Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A sim racing mystery?
Surely, only my poor understanding of the Esport...

https://streamable.com/mqr6a

(and a blatant spelling mistake... lol)

Thanks in advance for any comment.
Hi Pete

Can I ask how you got the information for the 'other guy'? I'm assuming from a replay? If so this is highly likely the cause of the confusion.

I've only watched the first 2mins of this so far, and it seems to me you have discovered something important: replays of opponents do NOT give accurate speed data.

Just watching the opponents line through the first corner, he hits the apex closer to the inside of the track, and exits wider on the outside. This indicates he was actually travelling faster than you, whatever was displayed as the speed.

Hope this helps.
Max Teel is correct. Pete, watching replays from other clients' POV never show good data such as the speeds at the moment. It has some latency involved so it would only seem that his speeds are lower than yours at the same moment, as well as that he allegedly brakes later than you and then that he carries less speed than you out of the corner. This is a part of how the network coding is done in many games in my opinioin. Your client side no-latency replay which is saved on your computer, and the replay data from another client (which means his data hops over from him, to the server and then to you...). are just not good for these types of comparisons. The best option (and hardly possible in practice) with comparing would be to have both you and the other client connected to the server with the least and same amount of latency. And maybe an actual server replay with equal latency values from both you and him.
Me and my group have tested this. 6 of us joined the same race and then shared our replay files and compared a few corners. The data varied wildly between each. Only by matching the replay file to the driver who sent it were we able to get any form of accurate data.
Thank you all very much for your comments. That settles all my doubts.

Happy racing everybody.