Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mazda 787b 1-hour Daily series (Starting November 16th 2020)
My experience after the win of the Monday race: You should use hard tyres, and put 1 more liter at the pit stop. I pushed hard, especially after the pit stop, since i had Simon Speth behind me. In the first 2 laps, you should be more conservative, due to the low grip.  I haven't tried soft tyres at the Nordschleife with the 787B, but those tyres could be ok for qualify (you can set a time also on the outlap, where you have 94% of grip) but i tried hard tyres to train for the race start/first lap.
This was the tyre situation at the end of the race
[Image: nl4GaLe.png]
(11-23-2020, 10:52 PM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  Lucky me, I'll get my wheel back from repair tomorrow. I was really looking forward to race a proper car over a proper distance on this track Smile
Awesome, looking forward to seeing you in this car.

(11-23-2020, 10:55 PM)Matteo Venuti Wrote:  My experience after the win of the Monday race: You should use hard tyres, and put 1 more liter at the pit stop. I pushed hard, especially after the pit stop, since i had Simon Speth behind me. In the first 2 laps, you should be more conservative, due to the low grip.  I haven't tried soft tyres at the Nordschleife with the 787B, but those tyres could be ok for qualify (you can set a time also on the outlap, where you have 94% of grip) but i tried hard tyres to train for the race start/first lap.
This was the tyre situation at the end of the race
[Image: nl4GaLe.png]
Just to tag onto this, both Matteo and I started on hards, pitted and didn't change tyres. For those not in the race or in the top 3 battle, it helped me jump Simon Speth who was running 2nd a few seconds ahead of me, but he had pitted a lap earlier than me and Matteo and changed tyres (I'm not sure what combination he used). He got ahead of me again a lap later because he's faster than me here anyway. It helped Matteo, who was in 1st anyway, increase his lead over Simon, as Simon was right behind him before he pitted. The grip felt decent on the last lap, but I wasn't overly pushing as I received damage from a crash the lap before. That crash wasn't due to a lack of tyre grip, I made a bad mistake with my approach to a corner and went off. It was a really fun race, hopefully I can go the hour without crashing next time.

One thing I didn't know and would have put in my earlier post on Nordschleife if I had, is that qualifying is strictly 20 minutes with no overtime allowed. Makes sense as it could go on for ages if it wasn't like this. This means you have time for an outlap and one hotlap only. I'd recommend taking it handy enough if you aren't too confident, not many people set a time during qualy since if you go offtrack once on your outlap, then you've lost your one chance to set a time. I took it relatively easy so as not to crash, I think it was an 8:02, and still qualified 2nd.  I wasn't sure how much overtime was allowed, so I did qualy on hards just incase I was allowed do a 3rd lap, but that 3rd lap was cut off as soon as the clock hit 20:00. Considering its strictly 20 minutes, I'll probably do the next qualy on softs. Like Matteo just said, there isn't time for the track to grip up in qualy. Grip is at 94% so be careful with the throttle, especially around some of the high speed corner. A bit of coasting and early braking is better than smashing the wall.
This series is great! Thanks to SRS for putting it up. Had a really great time in today's race, those cars are just perfect for a distance like that.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
My strategy: start with hards, pit after 4 laps and change tires and put in 16L of fuel. The fastest total race time so far. This is not a track for bad tires, ore you will get some incidents. You need grip and control.
(11-28-2020, 11:22 PM)Hugo Hekkenberg Wrote:  My strategy: start with hards, pit after 4 laps and change tires and put in 16L of fuel. The fastest total race time so far. This is not a track for bad tires, ore you will get some incidents. You need grip and control.
I'm assuming you had hards for the second stint as well, fresh ones obviously. I saw your pace from the standings, you had some very quick laps, congrats. You would have definitely beaten me in Tuesday's race that I won. I actually changed tyres in the race I won too, but only because there was such a big gap between me and 2nd and I could afford the 9 second loss and still have a lead of a couple of seconds. It looks like Tadej won last night's race and was only 1 second behind your overall time, but judging by his lap times he pitted on lap 6 and didn't change tyres (or maybe he pitted and changed to softs and set a really quick outlap to overcome that time loss, I doubt it though). So it looks like either strategy could work depending on the comfort level with tyres and especially this track. I only got to do Monday and Tuesdays race, I was a bit too tired to do the other races each evening, but even with fresh enough hard tyres I didn't feel confident enough to push to get a sub 7:50 without really risking a crash. I think my best practice time was a 7:51.XXX when I really pushed while still being in control, so I definitely wouldn't have kept up with you even with your strategy choice.
Strategy for this series is pretty simple.
Hard tires, 99L + 3-5L at the pit stop. Will work at most tracks.
Nurburgring, Hard tires, 60L+60L at the pit stop.
Haven't tested Le Mans yet. Will probably just use Monza set with different gearing.

Setup is pretty basic. Very low power (10%-15%), 40-50% coast, no preload. Camber I think -1.1 front, -1.4 rear. Make 1st and 2nd gear a little longer so you don't spin the tires out of low speed corners. The easier you make this car handle, the faster you go.
(11-30-2020, 07:09 AM)Austin Ogonoski Wrote:  Strategy for this series is pretty simple.
Hard tires, 99L + 3-5L at the pit stop. Will work at most tracks.
Nurburgring, Hard tires, 60L+60L at the pit stop.
Haven't tested Le Mans yet. Will probably just use Monza set with different gearing.

