Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nevermind.
Nevermind.
Woah, thanks dude! Nobody ever thought of this! All this time I felt like "Huh, I don't know, somehow the start is often a bit shitty …"

Seriously though: there is the protest form, use it, it helps – and when you regularly join races you will be in the top split where at least somewhat experienced people race. Carnage in T1 will always be a problem in Sim Racing, learn to deal with it.

Educating people helps but doesn't make the problem go away. The moment you showed five people how to behave at the start of a race, 20 others bought a wheel at the Amazon sale and will ruin somebody's race the next day.

Stay calm and try to avoid racing with inexperienced people as good as you can.

The only true solution are ghost cars like they have them in Gran Turismo.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Thanks for the sarcasm.
If everyone would know this, there wouldn't be a problem, would it? I am always in the top split and mostly Too if I myself won't mess my race up. That's why I am writing this.
Bastian, thank you for taking time to write a very long post which reiterates what everyone here more or less knows. And those who behave worst won't read it because they don't read the forums at all.

So sorry to disappoint you, but your post is pretty much pointless.

The point is, you cannot expect too much from online racing. Even with all mechanisms implemented by SRS, like incidents and protests, it is still online racing. There will be morons, there will be aggressive idiots, or just inexperienced people who overestimated something and were unable to save the situation.  Because there is no bodily or financial harm, people will be always less cautious than in real life races (plus inevitable lag does not help).  Heck, even in real life racing and at top levels every now and then you encounter a Grosjean doing a donut in the middle of the race, in dense traffic. So what do you expect from casual, often inexperienced racers.

The only solution to preserve your happiness mental health in this environment (other than joining a closed league with strictly enforced rules and with people who you know IRL, so they won't be too aggressive), is to reduce your expectations.  Just accept that many of your races will be ruined, and enjoy those that are not.

Put it in a proper context. SRS is still better than open online races. In SRS I may get punted on lap3 (https://youtu.be/FGNYIdgdJ7o?t=258  or on lap 5 (https://youtu.be/RK3LkztFaNM?t=312),  yes, sometimes in T1 too, but often can continue and maybe even try to regain some lost positions.

In open races it can even happen BEFORE T1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VQpVfduyrQ) - this one was pretty mild, recently I was completely obliterated before T1 also in Red Bull Ring, but I did not record that one). 
Or look at this open race, only a part of first lap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1cLynnYHRM -  can you even count all crashes and moron moves  ?
Or here, L1, second chicane in Monza, see what the idiot in white BMW caused https://youtu.be/IX0cpn9Y_o0?t=45. He was also supper aggressive in T1 (0:17) but survived,  and crashed out completely at 1:07, so still well in first lap 1.  

These things are common in open online racing, so enjoy that they are not that common in SRS. 

It other words, look at the bight side of life, SRS is still better than the wild west out there.
Nice sentiments Bastian, unfortunately a large proportion of the drivers on SRS don't speak English, so you may look at translating your post into Spanish, Italian, Portugese, German, Dutch and French (No sarcasm intended here.) The biggest problem is the gap between new drivers and experienced or ranked drivers with say 600 plus points. You could also look at a system that puts people with say 400 + races in a split and people with 0 to XXX races in the lower splits. At least then, you can race against people that have been around the block a few times. The people in lower splits then progress by not just accruing points but by gaining experience in racing conditions. Just an idea mate, cheers, Mark
Pawal mostly covered it: long rants on a forum most drivers don't read aren't going to help. At least they haven't helped yet, and there have been many. Suggestions of rating limits on races as well as incident average limits have also been proposed lots of times. It is pretty clear to me that those wouldn't do anything to help either, and I'm guessing administration agrees otherwise we would have 700+ rating, <2 incident average races every season starting more than a year ago.

What I recommend is that, if you aren't enjoying yourself in SRS, take a few weeks off from competing here. Maybe just wait for next season... see if there are cars that suit the playerbase a bit better than the current lot, and compete in those.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
"Just accept that many of your races will be ruined, and enjoy those that are not." Good advise Pawel. I would add that even a race 'ruined' at T1 can still be a hell of a lot of fun picking your way back through the field. Believe me you will gets lots of practice if you stick it out.
Good Luck Have Fun
jim
SloBros
long text for someone who didn't ever filed a single protest...

Don't want to use the tools at your disposal? fine, just don't complain.
Personally I race to have fun but also improve and to me, consistency comes first: it's better to be 3 seconds off pace without spinning rather than make a good lap and then crash.

I agree with you about driving your race: to me, if someone is way faster, I let him pass without fighting but if I can catch up with him, I try to fight.

Something I hate about some people is their complete lack of sportsmanship: they zig-zag through the track, block your line, etc... especially during the first laps: they try to overtake immediately but in the process they hit you or push you out of track (today with the Cayman at the Red Bull ring I had to move away, brake and lose positions to avoid any accident), most of them just don't care about the points and you can see it because they often door-to-door bump people.
Personally, I would like the radar to be mandatory.

When an incident happens, I always PM the guy and apologize while explaining why I made that mistake, and I expect the same when someone crash me out of the race; if they don't apologize, I protest (yesterday with DRM I got accused by a guy to have ruined his race at the start but watching the replay I noticed that while he had a really poor start, I gained 5 positions in 20 meters; while I was passing him, he closed the gap and hit me).

About your incident ban, I think 3 it's too low, too many innocents would be involved and probably leave the platform.

Anyway thanks to take time to write this thread, it's great to see different points of view from other drivers.
(11-26-2019, 09:11 PM)simracingsystem Wrote:  long text for someone who didn't ever filed a single protest...

Don't want to use the tools at your disposal? fine, just don't complain.

exactly

and my comment was 100% serious after the word "seriously"

Thanks SRS people for participating in serious topics like that.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020