Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Global Rating Position #300, without a single win
I started driving Sims in August last year, and started racing in December. The fact that I sit today at 706.5 rating points and I reached the 300th position is a reason for great joy - it's an achievement for which I worked hard, especially in the last three months, and I am very, very happy. Never ever, as months passed and the number of races grew, I believed I could make it.  

I am also intensely puzzled, though. I got here without being fast, and without ever winning a single race. 

Only a few months ago, on this very forum, I was venting my frustration for not being fast and - especially - for not understanding why I wasn't fast. Experienced people told me that, by sticking to it, things would improve. Yes, of course they have, but the distance in terms of performance with the aliens (easily 4 secs) and the very fast drivers (between 1 and 2.5) remains as incomprehensible as it was then. I spend hours editing side-by-side, me-and-him videos trying to understand what they do different, and I don't. I have more or less come to accept it, but it remains very frustrating. 

What makes me happy is that I managed to capitalise on my strengths rather than trying to be something I will never be. I am good at putting in clean, consistent laps within a few tenths, somewhere 0.5 sec below my limit. I very rarely self-spin, and when I do I practically never crash. I do all I possibly can to avoid incidents (inc avg historically between 1.5 and 1.6, and I can confidently say that I had responsibility for perhaps 10% of them). I am also good at not being competitive: if I see somebody behind me who is either clearly faster, or clearly aggressive, I let them go right away. If I don't qualify within the top 10, I do not engage for the first lap (at the end of which, I find myself practically always in the top 10...). My avatar is a vulture, by the way. Many would look at this "accountant" attitude with contempt. I can easily see why, but I understood that clean driving is a much better determinant of rating than fast driving. Many buddies are considerably faster than me, they actually win races, and they sit 50 or 100 points below me in rating. I'm not winning material, I simply am not. Maybe one day, by sheer chance, I will end up winning one, but my strengths are elsewhere, and I must be content with those.

Thank you for reading this very personal reflection, and especially for the many hours of fun many of you have given me.

To the masses of imbeciles who come to our races thinking they are racing AI, or on a public server, and spoil the pleasure for everybody, I say - you a re a necessary evil. Necessary, perhaps. Evil, for sure.

See you on track.

P
Congratulations for your global rating sir Parisetti. I know, more is coming because you deserve it. You are really fair driver and you are always avoiding contacts. I enjoy racing with you because i know that you wont touch me while braking or turning in.
Congratulations, Pete.

I completely agree that clean racing pays off, especially for slower racers. Like me, and maybe you in the past, possibly not so much anymore, if you often end up in top 10....

Another thing that pays off is participation. I am quite amazed that even in races that I lost I get points. I was actually DQed 2 days ago (I was progressing through the field the clean-and-slow-racer way, that is the fast guys were crashing and spinning out, while I was just driving by,  but I had to pass a major crash outside the track, got a penalty which i did not notice due to VR) and still improved my rating. Though it's only 1241 (562.6 points), I got there with as few as 47 starts.  

The secret formula clearly has its quirks.

The other thing that probably works to help me out is that I often do races with not so many racers, meaning good points even if I come last.
Yes, Pete is "porreta". See you on tracks.
You make SRS bigger, Pete. Your example is THE example. Thanks for sharing with us your experience, I appreciate that, friend!
Shaun Clarke Racing team.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXFr32FURbIpcY7IAMUaO7A
(08-06-2019, 01:28 PM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  See you on track.

P

entry and exit, braking and throttle,listening to that engine get faster each sector, snatch that wheel, use the brake and gearing to turn the car, over and over, different lines, setup changes, all makes a good soup, enjoy your journey.
I continue to find little things that I was doing wrong before after... geez, now YEARS of sim racing. But at this point the gains are in the tenths of seconds. My brain is not wired to be an alien, but podium finishes are not unheard of for me after so long (525 starts as of typing). Just keep trying new things in practice, and keep your consistency that you already have... consistent? Smile

If I might make ONE suggestion though... don't just give up positions to faster drivers. It is good to practice race craft when possible. Good drivers will still pass you cleanly even if you are trying to defend, and when you DO get fast enough to be in the running for a podium, being able to hold off someone a bit faster than you for just ONE MORE LAP will be one of the most satisfying things you do in simracing.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Congratulations for being on the top 300! Raced you in a TT Cup race in Road America I think and you drove really well, you are doing great!
Congrats Wink
NEVER GIVE UP!
Congrats Pete. A post like this might seem like bragging from anyone else, but we've seen in Discord how much work you've put into improving, in preparation, on-track in the races, and afterward in the analysis. This league thrives on folks who can race hard but with respect for other drivers. One of these days maybe I'll "git gud" and catch up to you a bit. Wink
⌈ zerøbandwidth autosports ⌋
https://twitch.tv/zer0bandwidth
https://youtube.com/c/zerobandwidth