Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you deal with (or prevent) being involved in other peoples' accidents?
Wow. why did the green car run into them?
(08-12-2019, 03:22 PM)Pawel Kusmierek Wrote:  Wow. why did the green car run into them?

Guessing the green car had better exit because the guys infront were fighting + p2p active and thought he could slip in between them but they closed up and he ended up pit manoeuvring the one guy which chain reacted into the other.
" he could slip in between "...smh... that could have worked with AI (btdt) which tend to move away, but not with real people
Quote:How do you deal with (or prevent) being involved in other peoples' accidents?

Race often, gain experience, use your brakes, use your mirrors; rinse and repeat.

After a year or two you know how to avoid douchebags.

Also, surviving rookies helps tremendously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U

It's made with iRacing oval footage, but the principles are the same for any kind of racing (on tarmac at least).
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
One simple rule: be prepared to sacrifice. You know you should be 5th judging by th epace you have? Be prepared to finish 8th and sacrifice position for safety.

That's if you value safety. If you value champioship points, go full throttle and hope at least 1 out of the 5 races you have to get your points average it goes well Smile

I am by no means an alien, my speed usually allows me to compete for podiums and the odd win falls into my lap when no aliens are around. I do however usually finish higher up than my pure speed allows me to. Sometimes that will be third, sometimes 5th, but unless I run out of luck If there's 4 faster drivers around me I usually finish ahead of 2 of them. How? Easy: patience, drive within your limits, be consistent, don't nmake mistakes, AVOID CRASHES. Choose all of that above defending your position.

This is frustrating when you know yuo lose position because you slow down. but in the long run you will finish higher up more often than lower down.

Here's a subset of rules:

1) Against faster drivers defend, but defend cleanly. Maybe he makes a mistake and overdrives, good for you. If he doesn't he will go past at some point. No need for you both to go off. And chances are that he will make a mistake further up the road. So defend but defend using your brain: leave room and try not to lose too much time yourself fighting a losing battle.

2) Against aggressive drivers: defend with extrem caution, meaning only ever defend the inside. If they have a look down the inside, lift and let them through. Most aggressove drivers last 2 laps, then you take them back again when they're in the grass.

3) Attack with caution: only attack when you know you are faster at this point of the track and when you can take the inside.

4) Only engage in back and forth battles with drivers you know. usually after a while you know who you race with. They will leave room and you will leave room. That's the fun part - but that will only happen after a few races.

5) Observe the battles ahead of you: you can see who leaves room and who doesn't.

6) Learn how to drive closely to the guy in front. Just safely sitting on his bumper is often more effective than any moves. Most drivers make mistakes under pressure.

7) race when you qualify in top 4, more often than not you can trust the guys around you.prepare to hiold back when you qualify in midfield, more often than not it's havoc there and it's better to enter the race with the mindset of trying not to crash rather than trying to make up positions. (Yesterday I finished 2nd after qualying 10th just by keeping out of trouble!)

8) Assume the fast that you will have 50% good races. 50% rubbish races: simply because you can't control it all if you race in the pack. Shit happens in racing. What you can do is to minimise it. And you can minimise it enough to have more good results than bad.

9) Last but not least: qualify near the front - it's the safest thing you can do Smile

Cheers

Chris
Hello everyone!
Thanks for the tips everyone!
I am a noob on the track (I come from the gravel of Richard Burns Rally) and everything serves to learn.
I try to be as clean as possible, and make the least mistakes, but as Chris said with pressure many silly mistakes are made. I hope that ends with time.
On the other hand, if I meet someone on the track, know that my mistakes are involuntary. For example, in the first race with the Prague R1, I spun on the curve and stayed on the line. Unfortunately, the one who came behind me didn't have time to dodge me. I still admit that I shouldn't have participated in the race because I don't feel comfortable in an FWD, so I decided not to participate anymore, until I practiced without spinning in 12 laps.
You should know most of the seasoned 1 split members could do a race with their eyes closed, that is how well they know the car/track combo.

If you (not you in particular) cannot control your virtual car then do not be surprised when you end up on the bad end of a protest.
You start from the back and avoid fighting people for positions
Brakes? Is it edible?  Undecided
Yes, I thought about it after the spin with Praga.  I think I will even win some positions!  LOL
The three-point penalty for car contact in terms of championship points is designed to be severe. One tiny bumper-to-bumper touch can cost you more than losing a position. If you care about points, then go ahead and sacrifice a position to stay clean. You might find that you finish in the standings ahead of the car who passed you on track.

You will still find people who don't care about anything or anyone, and think they are playing the first GranTurismo where your "fast line" was to divebomb the AI car, bounce off, and keep going. (That's not SRS's fault; those people are everywhere.) But if you avoid causing incidents yourself, you can minimize your penalty points and finish well in the standings over time.
⌈ zerøbandwidth autosports ⌋
https://twitch.tv/zer0bandwidth
https://youtube.com/c/zerobandwidth