Sim Racing System
Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track - Printable Version

+- Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com)
+-- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track (/showthread.php?tid=10224)

Pages: 1 2

Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track - Craig Robertson - 01-23-2021

Hey everyone - i know this is the sim racing system suggestion page but maybe a bit of noise here would let the developers see a much needed feature added to the game.

Yes I know this is a "hardcore" sim racing game -and community Wink - but I think it would be beneficial to have cars that have come off the track or have initiated into a spin to be temporarily "ghosted" allowing to re join and not disrupt the race as much. Most of the Incidents I have been in involve a car losing control in front of me causing a pile up across the track or forcing others to avoid by leaving the track and therefore having to re join etc. I know this isn't keeping with the "realism" of a sim race game but at the end of the day IT IS JUST A GAME so for the fact that lobbies are a very mixed batch of competency as far as racing ability and safe knowledge on flags, re-joining of the track etc I think this would be a good way to allow people to safely get back into the race without worrying about ruining the faster players laps or selfishly getting back into the race by forcing drivers that are flying towards re-joining cars to take massive avoiding actions.

Id say the car is ghosted when it is perpendicular to the track or when it has left the track and lasts for 5 seconds after the car has straightened up or has re joined the track would suffice. This is very similar to GT sport and it works marvels in that game to keep the race going for everyone.

Just my 2 cents worth so hope it catches on and we can all race safely and sportingly.

RE: Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track - Gianluca Roncaglia - 01-23-2021

(01-23-2021, 04:42 PM)Craig Robertson Wrote:  Hey everyone - i know this is the sim racing system suggestion page but maybe a bit of noise here would let the developers see a much needed feature added to the game.

Yes I know this is a "hardcore" sim racing game -and community Wink - but I think it would be beneficial to have cars that have come off the track or have initiated into a spin to be temporarily "ghosted" allowing to re join and not disrupt the race as much. Most of the Incidents I have been in involve a car losing control in front of me causing a pile up across the track or forcing others to avoid by leaving the track and therefore having to re join etc. I know this isn't keeping with the "realism" of a sim race game but at the end of the day IT IS JUST A GAME so for the fact that lobbies are a very mixed batch of competency as far as racing ability and safe knowledge on flags, re-joining of the track etc I think this would be a good way to allow people to safely get back into the race without worrying about ruining the faster players laps or selfishly getting back into the race by forcing drivers that are flying towards re-joining cars to take massive avoiding actions.

Id say the car is ghosted when it is perpendicular to the track or when it has left the track and lasts for 5 seconds after the car has straightened up or has re joined the track would suffice. This is very similar to GT sport and it works marvels in that game to keep the race going for everyone.

Just my 2 cents worth so hope it catches on and we can all race safely and sportingly.
I wouldn't call AC a "hard" sim since Star Trek's teleporting or low impact of damages on cars, for instance, are usually not part of real racing...
Of course it is "reality oriented", but still much of his features are compromises.

Anyway, I guess that ghosting a car after getting off track or spinning would turn AC in an arcade, since this would be resulting in a sort of invitation to reckless racing, as long as you don't have consequences on a little ride on the grass or the gravel, and also would be an undeserved advantage.
Not mentioning that taking care of what happens around you and avoiding trouble is one of the skills of simracing (I admit it's probably the toughest).

RE: Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track - Craig Robertson - 01-23-2021

I don't see how ghosting out after spinning/going off track is an advantage ? Can you clarify. To me its a very safe way to re-join a race without interrupting . Either that or make gravel inescapable and grass so slippery that you will hit a wall to the point your car is totalled. When you half play it then you get the worst of both situations. Either make going off track such a big deterrent in that once you're off, you're out the race (sim) . OR allow a safe and easy way to get back into the race without disrupting the other racers (arcade-y).

Obviously spatial awareness comes with practice. Im personally using VR (which is fricking awesome BTW) and it allows me a really good spatial awareness as I can glance to the side and behind when wheel to wheel racing. But even seeing a car perched at the top of eau rouge at spa is no use when they just fly back onto the track as they haven't seen you (for whatever reason) or aware of you coming up behind the hill at 100 MPH by the time you see what side of the track they are on you are too late. Yellow flags only warn of a crashed/spun out car. You are not forced to slow down in that sector so ... kinda screwed if you do slow down and get rear ended by someone not following the flags etc :/

RE: Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track - Andrea Piovanelli - 01-23-2021

Safely going back on track is something everyone needs to learn to avoid damaging the car after a spin (and ruin the race of a fellow racer, mostly), I wouldn't like ghosts: safety on the track would otherwise become optional, in some ways.
And it's not like going on grass / sand is a race-ender (for most cars, at least). I would encourage you to report extremely unsafe rejoins, because they're technically illegal and dangerous maneuvres that could ruin the race for a lot of people in crowded races.

