Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Latency limits
Hello,
there seems to be no latency limits forced by servers and their apps allowing people with 100ms+ even as bad as 250-300ms in a race Sad
This is very very bad for close racing as cars in AC then tend to teleport around, react delayed such as with 250ms (a quarter of a second) latency, that is insanely a lot for racing and even common decent public servers already kick such connections. What happens often is that 250ms player brakes, their lights show up 250ms too late and then their car gets updated and magically mega brakes/slows down to correct the discrepancy between positions caused by lag. Aka AC teleporting on braking but the same easily happens also when driving side by side and it can make cars explode apart from each other when a delayed network update puts cars inside each other.

Having very high (100ms+) latency people connected also affects everyone else connected to the server and glitches can occur.
The servers should be split by region so that people can race with others who have similarly good geo location and latency for the same server.

It is not much fun when people teleport around at 100ms+ latencies, causing unwanted collisions that are impossible to avoid for both drivers affected and the only solution really is for people to choose a closer better server at best one with <50ms latency for them. It is not a problem in EU to be in <25ms range for EU servers that are on decent connection. But then Americans connect with 250-400ms and it all goes to hell on track.

Are any changes planned to make close racing more friendly by removing teleporting issues caused by high latency connections?

I suppose this applies not only to Assetto Corsa but Assetto Corsa is especially sensitive to this more so than Live for Speed was.
My best close races were with canadians and with brasilian racers ... There were no issue at all...
You can see it in replays too, the high latency cars often slide unpredictably unrealistically sideways in corners. This is nothing new, 100ms+ does not belong on a racing server and they should choose to connect to a server that is closer to them not to EU from America and Australia. Public servers already take care of this and I think the functionality has been added to AC server already to limit maximum latency and avoid these issues.
It`s about quality of the connection. I`ve seen ppl from Japan and Australia with ~80-150 pings race normally, and then there are people from outside EU with pings 200-475 which is atrocious.

AC takes pings very seriously, cars blink, lift into the air and swing back and forth. From my experience with AC pings above 250 should not be allowed.
250ms-270ms in Assetto Corsa is stable for Close battle, i tell you this because that's the way i love to race, side by side in every corner, and i always have 250ms as minimum (sometimes 240) and i havent problem at all, I'm from Argentina so it is normal and i'll never be able to go lower of 240ms in USA-Europe servers. If you put a limit on the server for example 150ms maxium, you'll have like 30-35% less users iN SRS because at least 30% are South America / Asia with more than 180ms ping and they'll be kicked.

One thing is "MS PING" and other one is "PL: Packet Loss" you can see this clearly playing War Thunder (F2p game) via Steam, if the "lag guy" have stable conection without problems, in my case 50mb (5.4mb/s Download 3.2Mb/s Upload) stable conection you'll have no problem, but if i have a peak, i dont know... 320ms for 4 seconds and then go lower to 250ms, in that moment you'll se my car: "Flying/Moving at 3fps/ disapear-reapear/etc" when ping go back to stable 240-270ms you'll se my car like evryone else, on track, racing in real time.
I guess you've never played on sub 50ms servers or even 10ms to know the huge difference this is compared to atrocious teleporting/warping 200ms+. LFS used to be way more tolerant to lags since the update rate was high and cars were simulated all of them including opponent cars but in AC they are not and it's only position based as such cars slide and warp around even 100ms cars do and you can see that easily when you're around 25ms on the server. Yes connection quality/stability matters as well and latency spikes are undesirable for any average latency no doubt about that.

EU - EU <50ms
EU - NA 100-300ms (east coast - west coast) East coast US is as far as you would wanna be to drive on EU servers, and Russia when going east instead.
EU - SA 250-350ms+
EU - SEA 300ms+
EU - AU 350ms+
Easy to test online.

Yes geo location lock sucks I hate it too but for gaming having a latency lock is a must especially for competitive racing, if it was a cruise sure I don't mind. In leagues 100ms+ you get booted out no questions asked. If a driver of your team has high latency or unstable connection you get asked to pit immediately or within 1 lap at most to swap drivers and resolve the issue otherwise black flag and game over for the whole team. Of course in AC where leagues are kind of dead thanks to no driver swapping people are not used to these proper racing rules and commonly choose to connect to servers that are not suitable for them :/

There is a reason the location on AC servers and in SRS is shown so that you can see how good or bad your connection is to the server and connect to those that are good for you not to those where you will be warping around.

