Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About VR
Hi,
Do you guys use virtual reality glasses (Oculus, Vibe, etc.)?  I've always had some questions about this topic.
Do you feel faster with them? Is it easier to drive/avoid contact with other drivers? Do they really worth the price they have? Do you feel dizzy when you use them?
Thank you!
I've been using an Oculus CV1 for a year, and now, I can't go back Wink
I was using triple screens but in my opinion VR beats that regarding immersion and 3D.
I won't say I'm much faster with it, but, with no doubt, I'm much more consistent, and it's way more easier to judge distances (and brake accordingly) : it feels more natural (that is, if you've already driven a car)
And mirrors are now soooo useful (even if i use Helicorsa)
Regarding dizziness, it seems i'm immune to it, so that's not an issue for me.
And, on the price subject .. well maybe they are a bit expensive for now (gear is not perfect, progress need to be done on the resolution matter for example)
But, the ration enjoyment/price is OK for me, as SimRacing is my main "game" activity for a few years now.
I have an HTC Vive, and although it is amazing i dont use it as often as i would want , mainly due to Heat Smile my office is so goddam hot need an A/C ....
Do you guys see the game blurry? I ve heard that resolution was the worst part of Oculus, but after a week of use Im a bit disapointed with performance (inmersión tho is just amazing)
Is dificult to know what each person sees, but, could you just tell me if you can read the car speed indicator numbers?  What about times table? Are the drivers names easy yo read for you?
Thank you.
It was the same for me at first.
The game seemed blurry (and mainly in the distance) but it can be greatly improved by augmenting the PPD (pixels per display) (if your system can handle it). I have augmented mine up to 1.7 (in Assetto) and it's way more sharper (it's day and night). 
Yes, you can read instruments and/or drivers names in the realtime app. In fact, I drive with a bunch of apps running (realtime, delta times, helicorsa, tyres temps, rsr live timing and a few others) and i have no problem reading them. 
With the default ppd at 1.0, it was more difficult to read (and less comfortable). 
If you find the game too blurry, that's the first setting to change.
That was the key, thank you!
Texts are not perfect yet but as you said, diffefence is enormous.
Which GPU do you have? Did u turn down any setting to gain fpss and do more supersampling or this have no sense?
Big Grin 
Glad it helped ;-)
That was the game changer for me.

Adding more supersampling over 2.0 is useless IMO (i usually stop at 1.7 max).

To gain some FPS, I've turned off Post Processing (the best gain is here), lowered Anti Aliasing. to 2x  and smoke generation to very Low. That did the trick.
Btw, I have a SLI of 2 GTX 980, but I'm not sure that Assetto is using both cards (pretty sure it doesn't in fact).

And that works with other VR games of course (RRE, rFactor2 for example).
It does use both cards Paul you just need the proper SLI bits, nevertheless VR is usually capped by CPU, not GPU.... unless you crank up the GFX to ubearable levels.... i have a 1080 and with basically the settings you just mentioned and 1.7 SS frames start dropping the 90 with the GFX card load at about 49% ...so CPU is struggling to deliver the Frames.. its heavier then Triples, really weird...
Ah yes, you were right about the SLI bits, it's activated.
Well, I guess I'll wait a little more before upgrading my system.
(can't imagine the firepower we'll need for the next generation of VR gear ...)
Do you feel faster with them? No and Yes, I feel like passing people is easier as its much easier to judge sizes and distances between you and them. However i dont think its actually made me faster time wise.

Is it easier to drive/avoid contact with other drivers? yes and no, I think its easier to avoid contact because as above you can judge size and distance. But now, you really have to be looking around you at the start of the race. It feels like theres a lot more to look for versus on a single or triple screen.

Do they really worth the price they have? IMO, yes. I cannot race without mine.

Do you feel dizzy when you use them? Not for sim racing. I do however have some problems in other VR games. Theres a specific type of movement called artifical movement, that invokes motion sickness in people. Imagine you had an xbox controller and you held up on the control. The character walks foraward, but your body does not. This is what provokes me to feel dizzy. Interestingly it doesnt have the same effect in sim racing. I believe this is due to my brain thinking im in a car, so it doesnt expect to be moving.
SX Racing Youtube: bit.ly/SxRacing