Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Humble request for advice
(01-24-2019, 11:09 PM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  If not going by the "green", how does one understand if the tires are performing as they should?
Crudely, by lap times and the seat of your pants (responsiveness, stability, FFB, tire squeal...)

Or more precisely, the same way pros do it by testing on a skidpad and measuring with data acquisition.
Whoever you saw do a 1:59 it must have not been a clean lap as SRS has not recorded it on the fastest lap board. Although I don’t see Roman on there yet!

The fastest on there is 0.009 quicker than my lap and was set yesterday in my slipstream, and we were pushing hard all race, I can’t speak for Gavin but I was using deliberately breaking traction to get the rotation required to get on the power super early for corner exits. Some cars you just can’t do this as you will be slow but others like this you need to do it for that last bit of pace imo.

Half the people in each race are not using soft tyres, yes the softs can be overheated with just a few errors but if you manage this they are still faster than medium and only wear by about 25% in 20 mins.

Mugello is really tricky, a number of corners should be compromised for a better line through the following corner and I see most people failing to do this and instead take a traditional line and then just left for dead in the following straight.

Default setup in this car is not good, I had to make a number of changes to get inside 1s of the best time at Monza. Using same setup including ratios at Mugello, just re-corrected PSI and that was it.

See you on the track guys
OK guys, today with two ticks of final gear ratio and pushing to drive more aggressively, I clocked 04.7 with medium tires and 03.8 with slicks. I thought it was not possible to be more aggressive because of the driving on ice feeling I was talking about, but evidently it was. Coming from low 06s, that's more or less where I wanted to get, so I should thank all of you and shut up. Now I suppose I have to put in yet more time trying to be consistent at this level.

*** Any suggestions about best PSI very welcome! ***

Two final considerations:

1) in my experience, 80% of the time catching a slide remains a dream. When the car goes, it goes. With this car, I don't feel much power oversteering on exit - the spinning typically happens during quick lateral mass transfers (mid of chicane) and understeering on entry.

2) again and again, the idea that there are another three or even four seconds to gain is simply unfathomable.

Cheers and see you on track.
Have you tried tyre pressure engineer? https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index...eer.28841/
It helps a lot but even with the app, i sometimes feel pressure & temp are just one giant mystery with some cars. Specifically getting heat into the tires with some cars feels impossible.
(01-25-2019, 02:21 PM)Fredrik Söderstedt Wrote:  Have you tried tyre pressure engineer? https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index...eer.28841/
It helps a lot but even with the app, i sometimes feel pressure & temp are just one giant mystery with some cars. Specifically getting heat into the tires with some cars feels impossible.

EXACTLY! I had that very problem with the Porsche GT3 - no way I could have them at the right temperature, whatever I did! I'll try the app you suggest, with many thanks.
https://youtu.be/4ebrCQpCi-U
An interview with Richie Hern, former race driver.
Interesting discussion about both real and sim racing.
Note: He says that he isn't the fastest sim-racer.
On this forum thread there is a downloadable list of the ideal psi for almost every car in ac. Its a great reference tool that everyone should have.

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index...ure.44697/

Also, apparently tire temp doesn't really affect grip the same way psi does, in other words don't worry about the temps because only the correct psi matters.

I'll also recommend the setup market app. People post tunes that they have done for car and track combos that you can download. I generally need to fine tune most of them but its much quicker to do that than try to figure it all out by myself.
As Jason says, aiming for the correct PSI is the way you want to go, the only time to worry about temps is if you are constantly going way too hot in which case driving style or setup is often the problem, that is to say you can’t fix it by going away from the ideal PSI in an attempt to correct the temps.

Iirc ideal PSI in the cossie is 29 PSI.
(01-25-2019, 11:59 AM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  OK guys, today with two ticks of final gear ratio and pushing to drive more aggressively, I clocked 04.7 with medium tires and 03.8 with slicks. I thought it was not possible to be more aggressive because of the driving on ice feeling I was talking about, but evidently it was. Coming from low 06s, that's more or less where I wanted to get, so I should thank all of you and shut up. Now I suppose I have to put in yet more time trying to be consistent at this level.

*** Any suggestions about best PSI very welcome! ***

Two final considerations:

1) in my experience, 80% of the time catching a slide remains a dream. When the car goes, it goes. With this car, I don't feel much power oversteering on exit - the spinning typically happens during quick lateral mass transfers (mid of chicane) and understeering on entry.

2) again and again, the idea that there are another three or even four seconds to gain is simply unfathomable.

Cheers and see you on track.
When I'm jumping into a car for the first time I'll set the cold PSI first, going high teens to low 20s for racing radials, low to mid 20s for street radials, and high 20s to 30s for bias ply on the classics. It gets me in the ballpark most of the time.

The couple of times I tested tires for optimal PSI it game me a mild curve with a range of PSI (hot) that worked well. I could go lower PSI for, say, more tire temps or higher for more responsiveness without sacrificing anything meaningful in terms of grip. So for fun races I just set in in the range and go. If I want to be more competitive I'll spend some time working with a range of PSI and maybe test on the skidpad.
Here is my current PB lap from Thursday night's race, I put on the pedal app for the video so you can see the accelerator and brake inputs, unfortunately it doesn't show the clutch input in the replay mode.

Gavin was in my mirror all race so really was a tough one, this was set on lap 5 of the race.

In the same lap Gavin set his PB which as I write is still at the top of the board:

[Image: united_kingdom.png] Gavin Ranson 02:00.387
[Image: united_kingdom.png] Alex Leif 02:00.396
[Image: lithuania.png] Justinas Jonaitis 02:00.445
[Image: hungary.png] Laszlo Tyukodi 02:00.898
[Image: italy.png] Stefano Zanella 02:01.072
[Image: germany.png] Marvin Zissy 02:01.098
[Image: finland.png] Ilari Siltanen 02:01.144
[Image: russia.png] Ilya Krivokhizhin 02:01.22
[Image: croatia.png] Jurica Slovinac 02:01.262
[Image: united_states.png] Alex Nelson 02:01.264