Hello There, Guest! Register

Poll: Would you like to race with reversed grid?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
73.68%
14 73.68%
No
26.32%
5 26.32%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverse Grid for SRS?
(07-18-2019, 06:08 PM)Luiz Lotito Wrote:  
(07-12-2019, 02:19 AM)James Blint Wrote:  The only viable option would be reverse grid based on previous results of the same race (like in Formula 2) , and probably for longer races than 20min. But this is really asking for more daily carnages, there s too much disparities with sometimes up to 3-5s a lap even in the first split past the top 5 or so. You can do that with pros in F2 so they can practice overtaking but this is not safe with that kind of difference in skill and pace. It would quickly turn into a random contest of moving obstacles overtakes, like it often happens in 1h events on short circuits. Ex on Brands Hatch, there were about 50 overtakes of backmarkers in 1 hour, who of course do crazy things, have no idea where to go under blue flags if the track isn't 30 meters wide (they wouldn't be 3 laps down if they knew), this already often doesn't look like racing anymore. Imagining those leading into T1, what will happen is they are going to bin it most likely every single time with 20 cars just behind...

Good points James. Using previous race result to reverse the grid is even better than using SRS points, although that is only effective if you are racing with the same drivers, which is rare in SRS. In other cases, using the SRS points (which is an average of previous races) is not perfect, but still better than qualifying.

Regarding big disparities, that will be a problem regardless of reversed grid. When unexperienced drivers start from behind (normal position) it is much easier for them to miss the braking point on T1 and take out the middle field. With reckless drivers, I find it safer to start from behind than from the middle, so they can't hit me in T1. Some of those who miss the braking points will be out of the track and out of the way in a few turns.

I have never seen the reversed grid for just the first 8 or 10 based on qualifying as Krzysztof and Marek mentioned, but it seems to have worked very well for them, so I would love to try that.

What i meant was like 2 races in a row, second one in reverse with the same people registered, i have done it on public servers with friends sometimes but we don't care about incidents there, so still doubtful it wouldn't be a mess, it was most of the time in my experience and more about luck than anything else and generally just encourages you to do the boldest moves at the start. Even then the bigger issues is unless the races are at least 30min each or the new front row is really slow, previous podium might not realistically be able to overtake that many cars. As much as when you get killed in the first lap, very little chance to win that race anymore in 20 min (even in 1h it's a challenge, again if the leaders have any pace)

Messages In This Thread
Reverse Grid for SRS? - by Luiz Lotito - 07-11-2019, 06:25 PM
RE: Reverse Grid for SRS? - by David Iglesias - 07-11-2019, 07:54 PM
RE: Reverse Grid for SRS? - by Michael Butler - 07-20-2019, 11:55 AM
RE: Reverse Grid for SRS? - by Russell Sobie - 07-12-2019, 12:15 AM
RE: Reverse Grid for SRS? - by James Blint - 07-12-2019, 02:19 AM
RE: Reverse Grid for SRS? - by Luiz Lotito - 07-18-2019, 06:08 PM
RE: Reverse Grid for SRS? - by James Blint - 07-19-2019, 10:40 AM
RE: Reverse Grid for SRS? - by Marek Vons - 07-12-2019, 07:58 AM
RE: Reverse Grid for SRS? - by Maciek Sobczak - 07-15-2019, 03:30 PM
RE: Reverse Grid for SRS? - by Marek Vons - 07-19-2019, 07:43 AM
RE: Reverse Grid for SRS? - by Igor Relja - 07-19-2019, 02:16 PM