Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Octavias
Hey all,

Liking the concept of the Octavia's but struggling to get the balance of the these in racing. Lots of lift off oversteer but can't quite work out how to amend for it, seems like lots of 50% braking, then accelerate through the turn, but high speed corners it just slips round off the back end? Any suggestions?

Cheers
(11-05-2019, 11:49 PM)Kevin Aylett Wrote:  Hey all,

Liking the concept of the Octavia's but struggling to get the balance of the these in racing. Lots of lift off oversteer but can't quite work out how to amend for it, seems like lots of 50% braking, then accelerate through the turn, but high speed corners it just slips round off the back end? Any suggestions?

Cheers

don't turn the wheel too much too fast, tiny increments
(11-06-2019, 10:18 AM)Michael Butler Wrote:  
(11-05-2019, 11:49 PM)Kevin Aylett Wrote:  Hey all,

Cheers

don't turn the wheel too much too fast, tiny increments

Back to the tweaking stage then with my wheel settings, too used to thrashing the Seat Leon around and MX-5’s on iRacing
Don't go nuts on your wheel calibration settings just yet. The Octavia has a "steering assist" setting that appears to regulate the power steering but also multiply input. If you're having problems with oversteer, just crank that down a few ticks and see what happens.

But as Mike said, your best bet for controlling the snap-oversteer behavior is to make sure you separate your braking from your turning. All the weight in this car is up in the front, so when you hit the brakes, it takes all the effective weight off the rear tires, and leaves you vulnerable to a snap spin. (If you've ever raced a '90s Honda Civic or CRX in real life, it's much the same effect.) Brake for the corner, then turn in, then accelerate out to smash the weight toward the back and equalize the handling of the car. Brands Hatch is a great "first track" for this car because of its flow; it will reward you when you get it right, but instantly punish you when you get it wrong. Big Grin
⌈ zerøbandwidth autosports ⌋
https://twitch.tv/zer0bandwidth
https://youtube.com/c/zerobandwidth
I really like the Octavias. I've not really driven much FWD and it was a steep learning curve.

I know Brands really well and got the basic hang of the car after about 10 laps. Might be good to try the car at a track you know really well.

The trick is, as others have said, to drive the car as smoothly as possible. Brake smoothly and then apply a little throttle and increase it as your steering decreases and the corner opens up. If you do mess up the car will respond well to lots of throttle and will slide at extreme angles and pull itself straight.

Might be an idea to play with the rear toe if the car is loosing it on high speed corners.

Practice.

Cheers,

Ben
What a cruel driving, the Octavia actually drive so unpredictable?
It makes no fun
I'm really liking the Octavia, FWD race cars are pretty unpredictable.
You have to be really smooth and like some others said before, trail braking and other driving techniques you usually use in racing might kill you with this car.
You basically are steering the car with the throttle and you have to get used to actually stepping on the gas to save over-steer.
Sure it does not help ABS is off, but right now this might be the most driver demanding race series in SRS when it comes to car control.