Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DTM 90s - any point in not racing with the Alfa?
... I practised with the BMW and the Mercedes yesterday for a while - then took the Alfa out for a spin and was over 1 sec faster on the very first lap, witghout even having breakpoints or corner gears worked out. So I must assume the Alfa is stupid fast compared to the other 2!

Quick check on the first few SRS races of this series show: only Alfas near the top. (I do now spot 1 very fast BMW time!)

So, apart from from BWM/Merc fetish, anyone planning to race anything else than the Alfa? I mean i race for fun but where's the fun in sitting in a car you know is over a second off the pace - and harder to drive.

Cheers

Chris
Ther should be a series that only uses the BMW and Merc...
I tried them all and somehow I just don't like the alfa, found the merc to feel just right. Not sure if I'm slower in it, but it does feel fun driving one and that's what matters, right? If anything, it gives some variety to the races at least Smile
Yeah, I don't like the Alfa either. I might be able to go slightly faster in it, but I much prefer the feel of the BMW. I've got a PB of just under 2:09, so I'm still able to fight for podiums and that's good enough for me.
I think that in AC you don't have one and the same year-season cars. It's always "the best car" of this and that year. Licensing most likely? It's very tough to find a good combo of different cars which can compete in an AC league except with modded cars. But still, in theory, historic championships have no point, since there was only one best car Smile

The BMW and Mercs are from 1991-1992 DTM I think. The Alfa Romeo 155 v6 is a car that entered in 1993 the DTM, that was by then only German cars championship. They dominated that year pretty much. Raced there until 1996 I think.

If you know you're racing against similar or equal drivers, then IMO if you want to fight for the win or high finish, there is no point in taking the BMWs or Mercs against the Alfas. That's in terms of simple lapping and handling around tracks. And I personally think that the Merc is another level lower, one lower than the BMW.

You can check their BHP or weight to power ratio in game to check the advantages. Alfa weighs just a bit more but higher RPM, power difference and weight to power ratio seems to be its obvious advantages. For me personally, I tried all three cars, and simply on handling and laptimes I rated them like this: Alfa, BMW then Merc. I didn't do an extensive research, but what was pretty much enough for me. When you see a BMW or even a Merc in a high position, it's probably driven by a driver that is better (or luckier) than most of the field.
I love merc, that's why I drive my modest 190 and despite the huge difference in performance I have a lot of fun  Tongue Smile .  Greetings to all the brave who did not choose the Alfa  Big Grin
I find that the biggest problem with driving the BMW is that I ALWAYS lose places to Alfas at the start. Typically 2-3 places because the Alfa takes off like a rocket.
I know the series have all changed but I saw this discussion and wanted to weigh in with my observations.

You guys are correct, the Alfa is inherently the faster car while the Merc was inherently the worst car. However, at Riverside I seemed to be placing pretty reliably in the Top 5. I'm not sure if it's because I'm really that good or if it's because the rest of the field wasn't using a good setup in their Alfas, but from what I could tell the difference was noticeable but could be challenged. A bad car with a great setup can almost always trump a good car with a bad setup, in my experience.

This all said, I don't race SRS to win so I don't care what car is fastest. All I need is to find the racing line that works best for my car and driving style, and push the car as hard as I can and place as high as I can in a race. The "meta" is hardly a concern for me, because I'm having fun no matter where I'm placed on the grid.