Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faster in race than in qualify?
Sometimes (indeed, almost always) it happens that the personal best of the race is way better than the qualify lap.
For example, in the Austin Mini Cooper race at Magione (yesterday evening) the pole lap of Alex Nelson was 1:27.787, of Szilveszter Szoboszlai was 1:28.224 (3rd) and mine was 1:28.609 (6th)
In race, Nelson practically did the same laptime (1:27.799), Szoboszlai improved his laptime of around 6 tenths of a second (1:27.634) and mine was almost 7 tenths better (1:27.924)!
I want to know if that's a personal problem (in qualify you are concetrated only on your laptime, but in race you want to catch the guy in front of you, if you have one,  not caring about fastest lap) or a track behaviour (perhaps, as the laps go by, the track improves and therefore, even with the tires worn, you can improve your lap, in fact it happens that sometimes the personal best is done in the last laps)
An other thing, sometimes my PB in the server is way better than the lap i did in practice (for the track improvement with every lap? In practice i set the track grip to optimum)
For me its combination of pushing myself harder, learning different faster lines/brake points by seeing what the guys in front of me are doing and copying them during the race and the benefits of draft. The better you're at a track the less you need to learn during a race and the less/no benefit of draft like pole position with Nelson not having any and thus doing almost the same time.
It happens to me frequently.

Remember that we mostly do 20min sprint races here, so they are like quali sessions. Fuel load is rarely an issue and tires only really go off the last 3 laps or so.

So you hit a sweet spot around mid race where grip is good, fuel is low (enough) and you're in a good rythm.

From my experience the ideal moment for a fastest lap is the last lap in quali: no fuel and highest grip. But you need to nail it that lap and not have any traffic. In race you get a few shots if you race in no man's land.

Usually by the end of the week my fastest race lap and my fastest quali lap are very close.

Cheers

Chris
I also think that this a combination of performing better under pressure, learning from/mimicking faster guys, and occasionally draft.
and in race is the track grip highest, on pre Q practice i lowest then in Q is little higher and in race 100% so expect best laps in race