Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does SP stand for
Hello all.

I would just like to find out what does SP stand for in the Championship standings table? Please see attachment.

Thanks all. Keep up the good work.

Ruan Smith

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Not sure what the letters S and P actually stand for, but it's your race results combined.

So when you finished 3rd, 7th and 5th in the the races in that series your SP will be 15
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
I believe it's the Sum of Positions. But, it's what Simon said. I'm guessing it's used for deciding placings when other criteria like points, or wins, are the same.
Isn't it pretty useless as an indicator of how good someone is?

Because a person who took part in one race of a six-race series and came 3rd would have a lower (=better) SP than someone who won the other 5. Maybe it should be AP: average position, i.e. SP divided by the number of races the person was in.
But somebody who got 3rd in one race is ranked lower than somebody who won five races anyways.

That rating only applies if two people have the same amount of points, same amount of wins, same amount of second places, same amount of third places and same amount of incidents.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Right, probably there is no combination of results and no-shows when it could become an issue. Still AP normalized to participation feels like a better measure to me.
That's true, but I guess the SRS guys have more pressing things to optimize Wink