Hello There, Guest! Register

Poll: When a car is a stick shift do you use Paddles, H-Shifter or Gamepad
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Gamepad
0%
0 0%
H-shifter
62.92%
56 62.92%
Paddles
37.08%
33 37.08%
Total 89 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll H-shifter or Paddles?
I was wondering how many of you racers use paddles when the car is an manual stick shift. Are the fastest guys using paddles? The Ford Sierra and Lotus 25 for example.
I use paddles as manual gears with a clutch is a physical imposiblilty.
I believe that in cars that use the clutch there is a gain over paddles. Shorter shift times and better race starts etc.
Shaun Clarke Racing (Previously TPCSimRacing) driver and painter.
https://www.facebook.com/PlankLiveries
(02-16-2019, 07:48 AM)Jason Schofield Wrote:  I was wondering how many of you racers use paddles when the car is an manual stick shift. Are the fastest guys using paddles? The Ford Sierra and Lotus 25 for example.
I use change in H to try to be as realistic as possible, I think that in assetto there is no difference between H and the cams, project cars if it penalizes a lot
Tongue
Both. 
Moving from Flappies to H, and the dog in the box.
My personal experience shifting (hah!) from paddles to H, you gain using a clutch to start (not me as I make the worst starts ever) but can lose about .5 sec every time a shift is missed, that I have down pat.
I try to use the appropriate shifter for the car, paddles or H or sequential on the floor, no matter how frustrating it is. 
My feet can get  confused going from left to right foot braking (or a combo), the occasional push of the clutch expecting a brake and freewheeling into a fence is part of the learning curve. Talking to my teammate during practice seems to make me reach for a flappy to shift, very annoying.
To complicate the situation I found that the Lotus 25 loves to downshift w/o a clutch,  which can allow for precise trail braking using left foot braking but requires a clutch for smooth upshifts, while the Shelby presents  difficulty with clutch-less(?) downshifts but upshifts are a breeze, until they are not.  The 60% damage limit helps! 
Two hands on the wheel feels secure, 'riding' the brake to stabilize or rotate the car, allows for faster and more consistent times,  no 'missed' shifts, no freewheeling in N, looking for 5th and finding another N,  but who doesn't love the sound of an eng/trans being shifted from 5th to 2nd (or 1st, see 'freewheeling into...'). 
And, there is the problem of the reality shift Angel when driving a manual out in the (gasp) real world, haven't hit a fence yet, but I have up and downshifted clutch-less and brainless, it seems.
There it is, now you know you only have to sit behind me (after you spin, which in my vulture ways is how I pass) and wait for the bolts and gears to spill out on the track.
Up way too early this morning, need coffee,  but you asked the right question.
Good Racing 
Jim c Russell
slobros
Haha.. good stuff Jim. I'll have to try that with the Lotus. I do have a tough time driving Brands Hatch with one hand on the wheel the whole race.. So many shifts. Thanks for the reply.
(02-16-2019, 02:04 PM)Jason Schofield Wrote:  Haha.. good stuff Jim. I'll have to try that with the Lotus. I do have a tough time driving Brands Hatch with one hand on the wheel the whole race.. So many shifts. Thanks for the reply.

Just did my first full heelie/toeie at Brands with the 500, results as usual, but the car is very raceable. 'Only 2 missed shifts!'
I voted for paddles because I don't have a H shifter. I do my own throttle blipping for downshifts though, and release the throttle on upshifts. I have a few top ten fastest laps in the lotus 25.
H-shifter still only in practice for me... scary downshifts (like from 5th to 2nd), not ready for prime-time... yet!
I always use H shifter when the car has it IRL.

Using paddles for H shifter car makes you lose time shifting as AC slightly penalises using “wrong” shifter. This has to be the case otherwise it would always be quicker to use paddles. So the end result is pretty equal, I have seen plenty of people without H shifter be just as competitive. However if you are not practiced at it H shifting can slow you down massively if done incorrectly.

Practice putting your hand back on the wheel immediately after you put it in gear. You should NEVER be driving one handed or holding the gear stick between shifts. A real race instructor would be slapping your wrist if you did!
(02-17-2019, 10:56 AM)Alex Leif Wrote:  I always use H shifter when the car has it IRL.

Using paddles for H shifter car makes you lose time shifting as AC slightly penalises using “wrong” shifter. This has to be the case otherwise it would always be quicker to use paddles. So the end result is pretty equal, I have seen plenty of people without H shifter be just as competitive. However if you are not practiced at it H shifting can slow you down massively if done incorrectly.

Practice putting your hand back on the wheel immediately after you put it in gear. You should NEVER be driving one handed or holding the gear stick between shifts. A real race instructor would be slapping your wrist if you did!

Thanks for the tips Alex.. At Brands Hatch my hand almost never comes off the shifter. I'll have to work on that.