Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MoonieGT's DTMurica Championship - R3E DTM 2014-16
So I didn't make any updates the previous two weeks. I apologise for my laziness and I should be sacked from my position  Tongue .

I've had some incredibly fun races at Daytona and Mid Ohio. At Daytona I was trying to form partnerships to keep a DRS train going to catch cars in front, it was very fun even though I made a hash of it in the end. Mid Ohio proved to be a real rollercoaster of a track, sort of like the first sector of Sonoma. Quite a few corners on elevation changes that lead to some blind turns, it was a really fun race to drive in. Last week at Laguna Seca I had a much quieter race as I couldn't keep pace with those in front.

I had mostly been using the default setup excluding fuel for this series so far. Front tyre wear had been an issue for me, especially at Laguna as I struggled for grip after the first 10 minutes even though I actually was pretty cautious in my braking. After speaking with a few others in Moonie's discord, I've tried moving the brake balance to about 53/47 (default is 60/40) and the brake pressure to 100% (default is 90%). It seemed better at Road America so far from my small testing.
I also have been using the prime tyres the whole time baring testing out the optionals in qualifying in Mid Ohio. The optionals are definitely quicker than the primes, but I didn't use them in the race as I wasn't sure on their lifespan. This turned out to be a mistake as it seems that optionals can last a race as Moonie has found them good in the last two races. However a recent update to R3E has set it that only the 2014 cars can choose between the two compounds, whereas the 2015 and 2016 cars can only choose primes as that is what the rules were like in the real life DTM series. I had just been using the 2016 cars, so I couldn't use optionals last week at Laguna. I'm not sure if I'll go to a 2014 car or stick it out with the 2016 cars, I suppose I'll decide when I register.

So finally Road America is this week to conclude the series. There are three obvious places to use DRS, after turn 3, after turn 10 (Carousel ) and after the final turn. Its pretty easy to hold DRS through the kink (turn 11), and I find it even easier as the front tyres wore out since it made the car more balanced through there. I'm looking forward to this final race. This series has produced some of the most fun races I have ever been in, I've been really impressed at what type of racing these DTM cars can allow for.

Messages In This Thread
RE: MoonieGT's DTMurica Championship - R3E DTM 2014-16 - by Donnchadh MacGarry - 02-04-2021, 08:38 PM