, he would be on the inside for the next corner and probably would have won it, especially that I lost speed from the drift.
Note that I only moved to the outside after the first corner, now going for the next corner's inside. He was well on my left by that time.

Messages In This Thread
5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing - by Luiz Lotito - 07-18-2019, 08:02 PM
RE: 5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing - by Pawel Kusmierek - 07-22-2019, 05:57 PM
RE: 5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing - by Kees Post - 08-01-2019, 07:15 PM