Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mazda MX-5 series and no h-shifter
Hello!
As suggested by a lot of kind fellow drivers (thanks very much ladies and gents!), as a beginner I'm focusing on a single car to (hopefully) join a race soon. I choose Mazda MX-5, because it's probably the one which is within my reach because its low power and fair stability. I'm improving daily, but I'm still a bit far from a decent bottom half placement (as I see, I need a 1:42 ~ 1:43 race pace just to not look like snail running the olympics vs Bolt...).
Anyway, I have a question on the rules of the competition: I have no h-shifter, so I'm currently using paddles with auto clutch on manual cars too. Is it a problem? Am I breaking any rule in joining a Mazda Cup race with auto-clutch enabled?
As always, thanks for you replies and have fun racing!
(11-18-2020, 08:37 AM)Andrea Piovanelli Wrote:  Hello!
As suggested by a lot of kind fellow drivers (thanks very much ladies and gents!), as a beginner I'm focusing on a single car to (hopefully) join a race soon. I choose Mazda MX-5, because it's probably the one which is within my reach because its low power and fair stability. I'm improving daily, but I'm still a bit far from a decent bottom half placement (as I see, I need a 1:42 ~ 1:43 race pace just to not look like snail running the olympics vs Bolt...).
Anyway, I have a question on the rules of the competition: I have no h-shifter, so I'm currently using paddles with auto clutch on manual cars too. Is it a problem? Am I breaking any rule in joining a Mazda Cup race with auto-clutch enabled?
As always, thanks for you replies and have fun racing!
auto clutch is allowed in SRS
Yep it's fine, I had the same issue till I recently bought a SHH shifter.

Also, auto-clutch does not preclude the use of the clutch pedal! So if you have a clutch pedal, you can start practicing your clutch skills even before you buy a shifter (if you do buy one, that is). I'm saying this because usually, in single player, if you use auto-clutch, you also end up using auto rev matching (unless you tick off that option). SRS does not let you automate rev matching though (except if the car does that itself), so you might as well do heel and toe shifting even with the paddles. Or at least just make sure to give a small nudge to the throttle while downshifting, just like you would if you were using a H-shifter - otherwise you might lose traction.

Anyway, my times improved quite a lot using a h-shifter after a quick adaptation period, I was really surprised. So it's not like you're getting an unfair advantage using paddles, especially in cars that in reality use h-shifters.