Hello There, Guest! Register

Poll: Is a series for newer drivers a good idea?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell yes
58.33%
7 58.33%
No, newbies should suffer same as I did
41.67%
5 41.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Series for folks with ratings under 500?
As someone close to 500, I would agree with Russel. Rating doesn't really matter. Sure, over the time and number of people it evens out, so it's doing it's job to rank people, but I've seen a lot of people in high 500s, and even in 600s, who are either fast and dirty (or maybe I should say reckless), or slow and clean. Nobody knows the correct formula for calculating the rating, but I think it could use few more variables. My guess is it uses number of incidents, and average rating of the field. So if you finish high with few incidents, it awards you the same rating if you finish low with zero. If it used more stuff like numbers of off tracks, cuts, your consistency (average delta from your best lap as well as from session's best) it would probably be more accurate. But then it would lower the impact of incidents and "encourage" people to bump others out of their way even more. So, TBH, I'm not sure how I would balance it, if that date is even extractable from AC. But that's too much off topic.

I think that the biggest problem would be that it would dilute the field even more. There's just not that many people who race here to justify cutting off a large portion of it. Ideal solution would be some kind of licencing system or beginner's cups, like you have in every career mode. Something that only new drivers can race for a week or two. So, pretty much the same thing that you suggested, but I would limit the participation by number of races, not rating. For example, you have to finish 10 MX5 races with less than 5 incidents and more than 6 drivers to be able to register for other races. But in the end, it boils down to the same problem: number of drivers. If you end up in slow week or two (registration wise) where there just aren't enough new drivers, you might be stuck in those for a while. And it would depend on how much work is needed behind the scenes to set everything up. After all, all this is free, and we can't realistically expect admin and his crew (if he even has one) to maintain everything, review protest, solve problems, and do everything else to keep this thing running 24/7, and ask him to add new features.

So there's really no easy yes/no answer for this. I'm sure everybody would like to have more even splits, but, IMO at the moment, there are just to many drawbacks to separating drivers into even more servers, so I vote no.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Series for folks with ratings under 500? - by Igor Relja - 02-02-2019, 02:38 PM