Sim Racing System
Too much contact on races - Printable Version

+- Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com)
+-- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Too much contact on races (/showthread.php?tid=1443)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Too much contact on races - Afonso Quelhas - 10-24-2017

Hi.  
First, i would like to congratulate the SRS team for the effort of trying to create a nice online sim racing system for us all.
But honestly, something must be done to level out the "quality" of driving regarding contact between cars. It`s been happening a lot, and i`m afraid it's ruining my experience on SRS, as well as the other drivers.
Don`t get me wrong, i like a bit of contact...rubbing is racing and all, but this is getting out of hand imo. Besides sometimes the lag won`t simply allow it.
It`s just not fair when you try to do your best and someone just ruins your race completely. There`s gotta be something we can do about it. If not, i`m afraid people may get tired of getting pissed off after or during a race in SRS, after all, we all come here to relax and have fun.
In my opinion contact should be heavily punished live on the track (pit penalty) ( or losing a position) and should be completely forbidden on the first lap.
P.s. Race incidents reports ain`t working for what we can see everyday on track unfortunately.

RE: Too much contact on races - simracingsystem - 10-24-2017

So far we have received 0 protests from you.

When people do their share and fill the protest form, we act.

(10-24-2017, 07:06 PM)Afonso Quelhas Wrote:  Hi.  
First, i would like to congratulate the SRS team for the effort of trying to create a nice online sim racing system for us all.
But honestly, something must be done to level out the "quality" of driving regarding contact between cars. It`s been happening a lot, and i`m afraid it's ruining my experience on SRS, as well as the other drivers.
Don`t get me wrong, i like a bit of contact...rubbing is racing and all, but this is getting out of hand imo. Besides sometimes the lag won`t simply allow it.
It`s just not fair when you try to do your best and someone just ruins your race completely. There`s gotta be something we can do about it. If not, i`m afraid people may get tired of getting pissed off after or during a race in SRS, after all, we all come here to relax and have fun.
In my opinion contact should be heavily punished live on the track (pit penalty) ( or losing a position) and should be completely forbidden on the first lap.
P.s. Race incidents reports ain`t working for what we can see everyday on track unfortunately.

RE: Too much contact on races - Fran Tenreiro - 10-24-2017

Protest works, I can say

RE: Too much contact on races - Afonso Quelhas - 10-25-2017

Hi.
(SRS) Yes, indeed. I`ve never filed a report, but the reason is that i normally consider reporting only on very bad cases and also didn't want to waste your time and mine, every time it happens, because lately it would be a lot. But please don't get me wrong, i`m sure we all want the same here. Just a better place to have fun. :Smile  It's just that maybe (and this is only my opinion) reports are working fine as remedy to level things out Fran Tenreiro...the actions at least, but not on the preventing side. I was thinking  something to try to prevent the actions from happening on the first place by trying to change some of the behaviors or conducts on track... like, punishing contact live on the track( because direct consequences would be better remembered ) and maybe allowing zero contact tolerance on first laps.
Per example i don't want to nag, but today i had a exact deja vu from yestarday...same combo, same 2 place in quali, same first corner, same bang on the back and on to the grass we go again...awesome. Lol

cheers

RE: Too much contact on races - Sebastien Brunier - 10-27-2017

I understand your point Afonso, and there is effectively no need to place a protest each time, but, that said, what I suggest you to do is to have a staggered response plan to contact you believe unfair/inappropriate. I mean, when you have such issue :
- try to chat when back in the lobby at the end of the race with involved driver,
- if not possible to chat, try sending a private message to clarify the situation,
- if no answer or inappropriate response from involved party then you may consider a protest is necessary.
The thing is when there is a contact, we are not each time facing the behavior of a "cock", shit happens, we all know that, and often such quick exchange can clarify situations and gently warn the involved drivers that they should pay more attention because we are here at SRS for some clean competitive racing, not public server punt fest.
And this progressive response, if done by enought drivers can help to insure more responsible driving from the not clean enough drivers, and lower the protest work load for our admins thus helping them to handle the most critical cases and for us getting rid of the wreckers in a more effective way.
See you on the track guys!

RE: Too much contact on races - Juan Reinoso - 10-27-2017

I raced only 3 times on srs, 3 times that somebody hit me out from behind

RE: Too much contact on races - Stan Donit - 11-01-2017

Hello,
I had a question about the post-protest process since I've never filed one or been involved in that procedure.
Many times I have though, "I should really make a video and upload it somewhere so I could protest this" but wondered how it would help me since the incident was over anyway.

Say a driver punts you on turn 1 and you hit someone else because of the punt. You now have 2 points (one from the punt and one from the resultant vector of your car into another innocent driver).

If a protest was filed and you were deemed "not at fault", I understand the person at fault would receive reprimand, but what would happen to you?
#1. Would incident points be removed and your incident rating be restored? You received the first point because someone ran into you, not the other way around. Will this point that was not your fault be removed and your rating be set back to before?
#2. Would the point you received for your car hitting the innocent car be removed since that was uncontrollable and not your fault in the first place?
#3. Would the innocent driver your car slammed into after the punt occurred be compensated? That person had nothing to do with the accident and got an incident point due to the original punter hitting you into them (not fair to them to get a point).

