Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punishment for involuntary disconnect
It happens to all of us: internet drops, PC freezes, graphic card overheats and one cannot complete the necessary two laps.
On top of the frustration of not being able to race, we are harshly punished by the system. At my current level, getting back what I lost in rating for today's PC freeze (thank you latest version of CSP!) will take about 10 podium positions with 0 incidents. It's a LOT of work to mend a problem I did not create in the first place. And that does not include the ulcer I got for the rage of this happening...
The eternal question - which I am sure has been asked many times - is WHY?
How does my disconnecting negatively affect the others in the race? If anything, it is an advantage to have one less competitor. Disconnecting early one is sure to end up last, and lose points/rating anyway. Is this not enough of a punishment?
Is this done to discourage people for "causally" registering for races and then disconnecting? Let's get real, please. First, it is rare to see a full server 1, and even rarer to see a well-populated server 2. People on server 3 is exceptional. Conclusion: on the beautiful SRS system there is ample space for everybody. And, I really cannot think of anybody voluntarily registering for a race and then walking away. ESPECIALLY in the case of people with hundreds of races under the bonnet. If this happens, it can only be very rare and therefore not a problem.
The question remains - why such harsh punishment?
Respectfully, and always appreciative of the great service we get for free.
Pete
I don't see why you wouldn't just rejoin and complete the 3 laps, it's clear you are going to be a number of laps down the time to reboot the pc etc.. but you can easily complete 3 before the end of the race. It happened to me a couple of times over the last year, you can rejoin at any time through the server list.

Someone not showing up for a race or not even completing 3 laps, means he took the spot of someone. Maybe in the morning it's not a problem but at prime times there are very often 2-3 splits in the popular series. So many times i ve seen split 1 with 17-18 cars starting on the grid and even less after a couple of minutes, it's a shame for those stuck in split 2, and the point system looks very lenient to me already, you can get good points just by showing up, doing slow laps, you get away with 70 to 80 pts with all the DNF's. That many spots left vacant, should be enforced some way, but yeah of course it sucks when it's just your game crashing or something like that.
(02-05-2020, 02:05 PM)James Blint Wrote:  I don't see why you wouldn't just rejoin and complete the 3 laps, it's clear you are going to be a number of laps down the time to reboot the pc etc.. but you can easily complete 3 before the end of the race. It happened to me a couple of times over the last year, you can rejoin at any time through the server list.

Someone not showing up for a race or not even completing 3 laps, means he took the spot of someone. Maybe in the morning it's not a problem but at prime times there are very often 2-3 splits in the popular series. So many times i ve seen split 1 with 17-18 cars starting on the grid and even less after a couple of minutes, it's a shame for those stuck in split 2, and the point system looks very lenient to me already, you can get good points just by showing up, doing slow laps, you get away with 70 to 80 pts with all the DNF's. That many spots left vacant, should be enforced some way, but yeah of course it sucks when it's just your game crashing or something like that.

1. I did indeed try to rejoin, James (after a hard reset of the PC - 5 minutes), several times, but CM kindly informed me that "Race is cancelled". New CSP messed up big time.

2. I will say again that I don't really think anybody (and certainly not many) registers for a race and then carelessly walks away. If people leave, 9 times out of 10 it is for problems outside their control.

3. I agree that the point system is generally very generous and does not really reflect performance, but that's another discussion altogether.

4. Maybe I should pay more attention, but it seems to me there are very, very few DNF in server 1 races. Really, not many slots taken away I believe.
I ve been burnt using the latest CSP...i suggest you keep the "recommended version" currently preview 140 if im not mistaken, you don't have all the new bells and whistles, but it runs rock solid  Smile
I agree with James in everything he wrote.
This said, I would like to point that worring too much about rating/incident number is totally useless. They are just numbers, they don't really say if you're good or not, so I wouldn't pay much attention to them as long as they are good enough to be in the first split. Just try to have fun and forget about the rest.
(02-05-2020, 03:17 PM)David Iglesias Wrote:  I agree with James in everything he wrote.
This said, I would like to point that worring too much about rating/incident number is totally useless. They are just numbers, they don't really say if you're good or not, so I wouldn't pay much attention to them as long as they are good enough to be in the first split. Just try to have fun and forget about the rest.
Unless you  have a teammate!  I must stay in front of my bro.....teammates, dying over every 1/10 lost and lauding over the inky dink count retreating by 1/1000 pt for 0 contacts.  I only have to beat them and all is good   Big Grin , finishing in front of anyone else is a bonus. (esp m.j.)
Ha! exactly! I'm finding I enjoy watching my inc rate go down over watching my rating increase (if and when, that is).
It's been a LONG trek from 2.400 to 1.932 and I'm not goin' back there again....[Image: rolleyes.png]  ...hears sound of wood knocking...
There is no particular penalty for failing to start a race (complete 2 laps). You simply get no points and the consequent ratings hit.
What you're asking is that when you DNS a race you should get last place points. Or maybe your race shouldn't be counted at all, as if it never happened? I think it's pretty easy to see why those scoring methods can be exploited for the wrong reasons.
But this mehod is more like in real life; if you fail to do something for reasons outside your control, you still suffer the consequences. If that enrages you maybe you should try anger management sessions?
Also, what David said.
(02-05-2020, 05:27 PM)Jim C Russell Wrote:  
(02-05-2020, 03:17 PM)David Iglesias Wrote:  I agree with James in everything he wrote.
Unless you  have a teammate!  I must stay in front of my bro.....teammates, dying over every 1/10 lost and lauding over the inky dink count retreating by 1/1000 pt for 0 contacts.  I only have to beat them and all is good   Big Grin , finishing in front of anyone else is a bonus. (esp m.j.)

m.j. ? Big Grin
Imagine if you disconnected from reality in real life. There'd be pretty serious consequences...