RE: Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track - Gianluca Roncaglia - 01-23-2021

(01-23-2021, 06:50 PM)Craig Robertson Wrote:  I don't see how ghosting out after spinning/going off track is an advantage ? Can you clarify. To me its a very safe way to re-join a race without interrupting . Either that or make gravel inescapable and grass so slippery that you will hit a wall to the point your car is totalled. When you half play it then you get the worst of both situations. Either make going off track such a big deterrent in that once you're off, you're out the race (sim) . OR  allow a safe and easy way to get back into the race without disrupting the other racers (arcade-y).

Obviously spatial awareness comes with practice. Im personally using VR (which is fricking awesome BTW) and it allows me a really good spatial awareness as I can glance to the side and behind when wheel to wheel racing. But even seeing a car perched at the top of eau rouge at spa is no use when they just fly back onto the track as they haven't seen you (for whatever reason) or aware of you coming up behind the hill at 100 MPH by the time you see what side of the track they are on you are too late. Yellow flags only warn of a crashed/spun out car. You are not forced to slow down in that sector so ... kinda screwed if you do slow down and get rear ended by someone not following the flags etc :/

Let's suppose you approach a turn at very high speed. You get out of the track because of your optimism, and then, since you're a ghost, you rejoin without caring of oncoming racers. In some tracks (Chang, Watkins Glen, Red Bull Ring for instance) this would be an - undeserved - advantage.

RE: Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track - Donnchadh MacGarry - 01-23-2021

I get what you mean and you've explaind your point of view well, but I'm personally not wild on ghosting. I don't overly care about making everything as realistic as possible, but there is something about ghosting that makes it feel too gamey/arcadey to me. There is a skill to anticipating cars ahead that have spun or are likely to spin and driving in a manner to avoid the situation safely. Same goes with rejoining safely, it is a skill that should be learned in my opinion. For something like a public lobby then I think ghosting makes sense. But for organised races like SRS, where it is possible to protest trolls who purposely cause accidents and quickly get them banned, then I think there isn't a need for ghosts.

There's also the case in games like GT Sport and the F1 games, where the ghosting is not 100% consistent. I've seen plenty of example on Youtube where sometimes a car ghosts and sometimes it doesn't, even though the scenarios where the exact same. Sometimes a car unghosts at the moment another car was about to drive through it and that causes a huge crash. I would find this inconsistency infuriating and prefer the consistency of non-ghosting cars.

Finally I would say don't expect any features to be added to AC. That game is completed as far as the developers are concerned, so I would be incredibly surprised if they began to add features in the near future.

RE: Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track - Craig Robertson - 01-23-2021

Yeah fair enough everyone - I havent had anyone troll as such its just poor judgement (which no one should be expressly penalised for its just that - poor judgement), I myself have slid over the grass back on track myself after having avoided someone elses crash to then have a car plough straight into me. The mix of skill in the lobbies here is very drastic compared to most other ranked racing games I have played and the inconsistency of players knowing what to do/not do is quite crazy. I like to watch back the first lap of most of my races and at some point on lap 1 someone somewhere in the field causes a pile up for a very innocent mistake (someone slides wide causing someone else to lock up and then all hell breaks loose behind them etc) .... we can all sit back when it isnt us and say well thats racing you should be more careful but if cars did ghost out then it takes more problems away than it introduces.

In response to yourself @Gianluca Roncaglia - If you are driving up to a ghosted car fully expecting it to remain ghosted then its your fault for the result if it suddenly appears solid and you smash into it. Persaonlly I still treat ghosted cars like solid ones (adds to the realism) but a good number times I have been saved by the fact that it was ghosted when it just came flying back onto the track or spun out of my field of view ending right in the middle of the track.

Personally I think it solves more problems than it brings and track limits are in this game so getting an unfair advantage by going wide in a corner can easily be mitigated by putting some killer kerbs or a gravel trap to seriously slow a car down thereby removing the advantage.

RE: Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track - Tim Cullingworth - 01-24-2021

I have to say that I report people who come back on to the track unsafely. It might be poor judgement, but unless it gets flagged there will be no learning. Remember that there are levels of penalty from reports from warning to ban, and it's unlikely that people will be banned for unsafe re-entry.
If it's that they were out of control having bounced of a wall fair enough so long as brakes are locked, and they are not just rolling across the track.

RE: Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track - Luke Bouwmeester - 01-28-2021

This is not something SRS has any control over, nor will they ever. You are suggesting a new feature in the game, that's a suggestion for the developers of the game not a service that organises online races.

RE: Ghost out cars spun out or re-joining track - Stephen Hayward - 01-28-2021

(01-24-2021, 11:31 AM)Tim Cullingworth Wrote:  I have to say that I report people who come back on to the track unsafely.  It might be poor judgement, but unless it gets flagged there will be no learning.  Remember that there are levels of penalty from reports from warning  to ban, and it's unlikely that people will be banned for unsafe re-entry.
If it's that they were out of control having bounced of a wall fair enough so long as brakes are locked, and they are not just rolling across the track.
I have just today been suspended for a week for dangerous re entering the track. Seams a little harsh for a first offence especially with no contact me thinks. Unless you stay off the track for the whole race you have no option but to enter sometimes as in my case on a blind corner. i think im trying to say it can be a grey area at times.