Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing
(07-18-2019, 09:31 PM)Pawel Kusmierek Wrote:  
(07-18-2019, 08:02 PM)Luiz Lotito Wrote:  1- No one wins a race on turn 1, but many loose it. Break early on T1.
Uhm, no, depends on the track and the racers. If track has little opportunity for passing and racers are of similar skill, race may be decided before, in, or soon after T1.
Also braking early for T1 is a good recipe for being destroyed from the back even harder. For online racing probably the best strategy is tap the brakes gently early to turn on your brake lights , and then brake normally. Of course in cars that have brake lights

"Braking early" isn't what the front of the pack needs to do... it's what the rest of the pack needs to do... the further back in the pack, the earlier you need to brake. Beginners don't typically understand how a slow turn actually works in a crowd; they approach the turn like they do any hotlap and end up finding a lot of solid objects in their path for some reason.

I'd rephrase this to "Be mindful of the fact that slow turns will bunch up a tight grid. You will likely need to brake earlier than you are used to to avoid contact with cars in front."

But even then... that isn't really a "rule" but more like "good life advice". Big Grin

Quote:
(07-18-2019, 08:02 PM)Luiz Lotito Wrote:  2- You need to pass half the other car on the straight to gain the right to dispute on the braking. Don't dive bomb.

The "half the car" rule is not set in stone and depends on the series.

Sure, but I think that's what he is getting at. Currently the rules as stated means that dive bombing is perfectly legal and those on the outside in a dive bomb situation are required to suddenly give space on the inside even though they are likely not going to be able to at the last moment. Pick whatever overlap rules you want but then make them explicit for each series, or more conveniently, for all series on SRS.

Explicit rules are good for so many reasons, but being able to point to a rule and say "This guy did that thing that the rules say he can't, and so should receive a penalty/reprimand." Currently it's "well, this guy broke this rule that F1 has and ended up hitting me, so here's a video of him doing it, what do you think?" and then waiting around for a few weeks for the guy to MAYBE understand why he just got suspended for a month.

Quote:
(07-18-2019, 08:02 PM)Luiz Lotito Wrote:  4- If you hit another car, wait and return behind your victim.

No, that's too much. Just return to the track safely. The victim may have spun out so that he needs to do a 6 point turn to get back on track, no need to wait for him. Whatever happened, happened. Even last weekend in Silverstone, Vettel cam back on track in front of Verstappen.

Yeah, I wouldn't want a rule for this either. I will make the decision to wait and give the spot back if 1) I know it was my fault and 2) less than 2-3 cars are going to pass both of us while I'm waiting. But that should be entirely my call at the moment of the incident. I will say that I'm likely to never file a protest against someone if they give the spot back... so for your own benefit I'd say if you just did something that warrants a suspension (like full on t-boning someone at a chicane) giving the spot back might let you keep racing in the long run. Wink
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz

Messages In This Thread
5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing - by Luiz Lotito - 07-18-2019, 08:02 PM
RE: 5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing - by Russell Sobie - 07-19-2019, 10:44 AM
RE: 5 Golden Rules / Race Briefing - by Kees Post - 08-01-2019, 07:15 PM