Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More varied conditions
I think it'd be nice to have some variance in conditions in AC. Right now the track always goes to 100% optimum grip in a few minutes in qualifying, and remains so for the rest of the event. It's always clear sunny skies, and you have tire warmers regardless of which car you're running. It'd be nice to have some super-fast cold conditions with overcast skies, some sweltering summer days which would force you to use harder compounds, so on; even some different times of day would be cool, morning or evening races, perhaps even races which start in the day and end in the night when/if Sol fully works online. Right now everything is too perfect, stagnant.

One of my teammates and I found this Nordschleife server running GT3s; it was kinda cold, overcast, and tire warmers were disabled. Everyone was tiptoeing through the first lap of the GP section, grip wasn't all there yet, and we're just like this is awesome. Everyone was careful because of the lack of tire warmers and the first lap - of the Ring GP section no less, with that first hairpin - was clean as anything. Public lobby.

I know some races on SRS are hectic and dangerous even in these perfect conditions, but I genuinely believe some variance - different temps, less track grip, not using tire warmers on cars which don't have them etc - would actually rein that in. So much grip right from the line encourages people to be heroes. I also feel like it'd be more realistic in general. Offline I take temps and grip down, disable tire warmers if appropriate, and it's great having to take a couple of laps to get it warmed up, and even when the car's optimal it's still imperfect and a bit malleable due to track grip. It just feels right.

Just some food for thought.
(02-23-2019, 04:47 PM)Ethan Dean Wrote:  I know some races on SRS are hectic and dangerous even in these perfect conditions...

This is exactly why they should be as stagnant as possible. It's already a rarity that everyone on a server actually practices a car/track combo in the first place. Lack of variables promotes easier practicing, which promotes better overall racing safety for the whole grid.

As far as the sun and whatnot, VR apparently shits the bed at certain times of days for some users so I think the current default settings was arrived at to make sure everyone gets the best view of the track. Again, to promote safety.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(02-23-2019, 05:41 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  
(02-23-2019, 04:47 PM)Ethan Dean Wrote:  I know some races on SRS are hectic and dangerous even in these perfect conditions...

This is exactly why they should be as stagnant as possible. It's already a rarity that everyone on a server actually practices a car/track combo in the first place. Lack of variables promotes easier practicing, which promotes better overall racing safety for the whole grid.

I stand by the point I made a few words later, I really think said variables would calm people down a bit. It did in that public server

Shame, though. SRS is such a great thing, but it has to be easy-mode because the majority can't be arsed to practice. I'll nip that offtopic rant in the bud right there  Tongue
100% agree with this post but doubt we'll ever see it happen. Too many people here who don't have the stomach/time for a TRUE sim experience, or have too crappy of a system to run SOL + shaders patch. Such a bummer, this platform could be the very best if certain things changed for the better.
(02-23-2019, 05:41 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  

As far as the sun and whatnot, VR apparently shits the bed at certain times of days...

Nope. I'm a VR user and I can't say this is accurate. 
As for Ethan's point, it really is awesome. With less grip ppl will learn quick enough. That ppl even in perfect conditions can misbehave won't change. It won't get better or worse when conditions change. That's just a non argument. Ethan may even have a point saying it'll calm people down. 

We could just at least try variable conditions in 1 series. Perhaps with a min rating
True that it would be more like real racing as tracks usually have changing conditions, temperatures, getting dirty/clean over time and you have to judge the grip as you drive, not just try to repeat the same perfect lap . So far the only one is tyre degradation and i think AC's tyre model is generally very good so i think it's a missed opportunity to not exploit it fully, also wind can have a big impact sometimes (try to corner with sudden gusts in the opposite direction)

Im all for at least some "lab series" so people interested in this can test it, maybe just a couple per season and keep the perfect conditions for the usual daily racing.

Only downside is we wouldn't be able to compare our p... laptimes that much in the standings.
(02-24-2019, 03:18 PM)Dennis Ipenburg Wrote:  
(02-23-2019, 05:41 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  As far as the sun and whatnot, VR apparently shits the bed at certain times of days...

Nope. I'm a VR user and I can't say this is accurate. 
As for Ethan's point, it really is awesome. With less grip ppl will learn quick enough. That ppl even in perfect conditions can misbehave won't change. It won't get better or worse when conditions change. That's just a non argument. Ethan may even have a point saying it'll calm people down. 

We could just at least try variable conditions in 1 series. Perhaps with a min rating

I could have sworn it was the VR users that complained about the variable time of day, but apparently it was just people that didn't want the sun in their faces on tracks they don't know. At one point the races DID reflect the time of day that the races took place on in the real world with some exclusions for the worst sun angles... but I think that's been disabled for a long while now. That stuff really doesn't bother me all that much, personally, but I'm sure it bugs at least some.

As for things getting worse in changing conditions, that's a perfectly valid argument. I know personally I don't have more than maybe 30-45 minutes to practice a car track combo in most series... and I only do as well as I do because I don't have to deal with unpredictable traction. I have a hard time driving safely during qualification where grip starts at 96% or whatever because my limited practice means I need to figure out where the edge of traction is as fast as possible.

And if I'm flying all over the track, you can bet that the less experienced drivers are going to be impossible to deal with.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
I have done a few variable condition races on PC2 multiplayer, and they were awesome. Yesterday I did Barcelona GT3 with rain then track drying out and then some rain again. Looks like some people risked slicks while other went with wet (I did). Either was a challenge. Wets deteriorated and overheated in the dry period, but in the wet some challenges remained, wets help on track that is wet/moist but still you are helpless when you hit a puddle. But when I did not hit a puddle, I was making ground on those on slicks who got away from me in the dry period. And there were no more bonehead moves than usual in PC2 or often in SRS/AC. (the skill level is generally probably a bit lower in PC2 multiplayer vs AC/SRS, but it depends a lot on the race)

Oh, and I am a VR user and so far I have never had any serious visibility problems due to weather. Maybe once or twice teh tramac was a bit too bright due to low sun (in AC, not in PC2), but nothing difficult to handle. Easier that RL racing with low sun and not-so-clean helmet visor
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians
For me, more than changing the conditions of the track I would like to change the track more, I always see the same tracks or that I think, adelaide, cadwell park, algarve, salzburgring, sebring, sepang, tor poznanl and so a long track etc I have never seen or very rarely in srs
Tongue
Agree, because it is very repetitive if we just racing at the exactly the same track conditions, less challenging, very predictible. Would be good if we have many variation of track conditions. Perhaps we should wait until SOL mod available for online multiplayer Smile

If you want to upgrade your simrig, this is probably what you really looking for -> https://harrismuhammad.com/philosophy/cockpit-design/