Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skip Barber, Caterhams etc - a little note on racecraft
(05-25-2019, 11:13 AM)Michal Janak Wrote:  racing is tragical last week Sad

so many crashes, some totaly unnecesary, some looked like planed action (how i can explain when someone dont use brake or ease throthle when no room in front ?????)

and only 1 apology in this week after 10+ bumps which some end in big loose and damaged car

I guess it's a fine line: if you want close racing you have many less competent drivers clsoe to you - so it's a coin toss. Or you race faster more aerodynamics dependent cars but you don't get close racing ... for me the first half of the week was a desaster and now I had 3 fantastic races in a row with 3 drivers cleanly competeing for the win, always rather brake early and leave room rather than cause havoc.

It's a fine line and a bit of a lottery, even at the front of the field. When iot goes well it's fantastic, when it doesn't it's usually just dumb ... Big Grin

Cheers

Chris
In the spirit of this thread, I thought I'd post of an example of patience paying off.

Through a bit of first turn luck (unluck?) putting the fastest guy on the server out of contention, I was able to calmly keep pace with the new lead car and ride along in 2nd for 8 solid minutes... letting us get well ahead of 3rd. Once we were about 6 seconds ahead or so, I started the attacks. First one didn't stick, but the second one did. Spoilers, I grab a 102 for this one.

Some fun first turn action... so watch at least the first part. Wink

Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(05-24-2019, 12:01 AM)Chris Herrmann Wrote:  Thanks for the fair racing Leo!

Cheers

Chris

Thx Was a good battle
(05-25-2019, 02:57 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  In the spirit of this thread, I thought I'd post of an example of patience paying off.

Through a bit of first turn luck (unluck?) putting the fastest guy on the server out of contention, I was able to calmly keep pace with the new lead car and ride along in 2nd for 8 solid minutes... letting us get well ahead of 3rd. Once we were about 6 seconds ahead or so, I started the attacks. First one didn't stick, but the second one did. Spoilers, I grab a 102 for this one.

Some fun first turn action... so watch at least the first part. Wink

Awesome vid Russel!, nice job >)

I had a very similar race, where 2 guys in front of me who were actually faster than me battled it out. I just sat in 3rd 1.5 secs back, the first one slipped up touching the grass and I was able to make a move on the other and take it home for the 102. A bit of luck involved of course but patience paid off.

I also have to raise my hand and say that I messed up on the subsequent race. Lap 2, in seond, perfect draft on the home straight and already 1.5 ahead of 3rd I got tempted, went for it, slightly missed apex, touched wheels and got bumped in the rear by 3rd who came flying around the corner while I was trying to catch the car. I could have just sat in 2nd and waited for my move a few laps later - temptation got the better of me.

So much for me preaching patience Big Grin

Another thing that happens frequently is the guy infront obviously not knowing you don't plan on attacking (just yet), so he keeps driving dffensive lines, which of course is slower, and you can't pull away from the guy behind.- Very frustrating, but of course how is he to know you're just going to sit there ... or be aware when you do finally try to make your move.

Cheers

Chris
(05-27-2019, 06:39 AM)Chris Herrmann Wrote:  Another thing that happens frequently is the guy infront obviously not knowing you don't plan on attacking (just yet), so he keeps driving dffensive lines, which of course is slower, and you can't pull away from the guy behind.- Very frustrating, but of course how is he to know you're just going to sit there ... or be aware when you do finally try to make your move.

Hah... yeah, this happened the first few turns with the guy I was following. He was protecting inside and I was like "man... if I could radio you to say 'chill, let's just put some distance in for a bit' I would!" I think he got the message after two big straights of me just gliding behind him instead of stabbing to either side. I tried to be super smooth with every turn so nothing looked like a move. I almost borked it up a couple of times.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
To be honest, I like to do some dummy moves when I am 0.5s - 1.0s behind, psychological warfare....and most of the times it pays off  Angel
„Ein Auto ist erst dann schnell genug, wenn man morgens davor steht und Angst hat es aufzuschließen.“ - Walter Röhrl
Ahhh, the 'If I'm in front please don't race me' brigade with another quality post.
Huh