Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Assetto Corsa Skin Transfer App V1.1
(05-29-2018, 01:15 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  Some body skins also use an Alpha Channel for no reason, and DTX3 or 5 will include that channel as part of the image, even though the skin doesn't need it. Usually when I start a skin (if it has a template) I'll look at the Alpha channel and if it is all black or all white I'll just delete the channel, and that's going to be a little bit of data saved. And as James says, changing the method of DDS export to a higher compression value will usually do the trick. Another thing you can usually get rid of is things like Gloves or Helmets or Crew skins. If those aren't present, you will just use whatever the default for those items are.

I didn't know that, so you have to keep it for the glass banner, tyres (some transparency sometimes) but not necessary for the skins.

About the gloves, i found that replacing some lines in the skin.ini with the suit, helmet and gloves of your choice file save quite a bit of space too. Some are really nice to avoid the default sparco set, the selection of apparels is located in the texture folder of AC. Now it's being really greedy i didn't manage to find a solution to mix the skin.ini with some actual textures of suits, gloves,.., it's one or the other, not both at the same time.

I used to struggle getting all the bits under 10 MB, putting too much eyecandy from several skins i liked. With the skin.ini trick, it's really easy, sometimes i barely have to compress the main skin.
The skin app works great when you are uploading a car skin for the first time, not as great if you need to do an update to it, since it takes around 5 races to me too. So you are better of by doing it properly on the first time imo.
But you can upload your car skin for the first time quiet easily and quickly even just before a race.
You just need to have your skin done, tested and loaded. ( no errors, files or folders too big - (What Russel said on the post above ) 
Then, go register for a race per example 15 minutes before it starts and choose your livery.
When the clock shows 4:59 start a offline session with that same car and skin loaded.
In-game, open srs skin app and it will probably show that your skin is being uploaded.
After it does, do not quit the app or the game just yet, let all the other skins get uploaded too if there are any and do the "restart ac" on the offline session.
Then you can join normally just by pressing the "join" button and when in-game, don't do anything with the skin app and let it do his thing.
Once the "srs tv quit the server message" shows up just before the warming up is ending and srs tv rejoins, then normally they will be showing on the srs official broadcast. 
Just be aware that you only have 5 minutes to load the app offline and join the race. Sometimes it may take longer to the app to download other drivers skins (depends how many they are already in your disk or not.), and you mite not finish in time to join.
Yeah, I totally forgot about editing the skin.ini file... That's like the first thing I edit before finalizing a skin since I edit that and ui_skin.json at the same time (which is where you name the skin). Using Content Manager's Showroom you can edit these files and see the changes real-time so you can pick out the best Kunos helmet/glove/suits with ease.

I only mentioned deleting gloves and helmets since the last skin I made REQUIRED these to be in there since they didn't adhere to using a skin.ini file (Dallera F312). Big Grin
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Even, if I resize my skin from 4096x4096 to 2048x2048, its still 16MB 
Seems, I have to re-skin it from scratch =(

update:

With DX5 compression, its 15MB
I think the skinsize limit of 10MB is far to low. You can't even find one that is less tne 10MB on racedepartment. If you find one that small it means its total rubish.
Is there a way to set the limit to 15MB?
or is there an other way to make the skins smaller?
(06-19-2018, 06:59 PM)Piotr Miazgowski Wrote:  I think the skinsize limit of 10MB is far to low. You can't even find one that is less tne 10MB on racedepartment. If you find one that small it means its total rubish.

RD skins are notoriously bloated, I'm constantly having to fix them for my Discord buddies. 10mb (Actually about 9.45mb) limit is plenty. A lot of times I can just load them into Photoshop and re-export them without changing anything and it will cut the file size down by half with no visual degredation. On occasion I'll reduce the resolution like if the main skin is in 4k then I'll half it (2048x2048) because 4k in AC is overkill. Also some skin have the resolution of rims and tiny other details way too high, really uneccesary when nobody is going to see them anyway.
(06-19-2018, 06:59 PM)Piotr Miazgowski Wrote:  I think the skinsize limit of 10MB is far to low. You can't even find one that is less tne 10MB on racedepartment. If you find one that small it means its total rubish.

Those are fighting words, good sir! Every skin I've made for SRS drivers has been under the 10MB limit. Are you saying they are all rubbish? Big Grin

Seriously though... most skins spend the pixels in the wrong place. There's no reason to do a special helmet/gloves/suit unless it is an open cockpit car, and even then you don't really need to. And many cars have alpha channels and export as DXT5 compression when they only need 3, or even 1... with no alpha channel. And in no way do you need more than a 2K texture for the main skin. You will not see the detail of a 4k texture during race.

I do, however, paint at 4K and then downscale just before export. You can maintain details for logos/sponsors and hard edges easier that way, and Photoshop does a good job of downscaling and maintaining that detail (at least to the naked eye).

What skin are you trying to make? What's the file sizes of everything in the directory that you have? Do you use Content Manager? If so, you can use their showroom and add/edit/delete things on the fly and see the changes. You might be able to save a bunch of space by simply deleting things like Tire textures, special Sponsor/Logo textures, and the above mentioned suits/gloves/helmet textures that might be included.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
THANKS
AND
THANKS Smile
Russell,

Can you provide link to the content manager you speak of?
(06-20-2018, 01:31 AM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  What skin are you trying to make? What's the file sizes of everything in the directory that you have? Do you use Content Manager? If so, you can use their showroom and add/edit/delete things on the fly and see the changes. You might be able to save a bunch of space by simply deleting things like Tire textures, special Sponsor/Logo textures, and the above mentioned suits/gloves/helmet textures that might be included.
https://assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html