Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Ping / Packet loss thoughts
After the summer break i when back to racing on my favorite platform and realized something after i had a race where i had a bad ping due to network problems of my provider of 180ms instead of 22-30. The race was held in silverstone with the praga R1 and a car in front of me braked a little bit on a spot you normally wont, due to my bad ping i had no chance of avoiding slamming into his rear as he just appeared in front of me. That made me realize that on several race starts there has been some strange incidents happened to me (when my ping was 22ms) of somebody slamming right into me from behind when i had a bad start. The worst incident was on Tor Poznan with the Mini when a car just warped in and out of existence parked on the grid and me and others where confronted with a roadblock we couldn't avoid. My car was damaged beyond repair and the race was over. Even if the car in front of you is just warping a little bit you better not try to race close to him, because contact with uncertain outcome is likely. Without this high ping related problems, racing is pretty clean here. I would go so far that the majority of frustrating moments in the tracks in srs are ping / packet loss related especially in the first lap.

Is there a ping limit in place? Is there a method to detect warping racers with packet loss / inconsistent ping? Is there a timeout limit, since the warping car on the grid did not move for approximately 2 minutes? Would a rolling start work if this option exists?

Either way still the best place to race in AC thanks for that.

ps.: please chill in the first lap with the 3 wide corner situations Wink
Ping (within reason) is pretty much a non-issue if the connection is stable. I've done close racing with Aussies with 300 pings before. It's the packetloss that is the problem.

There are no rules that I know of for connection quality restrictions. You just have to look for yellow and red names, hinky car motion, and then use your best judgement when getting near them.

I don't think AC has regulated rolling starts. I've been in a couple of leagues that did rolling starts, but it had to be handled by a bunch of rules and agreement from all drivers and such where everyone does the first lap under some max speed with no passing, etc. (i.e. not really something that would fly here, I don't think).

And finally, I'd love it if more folks would chill on the first lap, but alas, there are many who think this is a PRO DRIVING CIRCUIT and use the first lap to gain a bunch of positions they'll never keep... even in just a 20 minute race. At this point I just smile and try to enjoy climbing from 23rd to 1st as fast as possible while not actually hitting anyone.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
AC netcode predicts the position of the car to a degree as i understand it. So if your opponent knows the track well and has the same break points and holds his line, the prediction is mostly right and it seems ok. Maybe you see the odd turn in warping but that's it. But if someone breaks suddenly or chances direction unexpectedly the rest of the field gets the information delayed.

For example my ping was 180ms to the server, the racer in front of me has a ping of 50ms when he starts to break suddenly i get the visible confirmation with a 230ms delay, ad my reaction time of optimistic 200ms and we have almost half a second before i start to break, at 230 km/h that's 27 meters.

I don't mind racing for any position on the grid, i like clean racing without suicide maneuvers. Yesterday i had great fun with the mini on tor peznan racing for 13th place even after i fucked up my chance to get a top 10 position due to my mistakes.

So yeah low ping all around would be great.