Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mazda 787b 1-hour Daily series (Starting November 16th 2020)
(11-23-2020, 10:52 PM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  Lucky me, I'll get my wheel back from repair tomorrow. I was really looking forward to race a proper car over a proper distance on this track Smile
Awesome, looking forward to seeing you in this car.

(11-23-2020, 10:55 PM)Matteo Venuti Wrote:  My experience after the win of the Monday race: You should use hard tyres, and put 1 more liter at the pit stop. I pushed hard, especially after the pit stop, since i had Simon Speth behind me. In the first 2 laps, you should be more conservative, due to the low grip.  I haven't tried soft tyres at the Nordschleife with the 787B, but those tyres could be ok for qualify (you can set a time also on the outlap, where you have 94% of grip) but i tried hard tyres to train for the race start/first lap.
This was the tyre situation at the end of the race
[Image: nl4GaLe.png]
Just to tag onto this, both Matteo and I started on hards, pitted and didn't change tyres. For those not in the race or in the top 3 battle, it helped me jump Simon Speth who was running 2nd a few seconds ahead of me, but he had pitted a lap earlier than me and Matteo and changed tyres (I'm not sure what combination he used). He got ahead of me again a lap later because he's faster than me here anyway. It helped Matteo, who was in 1st anyway, increase his lead over Simon, as Simon was right behind him before he pitted. The grip felt decent on the last lap, but I wasn't overly pushing as I received damage from a crash the lap before. That crash wasn't due to a lack of tyre grip, I made a bad mistake with my approach to a corner and went off. It was a really fun race, hopefully I can go the hour without crashing next time.

One thing I didn't know and would have put in my earlier post on Nordschleife if I had, is that qualifying is strictly 20 minutes with no overtime allowed. Makes sense as it could go on for ages if it wasn't like this. This means you have time for an outlap and one hotlap only. I'd recommend taking it handy enough if you aren't too confident, not many people set a time during qualy since if you go offtrack once on your outlap, then you've lost your one chance to set a time. I took it relatively easy so as not to crash, I think it was an 8:02, and still qualified 2nd.  I wasn't sure how much overtime was allowed, so I did qualy on hards just incase I was allowed do a 3rd lap, but that 3rd lap was cut off as soon as the clock hit 20:00. Considering its strictly 20 minutes, I'll probably do the next qualy on softs. Like Matteo just said, there isn't time for the track to grip up in qualy. Grip is at 94% so be careful with the throttle, especially around some of the high speed corner. A bit of coasting and early braking is better than smashing the wall.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mazda 787b 1-hour Daily series (Starting November 16th 2020) - by Donnchadh MacGarry - 11-23-2020, 10:58 PM