Wouldn't be such a problem to launch 1 server in Europe and 1 in Americas so that everyone is happy instead of forcing all servers to one geo location only.

The game be it AC or shooter FPS games changes a lot when played on and with opponents of similar sub 50ms or even sub 25ms latency and when playing against lagging teleporting 250ms+ opponents.
AC public servers that are well set do already kick 200ms+.
Anything up to 150ms in AC is fine, I've raced door to door with people with that ping with no issues, no warping at all. At 200+ yeah it starts to get a bit weird. The worst though is when you see somebody's ping jumping around a lot (50-200). That's unstable and causes major warping.
(06-08-2018, 05:32 PM)Jaroslav Černý Wrote:  I guess you've never played on sub 50ms servers or even 10ms to know the huge difference this is compared to atrocious teleporting/warping 200ms+. LFS used to be way more tolerant to lags since the update rate was high and cars were simulated all of them including opponent cars but in AC they are not and it's only position based as such cars slide and warp around even 100ms cars do and you can see that easily when you're around 25ms on the server. Yes connection quality/stability matters as well and latency spikes are undesirable for any average latency no doubt about that.

EU - EU <50ms
EU - NA 100-300ms (east coast - west coast) East coast US is as far as you would wanna be to drive on EU servers, and Russia when going east instead.
EU - SA 250-350ms+
EU - SEA 300ms+
EU - AU 350ms+
Easy to test online.

Yes geo location lock sucks I hate it too but for gaming having a latency lock is a must especially for competitive racing, if it was a cruise sure I don't mind. In leagues 100ms+ you get booted out no questions asked. If a driver of your team has high latency or unstable connection you get asked to pit immediately or within 1 lap at most to swap drivers and resolve the issue otherwise black flag and game over for the whole team. Of course in AC where leagues are kind of dead thanks to no driver swapping people are not used to these proper racing rules and commonly choose to connect to servers that are not suitable for them :/

There is a reason the location on AC servers and in SRS is shown so that you can see how good or bad your connection is to the server and connect to those that are good for you not to those where you will be warping around.

Wouldn't be such a problem to launch 1 server in Europe and 1 in Americas so that everyone is happy instead of forcing all servers to one geo location only.

The game be it AC or shooter FPS games changes a lot when played on and with opponents of similar sub 50ms or even sub 25ms latency and when playing against lagging teleporting 250ms+ opponents.
AC public servers that are well set do already kick 200ms+.
Why do you want to save the world ?
In my nearly 150 races I saw this warping only a couple of time...And this was with europeans too because warping caused by unstable ping , not high ping...
On the other hand I had door to door races with canadians , and with  brasilians...
I want to race with them because a lot of talented racer live over the Ocean ...

If you don't want to race with them then go to those public servers where are ping restiction Smile
I'll pile on... most seasons I race an 8AM local time race which is actually on a German server with a ping between 150 and 200, and I've had zero complaints from anyone (in any language) because my connection to the Internet is not trash. Anecdotally, I've seen people with GERMAN flags on that very server warping around, sinking into the pavement, teleporting inside my car and others.

When I race on the Mon-Tue night races on NA servers, my ping is around 30-50, and frankly I can't tell the difference.

In conclusion, ping is pretty much not a problem for AC.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Well I can see the warping even on YouTube uploaded replays, if you can't then well. I guess look better. Cars sliding sideways unrealistically because of high latency of the driver, sometimes jerking around 10-20cm.

If you're connected from who knows where with a high 150ms+ ping and then say others that have <50ms ping are warping for you? Well guess why that is, it's your connection to the server, no theirs in 99% of cases. Sure if you see their latency spiking 25, 250, 26, 29, 23, 500, ... etc. then sure they are at fault but that's fairly rare and often caused by someone downloading in background.

If you call close racing 1m away so that they don't warp into you with 200ms+ latency, well that is not close racing to me.

It is annoying and high latency issues should not be present on servers that are oriented toward more serious racing unlike public servers that are mostly more relaxed or even cruise where 200ms is not an issue. Yet decent public servers already take care of these high latency issues where people have no sense and connect cross continents for online gaming...