I understand that having a "race director" for every event is impossible. And these things would have to be recorded so review could be made, but would anything but a reprimand to the "at fault" driver even happen anyway? I feel that would be the only salvation of the system. Penalty to a driver who doesn't care is useless. Compensation to a driver who is reporting and wants better racing is justified if they are in the right in my opinion. Again, I know this is a tough and difficult to work around situation in the first place, but I agree that some of the driving lately has been sub-par and wondered how it could be improved.

Thank you for your time and response in advance to anyone who has an opinion on this topic.

RE: Too much contact on races - Joe Blow - 11-01-2017

Hi Stan, I treat the protest form as a last resort. Message the driver in question, offer some advice, share a setup. Most decent people will apologise, so I wouldn't want them to get banned just because they are new or inexperienced. But occasionally you get the arrogant one who refuses to accept blame, or seems to think because it is just a game then it doesn't matter when he rams you off track. So then it teaches them a lesson when they receive a notification that they have been banned for several weeks, lets them know it is not acceptable and won't be tolerated.
Having said that, there are plenty of ways to avoid incident points by how we drive.... not taking unnecessary risks, not assuming a driver will take a correct line, following blue flag rules, research who is in the race with you to see how many races they have done and their average incident rating.

RE: Too much contact on races - simracingsystem - 11-01-2017

It's amazing how the critics claim the system is not working when they are the ones who are not doing their part...

protests are PRIVATE, the outcome is only known by the protester and claimed infractor.

Incidents are not removed and won't ever be. When you race, you take chances.

We have received more than 200 protests with all kinds of veridicts: race incident, warnings, supensions(2 days, 1 week, 1 month, 2 months) and even permanent Bans

Big thank you to all of you who protest when you feel that something is beyond a race incident.

(11-01-2017, 03:16 PM)Stan Donit Wrote:  Hello,
I had a question about the post-protest process since I've never filed one or been involved in that procedure.
Many times I have though, "I should really make a video and upload it somewhere so I could protest this" but wondered how it would help me since the incident was over anyway.

Say a driver punts you on turn 1 and you hit someone else because of the punt. You now have 2 points (one from the punt and one from the resultant vector of your car into another innocent driver).

If a protest was filed and you were deemed "not at fault", I understand the person at fault would receive reprimand, but what would happen to you?
#1. Would incident points be removed and your incident rating be restored? You received the first point because someone ran into you, not the other way around. Will this point that was not your fault be removed and your rating be set back to before?
#2. Would the point you received for your car hitting the innocent car be removed since that was uncontrollable and not your fault in the first place?
#3. Would the innocent driver your car slammed into after the punt occurred be compensated? That person had nothing to do with the accident and got an incident point due to the original punter hitting you into them (not fair to them to get a point).

I understand that having a "race director" for every event is impossible. And these things would have to be recorded so review could be made, but would anything but a reprimand to the "at fault" driver even happen anyway? I feel that would be the only salvation of the system. Penalty to a driver who doesn't care is useless. Compensation to a driver who is reporting and wants better racing is justified if they are in the right in my opinion. Again, I know this is a tough and difficult to work around situation in the first place, but I agree that some of the driving lately has been sub-par and wondered how it could be improved.

Thank you for your time and response in advance to anyone who has an opinion on this topic.

RE: Too much contact on races - Stan Donit - 11-01-2017

Thanks for the kind words and feedback Joe. I appreciate your input and will continue to use your plan of reaching out as a first response in these situations. I myself have received and sent messages after the conclusion of a race (good and bad) in order to find out more about what happened during a race. In most cases, this has resolved the problems or explained confusion like you implied it would. I agree that a ban is not what I want since it reduces the people in the system to compete against (short-term or maybe even permanently). That is not my objective and one of the main reasons I have yet to protest anything so far. I have been doing more research on individuals registered for races before the start time than ever lately due to these issues. You're absolutely right, it helps greatly with knowing who you can push near and who you should stay clear of. Thanks again for your response.

As for the SRS response... for the record, I wasn't trying to criticize the system by any means. I LOVE THIS SYSTEM. If drivers use it correctly, and respect it, as I try to do, it produces some of the best racing around (at least that I've been involved in anyway). I was purely wondering what would happen since I have yet to "protest" anything. As for my opinion, I will keep that to myself from now on since it didn't seem to be well received. Your response and its wording leads me to believe that you took my post as an attack on the system, and that's not what I was trying to do. I was simply seeking information on the post-protest procedures, and giving feedback based on my thoughts. I kind of feel the need to apologize based on your "It's amazing how the critics claim the system is not working when they are the ones who are not doing their part..." comment, so I'm sorry for giving anyone the impression that I think the system isn't good or doesn't work. I will carefully re-word my posts from now on as to not leave any doubt about what I'm asking or saying.

Thanks again for the time.