Setup is pretty basic. Very low power (10%-15%), 40-50% coast, no preload. Camber I think -1.1 front, -1.4 rear. Make 1st and 2nd gear a little longer so you don't spin the tires out of low speed corners. The easier you make this car handle, the faster you go.
Yeah I probably should have had more faith in my results from Imola as that one had one set of hards with a quick splash and dash for the pitstop as the quickest by a few seconds. I just wasn't confident enough in the consistency of my own driving to say it was definitely the case, and when I wrote that post I had been put off a bit from starting on hards after my slow start in the first race. Even though I don't think we've raced each other I know just how good a driver you are, I've been subbed to your Youtube channel for at least two years I think, so I really appreciate your input.

I'm assuming you are referring to Nordschleife when you say Nurburgring, it couldn't be anything else, sorry if I sound pedantic. I'm curious as to why you say to start with 60L of fuel and add 60L in the pitstop. It will take 36 seconds to add that amount of fuel (0.6 seconds per litre). That's 35 seconds longer than a pitstop with 1L fuel added with no tyre change and 26 seconds slower than a pitstop that changes tyres and adds up to 17L of fuel. Would you really save that amount of time in the first stint on a lighter tank? It requires to average the first stint (4 laps) at least roughly 7 seconds a lap quicker than a strategy that changes tyres and adds up to 17L of fuel. If its possible I'm guessing that it would require a driver to really be on the limit and push hard, I'm not confident enough with that track to try something like that. Also if it is possible, why would you use it for that track and not others?

[Edit: It seems this post is tying itself to my previous response to Austin because I'm writing it so soon afterwards, so just to make it clear this part is separate to the thing I wrote above and is more directed to everyone]

Le Mans 1967 (or Le Grand Circuit 1967 if you prefer) is the track this week for the Euro series. If  you haven't seen the Le Mans 1971 movie with Steve McQueen, I highly recommend it. There's not much story, the film is basically watching the cars from this era going around the track. The sounds of the engines are just amazing and there's no CGI, the camera's are strapped to the cars. What more could you want.

Unfortunately I didn't get much time to test this circuit this weekend, I only got to try it for about 20 minutes at most. I hadn't driven the circuit much before, I think I've done at most 5 laps in a GP legends car over a year ago, so most of my time was spend just using the Imola setup so I could relearn the track. I then took off all the aero since topspeed will be crucial here, but I spun out all the time as the rear got so light. At the time, I had forgotten that setups by Patrick Brown (which I linked to in my first post) had one for Monza, so from now I'll probably use that as my base and add some adjustments to gearing and possibly aero if required, just like Austin said. I think Patrick's setups only change the gearing and aero from track to track, the suspension, differential, etc. settings are all the same from what I could tell. When I get some more testing and practicing done, I'll throw up anything new I've learnt, but I reckon all the previous posts by everybody on this thread contains all the necessary information that can be applied to this track. Maybe test fuel usage before doing a race, I think it might be higher at this track since we'll have the accelerator planted most of the time.

Oh, one thing I noticed during my short practice at Le Mans (and last week along the long straight in Nordschleife) is that tyre pressures and temperatures get very low along the straights, since there are long time gaps between brake zones and there isn't as much lateral loads on the tyres over the course of a lap. So cold tyre pressures will need to be increased by a few clicks. 

I'm not going to be able to do the first race tonight, so good luck to everyone in that.
Oof. Today I was the kind of sim racer I actually dislike Big Grin Around 5 heavy crashes because I just couldn't believe that T1 and the farm kink didn't go flat out and missing the brake point twice by at least ten meters.

Second fastest lap time while being last of the running cars, that's a new one.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
After Nordschleife Endurance testing, my best lap was a 7:39.5 in race trim on hards and I'm usually able to run within a second or two of that time consistently. I think the 60L + 60L strat is doable as the fastest Euro race lap was a 7:44 and I just don't expect the American timeslot guys to match that pace.

Le Mans testing went well. I was able to put down a 2:58 in race trim without the assistance of draft. I am worried about gearing. If other people are running a similar pace I won't have a draft gear. But if they don't (as evidenced by the Le Mans event) you won't have anyone to draft with.
(12-01-2020, 05:32 PM)Austin Ogonoski Wrote:  After Nordschleife Endurance testing, my best lap was a 7:39.5 in race trim on hards and I'm usually able to run within a second or two of that time consistently. I think the 60L + 60L strat is doable as the fastest Euro race lap was a 7:44 and I just don't expect the American timeslot guys to match that pace.

Le Mans testing went well. I was able to put down a 2:58 in race trim without the assistance of draft. I am worried about gearing. If other people are running a similar pace I won't have a draft gear. But if they don't (as evidenced by the Le Mans event) you won't have anyone to draft with.
Crazy, I 'm not even sure I could get to 7:45 if I was driving in a hotlap scenario.

For what its worth, at Le Mans the best so far I did is a 3:02 with front splitter at 0 and RW at 4, but I feel way more comfortable with RW at 6 which I could do a low 3:04. My top speed with RW at 4 is 340km/h which is pretty close to my limiter. I have a little extra but I'm not sure if there's enough for a draft. If I raise 5th by another click though I actually reduce my topspeed (undrafted), so I think I'll stick with what I have tonight, at least with the Euro series there are more chances to try again. Patrick Brown's setup had more camber and toe to what you mentioned so I might try lower those a bit to get a bit more topspeed if its worth it. Note these times were on a pretty full tank, I started with a 100L and would have done 5-6 laps at most, I'm not sure if fuel load has a huge affect on this track though.